Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 11:04 PM

1,074 posts, read 3,246,625 times

Advertisements

I am trying to figure out what HOA dues are in local (anywhere in the triangle) high-end neighborhoods to compare with one that fits the descriptors below:

approx. 2 acre lots
Homes priced from about $800k to about $1.9 million
No shared amenities like a pool or private roads
limited shared land for the HOA to landscape

If you know of any similar neighborhoods, can you tell me what they are? And the dues if you happen to know? Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 09:40 AM

266 posts, read 1,052,519 times
Default First time I have been asked this...

so I looked some up. I used Wake County active lsitings just to narrow it down.
There were some in the $400 to $600 per year range: Kelsey at Falls Lake, Falls Lake, Harbourgate, Papillon Park, Georges Grant
On the higher end:
The Back Nine $720
La Ventana $730
Sheffield $1000
Grey Walls at Trago $1200
Radcliffe $1500
Birlands $1800
The Barony $2,220 per year.
On the lower end:
Grenadier $240
Wyman Park $300
Wakefield $240 (They charge for amenities separately)
Some have none:
Old Keith
Woodlake Estates
Bluffs of Greenview

Old 11-23-2008, 11:37 AM

615 posts, read 1,503,519 times
If there is no pool or clubhouse, why would a community have HOA dues? And do you have to pay it if you opt not to use the amenities?

Just curious, as I am in a neighborhood with no HOA so I am not familiar..

Old 11-23-2008, 11:52 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmom5497 View Post
If there is no pool or clubhouse, why would a community have HOA dues? And do you have to pay it if you opt not to use the amenities?

Just curious, as I am in a neighborhood with no HOA so I am not familiar..
NC law requires the developer to either designate a party to maintain common area or to establish the HOA formation when filing development plans.

Common area takes many forms besides pools and clubhouses. Common areas can be community open spaces, walking trails, a sign at the subdivision entrance, ponds, stormwater retention structures, private streets, "fancy" streetlights that are above what the municipality might require, etc.

The HOA has responsibility for maintaining the common areas, and typically may buy a master insurance policy to protect the residents from liability claims.

Without support from an HOA or other responsible party, the common areas may deteriorate due to lack of maintenance. Stormwater control measures may degrade and fail, allowing excessive runoff or erosion to dump silt into ground water, or wash out yards and streets.

Old 11-23-2008, 11:58 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,590,017 times
I have no idea what the HOA dues are there, but I did some work for people who built in the Devon neighborhood in N. Raleigh a while ago, which sounds very similar to what you are asking about (except maybe for the lot sizes). The houses were all amazing, no community pool but a very nice entry way with landscaping if I recall.

Old 11-23-2008, 02:08 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times
Sure would save money if there were no common areas and the city was required to provide the services property owners are funding with their taxes.

Builders like "planned" communities so they can stuff more homes on the acreage than normal zoning would permit.

Shame people fall for this ruse when the only common areas are useless junk like signs.

Old 11-23-2008, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Sure would save money if there were no common areas and the city was required to provide the services property owners are funding with their taxes.

Builders like "planned" communities so they can stuff more homes on the acreage than normal zoning would permit.

Shame people fall for this ruse when the only common areas are useless junk like signs.
I think this is pretty much baloney, and not really relevant to or helpful to the original poster.

Old 11-23-2008, 02:13 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I think this is pretty much baloney, and not really relevant to or helpful to the original poster.
Might help other readers to decide if HOA or non-HOA was what they needed.

Old 11-23-2008, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Might help other readers to decide if HOA or non-HOA was what they needed.
But it offered little truth and no guidance.
And it was OT and should be its own thread.

Old 11-23-2008, 02:42 PM

945 posts, read 1,972,066 times
Quote:

Something this far off base has to come from someone that does not own a home. The overwhelming majority of us prefer the protection that an HOA provides. No one is falling for anything. Like any business, you want to make sure you are buying into a good HOA. Based on what the OP is considering, I would say a price range of $480 to $960 would be about average.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary