Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 02:35 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,163,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEMM View Post
The thing is that back home these types of places were right smack in your face.
What types of places? Clearly, we don't understand what you're talking about. Give us an example.

Quote:
Around here we usually have to tell them what to do to the meal. Alot of people have been turned off by us when it comes to the meal.
What are you asking them to do? I've never had a problem asking that something be grilled instead of fried or without the sauce.

Honestly, we're trying to be helpful, but you need to give us more info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 02:35 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,003,675 times
We have done the eating out & diet thing in North Raleigh
so I could give you some ideas but I need to know
what diet... If you are talking about Weight Watchers
or calorie counting Applebees, Ruby Tuesdays, Jason's
Deli, & Boston Market have lots of choices.
It makes it easier to find restaurants that list
each meals calories and nutritional facts.
For fast food most places have some good choices
and even Taco Bell has a "fresco" style that leaves off
the high calorie cheese and sour creme. I am not saying it
is healthy but not as bad as some other choices.
I learned to check out the restaurant online for calories/dish before we went (I'll find the site)
Miltons has a great salad bar!!

Old 11-22-2008, 01:50 AM

11 posts, read 36,148 times
Well my wife is doing the Weight Watchers diet. We did go to Applebee's every once in a while but for some reason Weight Watchers is taking them off their list of acceptable places to dine in. We had a few problem with some restaurants. My wife would ask for a meal to be made a certain way & they basically did what they wanted. They did fix the meal after she brought it to their attention but I guess she was a little turned off by that(must be the diet getting to her). I think I worded the question wrong to be honest with you guys. I was just trying to ask if there were any places in North Raleigh or Raleigh itself that are health conscience specific.

Old 11-22-2008, 06:56 AM

1,277 posts, read 3,546,799 times
I find great healthy choices at Saloman's on six forks - celebration plaza. There is a dish called 'chicken brenna' that is just plain chicken and lots of veggies, no sauce. and yummy too. You can substitute veggies for french fries with any of their meals - just ask. although their ff are so good, it is hard to do the substitution! Their portions are so big compared to ww portion size, you will need to spit meal in half and take it home.

Old 11-22-2008, 09:56 AM

1 posts, read 2,358 times
I believe its alright to ask a restaurant to make minor adjustments to a dish to satisfy a customer, but don't take it too far. The chef puts a lot of work into creating a menu, so please don't ask him to cook something in a technique that is totally unrelated to the menu and style of the restaurant. I would never go to a place like Maximillians, Fins, Duck and Dumpling ... and ask for a for a plain baked chicken breast with some steamed brocoli. That would be an insult to the chef, and I would rather stay home and make my own healthy meal.

Old 11-23-2008, 11:41 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,163,520 times
This is a perfect question for your wife to ask at a Weight Watchers meeting! I'm sure that's a major topic of discussion at meetings.

But I still don't know of any restaurants that are "health conscience specific," whatever that is. Quite frankly, a restaurant that served only low fat, high fiber "healthy" meals would probably go out of business in a month. Could you describe the kinds of places you used to see "back home"?

Old 11-23-2008, 12:27 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
2nd the Soup Man...

Old 01-12-2010, 11:23 AM

1,495 posts, read 3,719,746 times
I've been here close to three years and I just had thee best lunch at Poppyseed Market.
Give your tastebuds a treat..you won't be disappointed.

Home

Old 01-12-2010, 01:08 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,063,317 times
I was on a restricted diet for health reasons a few years back so I know how hard it is.

When we went out I found that servers/chefs were very helpful about menu options if you just let them know you are on a restricted diet for health reasons and not just because you are a "picky eater", as might be the assumption.

My youngest son is on a restricted diet for food allergies and at Carrabba's they had someone from the kitchen come out and discuss with us some menu choices. Granted, he was 2 1/2 at the time so I'm sure the "cuteness" factor played in his favor but they were very nice and very accomodating.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:53 PM

2,905 posts, read 5,919,154 times
Try Aladdin's on Falls of Neuse - cheap and freaking delicious and very healthy. Miltons Pizza and Pasta has a salad bar that has a lot of healthy choices - they are on Six Forks at Strickland or in Wakefield. Hayashi Japanese/Sushi in Wakefield is also good, and so is Over the Falls Deli in Wake Forest. We frequently try to eat out for lunch (both my wife and I work at home and like to leave the house once in a while) and bring our baby along, so eating healthy food is handy when the baby wants what we are eating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary