U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 10:56 AM

185 posts, read 659,424 times

Advertisements

Well, I've lived in Durham a few months and love it. Of course the economy stinks everywhere and Public Librarianship takes the hit early.

I'm working on alternative careers in the area but...

I have interest from Fayetteville that I can't turn down in this economy.

The job is perfect and close enough to the triangle to make that second job hop easy.

Is there any hope for a college hippie town lover in Fayetteville? (not plastic suburbia-not ghetto).

Thanks for any Duke area Durham lovers who might know my ideal.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 11:11 AM

449 posts, read 1,573,789 times
I have no idea what you just said, or what you're asking.

Put the bowl down, grab some Scooby Snacks, and try again later.

Old 11-21-2008, 12:19 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,671,985 times
Are you asking if a hipster will like Fayetteville? If so, my opinion is no. Fayettenam is a solid military town, with the farthest thing from a "college town" mentality you can possibly have.

That said, in this economy, you should still seriously consider any decent career opportunity. Suck it up until the economy improves, then move up here to Durham or Chapel Hill. My 2 cents worth.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:00 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,397,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilirubin View Post

I think he or she said something about part-time job......Duke lovers........hippies.......Fayetteville........gh etto.......plastic. Does that help?

Old 11-21-2008, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilirubin View Post

Reading comprehension problem?

I enjoy college towns. I might need to take an offer in a conservative military town.

I understand Cary is nice, but I don't care for suburban boomtowns either so maybe you could just not reply to threads that don't apply to you.

Thanks.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
Are you asking if a hipster will like Fayetteville? If so, my opinion is no. Fayettenam is a solid military town, with the farthest thing from a "college town" mentality you can possibly have.

That said, in this economy, you should still seriously consider any decent career opportunity. Suck it up until the economy improves, then move up here to Durham or Chapel Hill. My 2 cents worth.
I've reread my post and it doesn't seem that complicated. You seem to understand completely, don't be dissuaded from offering help by negative posters with too much time on their hands.

Quote:
That is my situation. Since I realize Fayetteville is the opposite of what I'm looking for culturally, I'm hoping some friendly posters might have some tips (neighborhoods/other) to make it more enjoyable.

Why is everybody so negative around here now? It didn't used to be that way.

I am not a hipster, I'm over 50. I like the variety of restaurants, people etc. you find in some college towns. I've lived in Boston, Austin and Tampa fl. Didn't like Tampa. In Durham now.

Last edited by Tampa Red; 11-21-2008 at 01:21 PM..

Old 11-21-2008, 02:16 PM

5,507 posts, read 9,904,944 times
Durham really isn't a college town. That would be places like Athens, Chapel Hill, Gainesville I'd say. That being said I'm not sure there is much in Fayetteville in terms of a hippie environment.

I'm not surprised you didn't like Tampa. I can't see how Fayetteville wouldn't be a lot worse.

Old 11-21-2008, 02:28 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,671,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Red View Post
I've reread my post and it doesn't seem that complicated. You seem to understand completely, don't be dissuaded from offering help by negative posters with too much time on their hands.
Well, actually, it took a couple of readings and some pondering to figure out what you were trying to say. It wasn't all that clear. But I work with engineers all day and am used to trying to figure out what they're attempting to communicate.

Old 11-21-2008, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Durham really isn't a college town. That would be places like Athens, Chapel Hill, Gainesville I'd say. That being said I'm not sure there is much in Fayetteville in terms of a hippie environment.

I'm not surprised you didn't like Tampa. I can't see how Fayetteville wouldn't be a lot worse.
Well there are lots of young people, ethnic restaurants and cultural activities that led me to believe that.

Plus all those old stone buildings and lawns in my way when I try to take the direct route to Hillsborough.

Is it possible anyone has actual advice on Fayetteville? I already know what I might not like, so advice on what I might look for would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-21-2008, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
Well, actually, it took a couple of readings and some pondering to figure out what you were trying to say. It wasn't all that clear. But I work with engineers all day and am used to trying to figure out what they're attempting to communicate.
The idea was a little complex, but you managed to decipher it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary