Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 09:05 AM

24 posts, read 66,480 times

Advertisements

Carolina Cowboy, your story brought tears to my eyes. You are a true gentleman and the man you helped is a true gentleman as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 10:43 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,061,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
I tend not to give to the traditional man in the street with a sign, I pick and choose based on my gut. So many of the sign holders are just drunks looking for a bottle of cheap booze. Not that I am judging them, but I don't wish to contribute to their demise.

On the other hand, I am always helping needy people out. About a month ago I went to HT for a late night snack and I walked in behind a very old man who caught my attention. I could tell he was likely homeless or very poor. As I went near the checkout line the old man was standing off to the side holding a package of cooked ribs with potatoes and some bread and rolls. He was digging through his pockets gathering all his few dollars and change. As I watched him count the money it became obvious he did not have enough $, so he started back down the isle and put the meat packet away. I walked up behind him and told him "I got it." I told him I would buy him whatever he wanted to eat. He objected at first as he did not want me to pay for it. But then he said he was real hungry and asked if I would mind, as he was running short on money for the month.

Fast forwarding, I bought the few food items he had and he was most grateful for it. As we went into the parking lot, he told me his story about how he had suffered a severe head injury some 10 years ago and had neurological problems and was unable to work. I noticed he had tremors like someone with Parkinson's. He was in rough shape. He lost his job, family and life as he knew it. He got some assistance but often fell short each month. He told me how he resided in a low income apartment complex and he was the victim of frequent theft and often found the streets a better place to stay then in his own junky studio. He lives with criminals and so on. As we parted ways, I tried to give him $100 and he would not accept it. So I told him I was going to leave on the ground and walk away and if he did not take it, someone else would. He finally accepted the $ and was so thankful he began crying right there on the spot. No greater feeling on this earth then helping out someone whom really needs it. They key being, who really needs it.
That was so generous of you.

Old 11-25-2008, 01:02 PM

920 posts, read 2,813,454 times
I feel so blessed, too. I'm a small business owner, and things are picking up, for which I am grateful. My clients are all such good folks.

If you want to help the less fortunate, please don't forget the animals. In tough economic times, people are sometimes forced to give up their beloved pets, and fewer people are adopting. They need help.

SPCA of Wake County: Welcome to the SPCA of Wake County, Raleigh, NC

Old 11-25-2008, 01:09 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Thumbs up There is need all around...

Western Wake Crisis Center has a need for the sample-sized toiletries,
They put them into kits for folks of Apex and Holly Springs.

They also run a food bank there and accept food donations.

Old 11-25-2008, 02:47 PM

945 posts, read 1,972,066 times
Thumbs up Thank You Everyone

I am so proud of everyone. These are great suggestions so far. Please keep them coming. You guys rock!

Old 11-25-2008, 04:38 PM

551 posts, read 2,287,583 times
ExitMANow-
I drive down I-40 to work and I pass three guys in the median. I'm one of the folks that frequently passes them a buck or two, though I don't usually carry much cash. After seeing your post last night, I decided to do something I've been thinking about for a while. I stopped at McDonalds and got three breakfasts in three bags, and gave them to those three guys this morning. The look on their faces was priceless. One said he couldn't take my breakfast and when I explained that I bought it for him, he teared up and said that no one had ever done that before. The other two were equally thankful and so cheered.

A lot of my co-workers and even my husband say I shouldn't give them money. I didn't tell them about breakfast. The only reason I'm posting about it is to say thanks for inspiring me and hopefully to inspire someone else to stop by McDonald's tomorrow

Old 11-25-2008, 04:57 PM

945 posts, read 1,972,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicky View Post
ExitMANow-
I drive down I-40 to work and I pass three guys in the median. I'm one of the folks that frequently passes them a buck or two, though I don't usually carry much cash. After seeing your post last night, I decided to do something I've been thinking about for a while. I stopped at McDonalds and got three breakfasts in three bags, and gave them to those three guys this morning. The look on their faces was priceless. One said he couldn't take my breakfast and when I explained that I bought it for him, he teared up and said that no one had ever done that before. The other two were equally thankful and so cheered.

A lot of my co-workers and even my husband say I shouldn't give them money. I didn't tell them about breakfast. The only reason I'm posting about it is to say thanks for inspiring me and hopefully to inspire someone else to stop by McDonald's tomorrow

Good for you Chicky. I did the same thing for a fellow a while back. It's a great way to do something for someone who needs it, while not giving cash that would be used for something bad.

This is going swimmingly. The best is coming out of everyone. Sometimes when times are tough, people actually give more as it dawns on them how lucky they really are. I am smiling ear to ear right now.

Can I say "I love you guys"?

Old 11-25-2008, 06:51 PM

280 posts, read 741,227 times
What a wonderful thread ! - Thank you and Happy thanksgiving.
I am really thankful for everything I and my family have. Hopefully I can donate enough to make another family happy this holiday season(even if it is for a day ).

Old 11-26-2008, 09:33 AM

24 posts, read 66,480 times
Happy Thanksgiving!!!!
I love the idea of giving meals to homeless rather than cash. On occassion, some people "pose" as homeless to make $ Sad but true. Many of the alcoholics have mental disorders and alcohol is their way of self-medicating when they are not receiving the appropriate treatment they need. Offering a meal is kind and it will show the difference between a person who is really hungry and one who is looking for cash.
Lets not forget about the shelters though, just a few dollars of canned goods can feed a lot of people. The shelters provide food, warmth and a sense of community. For those to have time to serve, this is also an awesome opportunity to meet great people and do something wonderful

God Bless you all and Happy Thanksgiving.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:53 AM

415 posts, read 1,110,206 times
You can also buy gift cards from fast food restaurants to give to the people. I don't think they can change them for cash and they can get what they want. You can carry several in your car to hand to someone when the mood strikes you. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary