Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 10:55 AM

945 posts, read 1,972,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeisnotmyname View Post
It is less conservative then other areas, it has a bio-fuels plant, a few co-ops and health food stores. It's a wonderful small town. It's too far away for college kids, but I know a few professors that live there.

If people want to live in a town where no one votes Democrat and Limbaugh is considered great radio listening, then it's probably not going to be town for them.

I am conservative and I vote Democrat 50% of the time, as conservative has nothing to do with Democrat or Republican. We also shop at health food stores and are totally into alternative fuels...other than using corn. I don't think those examples are a good way to tell if Pittsboro is conservative for liberal. But we all do seem to be in agreement that Pittsboro is more liberal than conservative and may not be the best for what the OP is looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 11:05 AM

316 posts, read 1,006,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit MA Now View Post
I am conservative and I vote Democrat 50% of the time, as conservative has nothing to do with Democrat or Republican. We also shop at health food stores and are totally into alternative fuels...other than using corn. I don't think those examples are a good way to tell if Pittsboro is conservative for liberal. But we all do seem to be in agreement that Pittsboro is more liberal than conservative and may not be the best for what the OP is looking for.
True conservatism has nothing to do with a political party, but often times that is not what is meant when people are asking if a place is 'conservative' for them.

Old 11-22-2008, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeisnotmyname View Post
True conservatism has nothing to do with a political party, but often times that is not what is meant when people are asking if a place is 'conservative' for them.

Very true. So it would help if the OP would let us know if he prefers not to be around Democrats or around Liberals.

Old 11-22-2008, 01:04 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,757,253 times
Thumbs up Pbo

Pittsboro is an old NC city that was founded back when the court house and city square was the center of life. Back before shiny, new Pottery Barn was all the rage. The downtown has been well preserved. Several independent (note NC residents creating jobs for NC employees and NC taxes) will be found in the small downtown area.

I have had the opportunity to explore this area quite a bit in the last 4 months. (I live in So. Durham). The people that I know in PBO and Chatham Co in general all say that Chatham Co is a mix of liberal and conservative. The thing I love about downtown PBO is that you can go to the General Store (a cafe) have lunch surrounded by all this wonderful local art for sale, or dinner and listen to an incredible local band, and you get that funky, art community flair while there. And on the way back to your car, you pass several old churches that are pillars of the community. I love PBO for it's art vibe / left leaning and it's traditions like the court house on a square and 6 churches within throwing distance.

There are backwoods areas with PBO addresses that are poor. There are shiny new subdivisions w/ a PBO address. There are 100 year old homes w/ a PBO address. And there are 1950s ranch houses with a PBO address. I like the mix of folks there.

Old 11-22-2008, 02:37 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,212,831 times
Thx all. FYI I could give a rat's behind how people vote so long as they don't get in my face w/it - probably best to say little else as I don't want to digress into some political sidetrack.

Don't care about downtown areas so much, but regarding an area and people generally, I prefer to lean away from "liberal areas" (for lack of a better way to put it), not that that means it has to be hard-core conservative either.

Assuming most agree, "more liberal than conservative" is somewhat concerning, but if that means it's basically in the middle, that's fine. If the people are more solidly liberal, probably best for me to pass. Demographically, is it age and/or race "diverse" or more homogenous similar to many other NC small towns (my impression at least)?

Old 11-22-2008, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
If you are having trouble viewing them you likely have a setting on your computer like a firewall that is preventing them from showing up.
Probably why - any chance you could post them elsewhere or email some or something? Ideally again don't care too much about downtown per se, but any snaps of the main roads or areas "typical" 'burbs would be great.....!

Old 11-22-2008, 02:41 PM

I would pass on it near the downtown area and areas north, but would then consider a little further south of downtown.....based on what your likes are (and I TOTALLY understand what you are describing in your likes and dislikes).

Old 11-22-2008, 02:49 PM

316 posts, read 1,006,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill545 View Post
Obviously not a hotbed of cultural activity, but I don't care about that. What I want to know is whether this a run-down, backwoods, hole-in-the-wall place or just a nice small scenic rural town?
What exactly are you looking for? It may help to approach it that way rather then asking what each town is 'like'.

Old 11-22-2008, 02:55 PM

I'm looking for a place that isn't a run-down, backwoods, hole-in-the-wall place but rather is a nice small scenic rural town. And not particularly liberal. Thought that was pretty clear.

Mostly I'm just looking for a "nice" and fairly quiet area to live - to rent a house for now, and hopefully buy in a year or so. I've come to the conclusion I won't find it anywhere within 440 or 540, or south or east of Raleigh. I have therefore looked mostly north of the city and Cary-ish areas, but not finding much yet...

Old 11-22-2008, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill545 View Post
I'm looking for a place that isn't a run-down, backwoods, hole-in-the-wall place but rather is a nice small scenic rural town. And not particularly liberal. Thought that was pretty clear.

Here is the problem Bill. In this area, you go from well maintained, higher population areas to run down hole in the wall places really fast. I think your best options are certain areas of Cary, Apex & Holly Springs. It will get you most of what you want, while avoiding the certain unpleasantrys that you & I would rather avoid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary