Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 08:06 AM

1,277 posts, read 3,548,381 times

Advertisements

Okay...Yes, all the stores are having major sales and starting them much earlier than 'black friday'. Yesterday shopping, I found the stores are packed w/ folks buying their gifts. Arms loaded out to their cards. It is hard to find a parking lot space @ the mall, the restaurants were jammed @ lunchtime. Last night, movie theatre had a huge line for tickets.

This is normal for around here at this time of year. With all the talk, I was expecting many fewer folks out and about.

Has it just not hit here yet? Or are the sales enticing folks out to spend a bit earlier than they would have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 08:10 AM

140 posts, read 419,503 times
I think retailers are lowering their prices, which lures people in for a few sales. Me personally, I order everything on line, no crowds to beat or parking spots fights

Old 11-23-2008, 08:36 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
I'm in FL and it's the same here. The stores and restaurants have been packed. At least yesterday they were. hmmm It's good to know this.

Old 11-23-2008, 08:44 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
maybe more people have credit cards and using them like it is there new paycheck Their purchases are technically free least for a month.

Old 11-23-2008, 08:47 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
We live 1/2 mile from the train track. I have mentioned before that when the train traffic picks up the economy picks up too. The trains are rolling!

Old 11-23-2008, 08:54 AM

945 posts, read 1,972,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeLuvNC View Post
Okay...Yes, all the stores are having major sales and starting them much earlier than 'black friday'. Yesterday shopping, I found the stores are packed w/ folks buying their gifts. Arms loaded out to their cards. It is hard to find a parking lot space @ the mall, the restaurants were jammed @ lunchtime. Last night, movie theatre had a huge line for tickets.

This is normal for around here at this time of year. With all the talk, I was expecting many fewer folks out and about.

Has it just not hit here yet? Or are the sales enticing folks out to spend a bit earlier than they would have?

No no no no no! This can't be. People are just looking and not buying at the stores. People are not eating at the restaurants....they are just asking to see what the food looks like. Nobody can afford to buy anything and banks no longer have any money to lend. Everything is shut down. The fact that some people think other people may actually purchase something is simply a conspiracy theory by Rush-Bots.

Now back to reality. We are doing much better here than other parts of the country. Yes things have slowed in some areas, but so far we have not been seriously hurt. It will get worse before it gets better, but people focus on doom & gloom way too much. Just plan for the future and live for today.

Old 11-23-2008, 08:56 AM

615 posts, read 1,503,628 times
I agree. I feel that as long as the majority of America can still afford mutliple cell phones, eating out often, fairly new cars and vacations(of any kind), I do not think of this as a "recession".

Old 11-23-2008, 08:58 AM

Location: Apex, North Carolina [Shepherds Vineyard Subdivision]
269 posts, read 1,156,512 times
Thumbs up Keep it up!

Your area is definately beating all the odds currently, hopefully it won't catch up to your area like it has in so many others. I'm in the retail business over here in So Cal and we were down over 35% this year from the last, but I do see stronger floor traffic now after the elections, so lets hope it is coming back! That is another reason why we want to move over to your area, last year your area showed a 10%-16% economic growth, while most areas are showing negative growth. Whatever your doing, keep it up!

Old 11-23-2008, 09:03 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,561,460 times
I hear people telling me this is Depression 2.0 and I just don't see it. Sure we're not doing as well as we were 3-4 years ago (as a whole), but when people are waiting hundreds deep to buy the new samsung phone, then we are not in a depression. I was at Brier Creek last weekend and it was literally the most crowded I've ever seen the place, and that counted last Thanksgiving and Christmas too. This country obviously has some economic pains right now, but this is in no way a depression. Try 25-30% unemnployment and people EVERYWHERE waiting in line to get bread and milk.

It's just not happening people, so I suggest you stop watching MSNBC and CNN and get real.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:06 AM

945 posts, read 1,972,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
I hear people telling me this is Depression 2.0 and I just don't see it. Sure we're not doing as well as we were 3-4 years ago (as a whole), but when people are waiting hundreds deep to buy the new samsung phone, then we are not in a depression. I was at Brier Creek last weekend and it was literally the most crowded I've ever seen the place, and that counted last Thanksgiving and Christmas too. This country obviously has some economic pains right now, but this is in no way a depression. Try 25-30% unemnployment and people EVERYWHERE waiting in line to get bread and milk.

It's just not happening people, so I suggest you stop watching MSNBC and CNN and get real.

Rep points coming your way for the post of the day.

Ooops. It won't let me give them to you, yet again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary