Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 09:22 AM

447 posts, read 1,718,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
What? The way the population here is exploding, the traffic gets thicker with each passing year, unless a new road is built. I would add at least 15 minutes for a "Rush hour" commute between the two cities, possibly more.
The commute between Raleigh and Durham is much better post 40 widening than before. 540 further cut back the traffic. My girlfriend makes the East Raleigh to American Tobacco building commute in under 45 minutes each day, it is about 35 minutes on weekends with less traffic. Back in the olden days it was a hour minimum.

This of course will change by season, weather, accidents and other commute related issues. For example, this time of year expect slowdowns in the evening near major retail centers and restaurants as shoppers and party people head to these places after work. Crabtree used to be horrible this time of year, it is still bad, but with Triangle Town and South Point it got better.

Traffic in Cary at I40-US1 is only bad, but this does not factor into a Durham to Raleigh commute unless it backs up past Wade Ave, which it will some nights. I440 West at the Wake Forest Road Exit is a slowdown spot most times of year.

I stand by my original statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 04:22 PM
emh emh started this thread

298 posts, read 852,010 times
Thanks for the responses! Sorry if my question was a bit general. I've only been to the Raleigh/Durham area once and I was without a car for most of it so I had a hard time figuring out how the two cities did or did not connect. Mapquest shows that they're about 30 miles apart (I'm guessing that's downtown to downtown) so I'm surprised that you can actually stand with one foot in Raleigh and in Durham.

Old 11-22-2008, 04:32 AM

1,364 posts, read 6,022,976 times
Downtown to downtown is about that, yes....however there are areas of Raleigh (Brier Creek for example) that are very far from downtown Raleigh, and likewise, Durham you can drive for 20 minutes from downtown and still be in the city.

The commute problem comes in because most traffic is heading away from both cities to the centrally located RTP (with the exception of Falls of Neuse and Capital Blvd which is pretty rough getting in to downtown Raleigh from N. Raleigh or Wake Forest)

Old 11-27-2008, 06:03 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,159,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
I think it's more like 32 minutes. Let's not be misleading here!
well we all know google maps is deadly accurate...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary