Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 09:28 AM

300 posts, read 973,202 times

Advertisements

This morning we had another terrible collision at McCrimmon Pkwy and Green Level to Durham. It looked like the car heading east on McCrimmon didn't see the oncoming traffic on Green Level and they hit almost head on. This is yet another accident at this horrible intersection.

Everyone in the area should call Laura Cove in the Town of Cary Traffic Engineering department and demand this intersection (along with Carpenter Fire Station and Green Level) be fixed immediately. There are "plans" to put a flashing light at McCrimmon and a temporary signal at Carpenter Fire Station, but we need something in place immediately (as in this week).

It's just a matter of time until someone is killed at those intersections unless the Town of Cary or NCDOT fixes the current traffic flow.

Laura's contact info:
Laura Cove
Traffic Engineering Manager
(919) 462-3937
laura.cove@townofcary.org

Last edited by gobirdz27; 11-24-2008 at 09:30 AM.. Reason: Added Laura's contact info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 10:03 AM

260 posts, read 638,191 times
I just sent Laura an email. I also noticed accidents at 55 and CFS 2 separate times last weekend. It is scary!

Old 11-24-2008, 12:21 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,424,269 times
I also sent an email to Laura as well as forwarded the information to a friend who lives in Amberly. Safety is so important.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:57 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,986,002 times
That intersection is a nightmare. Not just the heavy traffic, but the intersection itself just doesn't line up (same problem at GLtoD and CFS). I regularly travel south on Green Level to Durham and turn left onto McCrimmon. To turn left, I have to basically cross through the intersection to reach McCrimmon. If someone is coming north on Green Level to Durham and turning left onto McCrimmon (into Amberly), we wind up blocking each other. You have to go past the other car and then turn left behind them to avoid winding up on the wrong side of the road. It's crazy.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:41 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,781,501 times
Can someone post a Google Map link to the location?

Old 11-25-2008, 06:23 AM

260 posts, read 638,191 times
Default Town of Cary reply and map link

Green Level Durham and McCrimmon Parkway

Laura's Response...
Quote:
Good evening,
Thank you for your e-mail and taking the time to contact us. Yours is one of my e-mails that I have received recently with concerns at these same intersections. We are equally concerned with providing a safe and efficient transportation system for motorists as well as pedestrians and cyclists and we appreciate the input of citizens such as yourself. An extra set of eyes out there is always helpful.

With regard to signal installation in general, we review an intersection to see if any "warrants" for signalization are met. These warrants are established nationally and require us to analyze a lot of criteria related to signal installation before actually moving forward and installing a signal since signals might solve one problem but also might create others. Traffic signals do not always prevent collisions. In many instances, the frequency of rear-end and side-swipe collisions will increase when signals are installed while right-angle and left-turn collisions usually decrease. The following web page describes some of the warrants and the overall process in more detail. The installation of multi-way stop signs requires similar analysis and "warrants". In addition, most of the routes you referenced are State routes, so we work closely and coordinate with the North Carolina Department of Transportation on these issues.

Traffic Signals (http://www.townofcary.org/depts/dsdept/engineering/engproj/trafficsignalsoverview.htm - broken link)

That being said, with regard to the intersection of Green Level to Durham Road and Carpenter Fire Station Road, the Town has a project to widen Green Level to Durham Road from this intersection north towards McCrimmon Parkway. This project will also include additional lanes on Carpenter Fire Station Road at the intersection with Green Level to Durham Road as well as adding signalization at this intersection since the warrants for signalization have been met at this intersection. The project will probably start early next summer. In the meantime, we are continuing to monitor this intersection and have recently added additional and larger stop signs and "through traffic does not stop" signs. Unfortunately, we are still receiving reports of crashes and near crashes. A temporary traffic signal on wood poles is under design and I hope will be installed shortly. A permanent signal installation will take place near the end of the Town's project to widen Green Level to Durham Road from this intersection to McCrimmon Parkway. You also might have noticed the recent temporary closure of Carpenter Fire Station Road. It is my understanding that the North Carolina Department of Transportation is resurfacing Carpenter Fire Station Road just west of Green Level to Durham Road. They told me that as a part of their traffic control and detour routing, they put up an additional stop sign and closed a portion of Carpenter Fire Station Road. They indicated that this was a short term closure and then they will remove the additional stop signs and the intersection will be back to the normal pattern where Green Level to Durham Road has to stop and Carpenter Fire Station Road does not.

With regard to the intersection of Green Level to Durham Road and McCrimmon Parkway, we made some improvements to that intersection last summer but unfortunately we are still experiencing crashes at that location as well. The Cary Town Council at their meeting last Thursday night approved staff's recommendation to look at other options for this intersection and we will begin doing so immediately.

At this time, the intersection of Green Level to Durham and Cary Glen Boulevard does not meet the warrants for signalization. We do recognize that with the increased vehicular and pedestrian traffic as a result of new shopping center, this situation could change and thus we are continuing to monitor it.

In some of the other e-mails that I received from some of your neighbors in Cary Park, they referenced concerns about speeding on Green Level to Durham Road. I have copied Lt. Parker of Cary Police Department's Traffic Safety Team on this e-mail so that he can share that with their Traffic Safety Team members and routine patrol units.

Thank you again for sharing your concerns with us. Please feel free to contact us with any additional traffic engineering questions.

Lori Cove, P.E.
Traffic Engineering Manager
Town of Cary
P.O. Box 8005
Cary, NC 27512-8005
(919)462-3937

Old 02-06-2009, 02:13 PM

In case anyone cares, the light at GLTD and Carpenter Fire station was turned on last week and the red/yellow beacon at McCrimmon Pkwy was turned on yesterday. Nice work by the town of Cary to respond to this in (relatively) quick fashion.

Old 02-06-2009, 02:24 PM

415 posts, read 1,110,281 times
Thanks for the update!

Old 06-30-2009, 03:52 PM

Well folks, it's happened again. Another terrible 3 car accident last night at McCrimmon and GLTD. Add to this 2 accidents on GLTD last week near Cary Park plus 1 accident on Carpenter Fire Station at Cary Glenn.

I'm asking everyone who's concerned about this to please call Tim Bailey at the Town of Cary Engineering department at (919) 469-4030 and demand this be fixed. How many deaths on this road will it take for the Town of Cary or NCDOT to fix it? I don't want to hear "It's a State Road, therefore NCDOT has to fix it and it will take time to do a study" or "A 4 way stop will cause more accidents".

That's BS. If it were important to these public servants they'd have it fixed this week.

Old 06-30-2009, 04:38 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,864,857 times
Default Green Level / Cary Glen fatal accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobirdz27 View Post
Well folks, it's happened again. Another terrible 3 car accident last night at McCrimmon and GLTD. Add to this 2 accidents on GLTD last week near Cary Park plus 1 accident on Carpenter Fire Station at Cary Glenn.

I'm asking everyone who's concerned about this to please call Tim Bailey at the Town of Cary Engineering department at (919) 469-4030 and demand this be fixed. How many deaths on this road will it take for the Town of Cary or NCDOT to fix it? I don't want to hear "It's a State Road, therefore NCDOT has to fix it and it will take time to do a study" or "A 4 way stop will cause more accidents".

That's BS. If it were important to these public servants they'd have it fixed this week.
The trouble with this section of Green Level Durham Road is that people just drive too fast and there is a blind spot when vehicles are in the dip just before the Green Level / Cary Glen intersection and as people cross Green Level into Cary Park from Harris Teeter they take their life in their hands. It is a wide road and the development and associated traffic growth in this area requires serious review of a number of intersections before this is repeated again.

I saw in the N&O that 150 people protested following last weeks accident in which a young girl died. As you say the comments by the authorities are BS and more people need to die before any action is forthcomming.

Also, separate to the above issue there are significant sections of Green Level Durham and Church Roads close to Cary Park that require urgent remedial action. What happened to 'Stimulus Funding for shovell ready projects?' the potholes in this road are shovell ready to be filled

Quiet marchers push for a light - Cary - News & Observer (http://www.newsobserver.com/news/wake/cary/story/1584092.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary