Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 03:55 PM

32 posts, read 129,456 times

Advertisements

I admit that I have been using city-data to help me figue out my life as I made they big move from Florida to Raleigh. Being a new wife, a new homeowner, having a new job and being in a brand new state have been stressful, and you guys have got me through it.

I had a horrible experience with a local fence company (PM me for details).

My husband is in grad school and I am a social worker dealing with child abuse (obviously, we dont make a lot of money). We recently undertook the one big project for our new home: building a fence in the backyard for the dog. We did our research (we thought) and went with a nice, polite man, that took thorough measurements, read our land survey, and had an official looking contract drawn up. We signed with his company

The agreed upon dates were November 17th-19th. One day to set the posts, one day for the cement to harden, and the last day to put up the pickets and cross bars. From the get go, this company had been giving us the run around. Not answering phone calls, not returning voicemails, not returning e-mails, etc). On the first day, the contractor had to call me home from work because they bank wouldn't cash their check due to not having sufficient funds in their account! On Wednesday, with only the posts being laid, the subcontractor stated that he would finish the fence while my husband and I were on vacation. We spoke with him twice while we were gone and he stated that he had been there working on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Imagine our surprise when we came home and nothing had been done--at all. We called and e-mailed the company and this morning, the "president" of the company (the mad we had the contract with) called and said that he couldn't finish the job because his company was failing and that the sub contractor paid his laborers before buying our materials. He said that there was nothing he could do and that he doesn't have the money to pay for the materials to finish the job. The contract called for 25% at the contract sign date ($515.00), 50% on the first day ($1,066) and 25% upon completion of the project. Pursuant to our end of the contract, we have already paid 75% of the total fee. No, the company is saying that unless we pay for all additional materials and labor up front, then they wont complete our project.

There are several other details to this story, but that's the bulk of it. This is all the savings we had, and we dont mind fulfilling our end of the contract, but we just need the fence to be completed. Our HOA will begin charging us for every day that this project isn't completed.

I e-mailed Five On Your Side and they told me I was the 7th eprson to complain about this company and they were already working a story about them. I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and the Attorney General's Office. I am also filing paperwork in small claims court tomorrow.

At the end of that long winded tale, I guess my question is whether or not anyone has any more ideas about what I can do or if someone knows of a company that would finish the rest of the fence (as mentioned, the posts are set in concrete, all that needs to be done is the pickets, gates and cross bars)? Please help if you can...or throw sympathetic glances my way
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 05:00 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,920,686 times
You want my honest opinion? Be glad it was not more $. This happened to me years ago on a home addition. Only there was $15,000 involved. Since the contractor was going bankrupt there was little I could do. I went after his bond, but he had failed to renew it so I was out. Now, I always check their insurance and bonds, to make sure they are updated.

If the posts are in and concreted, it would not take much to finish them. Do you know some friends that are skilled with a nail gun and level? I have no idea how big the fence is, but I did my own fence on a 1/4 acre lot in a day by myself. It's really rather simple once the posts are in. You can get 5 or even 6 ft cedar pickets for under $1.50 each at most any lumber supplier.

Old 11-24-2008, 05:04 PM

1,540 posts, read 5,563,693 times
I do know someone that might be able to help you out. PM me or direct email me and I will get you their names so you can explain the situation. These are clients of mine and great people that do fences, ponds, landscaping you name it. I can send you the link to their website.

Old 11-24-2008, 05:10 PM

79 posts, read 227,000 times
I'm so sorry to hear about this, you can PM me and I have a name of someone that might be able to help you. I never pay any of my contractors i.e. roofing, plumbing, painting or whatever until the job is completed and I have inspected it. In the future insist on this so you don't get taken advantage of.

Old 11-24-2008, 05:34 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
Sorry this happened to you. I could only imagine with moving into a new house and not having much money left. My DH has a landscaping company and does landscape installation. If he has a job over $1000, he asks for half down to cover sod or supplies. Knock on wood, he's never had a problem. Bottom line, most businesses out there aren't like this. This is a shame this hapened to you and I still would persue the company. What comes around, goes around. Hopefully you can find someone to help you.

Old 11-24-2008, 06:12 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
Try the district attorney to see if they might be able to do a felony theft case. Might be possible depending on the number defrauded and the circumstances.

The slam of jail doors many times gets work completed.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:56 AM

123 posts, read 611,630 times
What was the name of the company. Was looking to install a new fence and want to be sure that I don't go throught them.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:03 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBear75 View Post
What was the name of the company. Was looking to install a new fence and want to be sure that I don't go throught them.
For fencing...I'd recommend Seegars. They have been around this area for a very long time. The last fence they did for me was 18 years ago and it still looks great.

They used to send out discount coupons to home buyers so if you just purchased a home, you may get something in the mail from them.

I'm usually wary of people that are doing work for me, that require a deposit. My thought is that if you don't have the funds to get the supplies, how good must your business be? I'm happy to pay in full, once the work is done.

To the original poster...sorry that this happened to you.

Vicki

Old 11-25-2008, 08:18 AM

103 posts, read 414,438 times
I have to disagree with the above post. Seegars is probably the most expensive fence company in this area, and they don't work any faster or better than any one else.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:32 AM

451 posts, read 1,654,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angie313 View Post
I have to disagree with the above post. Seegars is probably the most expensive fence company in this area, and they don't work any faster or better than any one else.
And which company do you work for?

The statement wasn't really who was cheapest or quickest, just who won't rip you off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary