Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 07:15 PM

1 posts, read 3,048 times

Advertisements

The only thing worse is 2 big (German shepherd) dogs barking at night! The people let them out at 11-11:30 & they bark a lot (having to get up really early, this is past "bedtime" for us neighbors). Sat. night they were barking at 2 AM & near 3 AM! I don't feel responsible for buying them zap collars, which they probably wouldn't use. Don't want to be a "bad neighbor" but this is getting old! Think I'll give animal control a call & see what they say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 09:55 AM

835 posts, read 2,869,629 times
I understand your frustration believe me. We have a hound that barks nonstop day and night. It's in a neighborhood behind ours, and the house/dog is directly behind our house and the side that our bedroom is on. We can't have our windows open without the stupid thing howling at 6 am! Ever hear a hound bark? Good Lord!

Old 04-28-2009, 12:52 PM

569 posts, read 1,972,589 times
Don't know how well they work, but there are ultrasonic devices designed to stop nearby neighbors dogs from barking. They are kind of like a super dog whistle. When they detect barking they send out a sound that only dogs can hear.

Stop Barking Dogs with the Innotek CUB-50 Bark Stopper
PetSafe PBC00-11216 Outdoor Ultrasonic Bark Control System - Waterproof and effective to stop your neighbors dog from barking

PS Here is a very good site about problem barking
http://www.barkingdogs.net/

Last edited by jeffs555; 04-28-2009 at 01:11 PM..

Old 04-28-2009, 02:35 PM

249 posts, read 689,436 times
You can also contact your HOA. In my old house, we had two neighbors behind us who left their dogs out all day and night. One of them would bark really early in the morning. So I finally contacted the HOA. Next day that dog was gone and never returned.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:39 PM

23,065 posts, read 28,778,528 times
Default In NYC

I know this is a late posting, but I've just discovered Search Forums and my pet peeve is Noise.

Try and craft a noise ordinance. I was just reading on one of the Noise sites about NYC and barking dogs.

In NYC fines of $50-$175 are imposed on dog owners if the dog barks more than 5 minutes during night time hours, and 10 minutes during the daytime.

Good luck! I'm lucky to be in a townhouse complex where if the dog owner gets more than two complaints, they must get rid of the dog. I know that's very strict and unreasonable to some, and I may despise that rule some day if I were to get a dog. But how could I complain, having read the rules and reg's before I moved in. I was forewarned.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:05 PM

476 posts, read 1,670,975 times
Wink Barking Dogs

This might not be too helpful, but reminded me of (what I think is) a VERY funny story from my childhood.

We had neighbors who had a pair of dogs, and when one got barking the other joined in. They left those dogs out ALL night long.

My Mom got tired of listening to them every night, and as a single mother of SEVEN, this constant barking did not sit well. On several occasions she called the neighbors to ask them to "Please quiet your dogs".

We would hear the man-of-the-house yelling out his window at the hounds (which usually made all of the other dogs in the neighborhood start howling) and they would quiet down for awhile and then start it up all over again a little bit later. After a few nights of this my Mom got up out of bed, put her robe on over her nightgown, and with her hair up in rollers she stormed down the street to their house. She rang their bell and when the husband came to the door she asked if she could borrow a deck of cards.

"A deck of cards?", he wanted to know... to which she replied, "IF I'M STAYING UP ALL NIGHT THEN SO ARE YOU, SO EITHER SHUT THOSE DARN (*) DOGS UP OR CUT THE DARN (*) DECK!!!" We never did hear those dogs bark at night again.

I so wish I could have seen their faces when they opened the door to find her crazed in her nightie & curlers - woo-hoo! We were SO PROUD! I bet she scared the you-know-what out of them in her sleep deprived state! You just don't mess with Mamma!

I guess this happened around 1970 when you didn't have to worry about what your neighbors might do if you were to show up at their doorstep in the middle of the night! Even in your PJ's - LOL!

Thanks for rattling that old memory loose!

Old 05-28-2009, 05:49 PM

820 posts, read 2,781,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooks2007 View Post

I guess this happened around 1970 when you didn't have to worry about what your neighbors might do if you were to show up at their doorstep in the middle of the night! Even in your PJ's - LOL!

Thanks for rattling that old memory loose!
Or the 1970 when most people valued the well being of other humans more than the well being of family pets!

That story is great, some good imagery!

Old 07-24-2009, 06:23 PM

9 posts, read 28,270 times
I live in Durham and was wondering if there was a noise ordinance for Dogs
My neighbor has 6 chained up dogs in the back yard !! when one barks most of the others bark too, It's constantly all day and night - one in particular pit female barks non stop - she was even given away and then brought back not even a week later. I heard her when she was back and very dissapointed when I found she was back because the people who got her could not control her.
I am aware of the tether law in Durham and look forward to my neighbor having to DO SOMETHING about all those animals in one yard plus theres a new litter every few months, they have already been given notices about the dogs not being registerd and NOT HAVING RABIES SHOTS
I just want the barking to stop - I heard there was a new Dog Barking Ordinance coming somewhere and I'm hoping it's Durham!!

Old 08-29-2009, 11:14 PM

476 posts, read 1,670,975 times
Default New Ordinance re: Dogs in Durham

WOW - Six dogs all chained?

Durham recently passed an anti-tethering law that will go into effect Jan. 2010.

I don't know anything about a barking ordinance, but if your neighbor is not allowed to keep the dogs chained up outside then they'll either have to fence them (which makes them less cranky and hopefully they'd bark less) or keep them inside which would definitely help your problem.

Informative article on www.mync.com - story with details is here:

http://durham.mync.com/site/Durham/n...gins-jan-2010/

Quick end note that might help says to call Animal Contol with any questions.

"Animal Control strives to help the citizens of Durham County with their animal concerns. If you have any questions regarding this new anti-tethering Ordinance please call us at 919 560-0630. "

Last edited by brooks2007; 08-29-2009 at 11:16 PM.. Reason: oops I missed the link!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary