Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 05:59 PM

316 posts, read 1,006,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit MA Now View Post
Well that's why the statement about not liking Cary because it has HOA's makes no sense, coming from a renter.

Cary does not run the HOA's. All towns have HOA's, including Raleigh. Again, not liking Cary because of HOA's does not make sense.

Cary has homes in & out of HOA's, just like any other town. You can live in Cary and not be in an HOA. So again, not liking Cary because of HOA's does not make sense.
And let's not forget that HoAs have their own rules. Some are overly restrictive others are not. And the great thing about them is that they have to be disclosed before someone buys a home....you can choose to live with them or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2008, 08:28 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
Quote:
You are quite right. Jealousy makes people behave poorly or be nasty towards the haves. It's unfortunate, but it is human behavior. I just have to laugh when I here them try to tear down one of the best places to live in America. Last laugh is always on them, as we get to enjoy Cary first hand. Man...life is good.
I'm confused; you say people are only "jealous" and have sour grapes about living in Cary because "they can't afford it". Yet you and many other people on this forum applaud Cary for how afforable it is. Make up your mind; is Cary afforable, or is it expensive enough that some people can't afford to live there (By the way, saying that people would only not like living in Cary because they can't afford it is having a VERY pretentious attitutude) and those who can't afford to live there are unreasonably bitter?

Honestly, it's neither. Cary is about on-par with the national average for cost of living; and it has plenty of neighborhoods that are actually lower income than neighborhoods in many surrouning areas (especially eastern/central Cary). If someone can't afford to rent in Williamsburg Manor or buy in Pirates Cove; they aren't going to be able to afford to live in any of the other surrounding triangle towns either. The "sour grapes" argument is a completely moot point

Old 11-27-2008, 08:37 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,209,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPmode View Post
I agree with original post. Nice, but way overrated!
Thank you. It's nice to see that at least some people here have solid reading comprehension skills.

Old 11-28-2008, 04:21 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeisnotmyname View Post
And let's not forget that HoAs have their own rules. Some are overly restrictive others are not. And the great thing about them is that they have to be disclosed before someone buys a home....you can choose to live with them or not.
You forgot one big thing.

HOA boards can and do change rules over time.

There were two cases reported on the WRAL site where HOA's tried to retroactively prohibit certain changes even though they complied when done.

These associations don't even want to grandfather property alterations as is routinely done by government when a zoning rule is changed.

These groups have WAY too much power and need to be reined in by statute. Since HOA's many times get homeowners to pay for maintenance items the city ought to provide, it appears that government likes this so much that the abuse of property rights by these groups is tolerated.

If I get no rights when buying, why buy? I inherited $300K and put it in fully insured CD's at SECU.

Old 11-28-2008, 05:12 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
You forgot one big thing.

HOA boards can and do change rules over time.

There were two cases reported on the WRAL site where HOA's tried to retroactively prohibit certain changes even though they complied when done.

These associations don't even want to grandfather property alterations as is routinely done by government when a zoning rule is changed.

These groups have WAY too much power and need to be reined in by statute. Since HOA's many times get homeowners to pay for maintenance items the city ought to provide, it appears that government likes this so much that the abuse of property rights by these groups is tolerated.

If I get no rights when buying, why buy? I inherited $300K and put it in fully insured CD's at SECU.
How on Earth is any of this rant/hijack specific to Cary?

Oh... It isn't. Phew... Glad I solved that little mystery...

The OP stated his position, and is free to feel that way. I could easily live in Raleigh, Cary, Apex, Morrisville, Durham, Chapel Hill, etc., and agree that the differences between towns are often not hugely material.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 11-28-2008 at 06:29 AM..

Old 11-28-2008, 06:20 AM

2,392 posts, read 5,722,165 times
Bottom line is: it's just another suburb that looks like the other suburbs in this area. Nothing wrong with that. However, it's not like it is Scottsdale AZ, Ponte Vedra Beach FL, Newport Beach CA, Coral Gables FL or Buckhead in Atlanta with their large homes and exclusivity.

Old 11-28-2008, 06:27 AM

945 posts, read 1,971,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
How on Earth is any of this rant/hijack specific to Cary?

Oh... It isn't. Phew... Glad I solved that little mystery...
Exactly. It is sometimes funny the things people will use to claim that Cary is no good or that they don't like Cary. Sometimes people just want to convince themselves they don't like the town. There are legitimate reasons to not like it depending on personal preference, such as:
  • No real bar/club scene night life - to some, this would be an issue (it is a plus for me. I hate the club scene with a passion. I want it as far away from where I live as possible)
  • No large scale public transportation - if someone is into using public transportation then they would probably not be happy with the limited bus service (You couldn't pay me to use public transportation)
  • The town sign ordinance, which is the only real different restriction that the town actually imposes on people and businesses - to some this may be to restrictive (but this is one of the big reasons that people love living in Cary. It helps to prevent this wonderful town from looking as nasty as Capitol Blvd does with all the ugly signage. And NO, the town does not restrict house color).
  • Year round schools - to some this is a pro and to others it is a con. It's a personal choice.
So there are real reasons to not want to live in Cary. This does not make Cary a horrible town with awful people, as sometimes people would like it to be. It is simply a matter of personal taste.

Old 11-28-2008, 07:12 AM

4,266 posts, read 11,418,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
I'm confused; you say people are only "jealous" and have sour grapes about living in Cary because "they can't afford it". Yet you and many other people on this forum applaud Cary for how afforable it is. Make up your mind; is Cary afforable, or is it expensive enough that some people can't afford to live there (By the way, saying that people would only not like living in Cary because they can't afford it is having a VERY pretentious attitutude) and those who can't afford to live there are unreasonably bitter?

Honestly, it's neither. Cary is about on-par with the national average for cost of living; and it has plenty of neighborhoods that are actually lower income than neighborhoods in many surrouning areas (especially eastern/central Cary). If someone can't afford to rent in Williamsburg Manor or buy in Pirates Cove; they aren't going to be able to afford to live in any of the other surrounding triangle towns either. The "sour grapes" argument is a completely moot point
You are correct that Cary is truly affordable. Yes, there are some high priced exclusive areas/neighborhoods but these can be found anywhere in the Triangle. I did a quick search and found multiple nice neighborhoods that are quite affordable (talking 225-280K). These include:
Oxxford Hunt
Kenilworth
The Forest
Glenridge
Park Village
Twin Lakes
Brookgreen
Muir Woods
Walnut Hills
Scottish Hills
Plus many more......

Last edited by ljd1010; 11-28-2008 at 07:16 AM.. Reason: additional info

Old 11-28-2008, 07:53 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,962,065 times
Quote:
You are quite right. Jealousy makes people behave poorly or be nasty towards the haves. It's unfortunate, but it is human behavior. I just have to laugh when I here them try to tear down one of the best places to live in America. Last laugh is always on them, as we get to enjoy Cary first hand. Man...life is good.
OK, this I object to (the bolded text).

Guys - some people just don't like Cary. I get why you're so defensive of it, I really do, but just because people don't like Cary it does NOT mean they are jealous of those who live there. "the haves??" that's laughable to me.

Just speaking for me, I don't like living in the suburbs. Hate it. It's claustrophobic to me (cities are not, which I realize you wouldn't get). I won't go on and on about my dislike of the suburbs for me. But trust me I am not jealous of people who live in Cary. I AM jealous of people with acreage out in Orange County, this I will admit!

Enough with the "jealous" nonsense, it only makes you look bad and frankly you don't come off as a happy or positive person as you claim to be when you spout that junk. Methinks someone is trying hard to maintain an emotional state that is the opposite of their true emotional state.

Old 11-28-2008, 08:24 AM

1,190 posts, read 4,047,733 times
Default reply

Very well said Scorp. We could certainly live most anywhere in Cary but would not for personal reasons. We do not like suburbia. Some people do. Great. But get off your Cary Chamber of Commerce stump speech. It is really cheesy and tired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary