Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Considering moving to Triangle, Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, seeking information on reasons people move from Triangle area, climate, change of pace

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 09:14 PM

67 posts, read 202,482 times

Advertisements

Everytime I hear someone complaining about the Southern accents of the natives in this state, I turn my up a notch. I'm massively proud to be a native of this state and very proud to be Southern, sorry if people dislike it so much. But to each their own, the hatred won't be missed hope the door doesn't hit you on the way out.

Now with that being said my reason for leaving the triangle is because I need something different. I will never leave my state but this area just doesn't feel the same to me. The one thing that keeps me here for the moment is my family, I am nothing without them. I need my family. But I am headed west to the mountains to me that has always felt like home since I was little girl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 06:07 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,641,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyns.Nest View Post
Case and point with "crappy gramatics"

Still, good out weighs the bad and we can warm up to nc and it's beautiful people
Right back at ya! And I don't remember mentioning "gramatics" at any point. I was speaking about the "accents" that were referred to by the poster to whom I was responding.

I do hope the person I was responding to was able to look past my horrific and inexcusable error to see my real point. I hope she finds happiness in AZ, and it's too bad she wasn't able to find things that would have made her happier here. I know for a fact that several of the things she claimed that the area lacked do exist here in the Triangle, it's just a matter of being open-minded and finding them. Not to mention many of her complaints are about behaviors that are indicative of "American culture" and can be found across the country, not just in this area.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:52 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,641,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvanevery View Post
I'm an 11 year Seattlite myself. I blew off Seattle 2 years ago because economics weren't going well for me at the time. I've been in Winston-Salem, NC and have come to realize the things I gave up. I've been checking out Raleigh and so far my impression has been, yeah it's better than W-S, but is that it? The interesting bit of downtown, the Moore Square area, isn't any more than 1 neighborhood in Seattle. I'm single; Raleigh is not in Forbes' top 40 cities for singles . It's really not that big, just a small town, and half of it is NCSU. I visited downtown recently on a Thursday night, about 8 pm. There were some people out but I could only call it low key, not hoppin'. It was 50 degrees out and felt balmy, so no excuse for being "too cold." I've been downtown on a Saturday afternoon and would call it near dead. No "hang out in coffee houses" culture to speak of. I'm planning to give it one last try on a Friday or Saturday night, but so far this looks tame. I've got family in the Carolinas but I'm worried that I'll wear out Raleigh in a hurry.
What exactly are you looking for (besides coffee houses) to hang out at? Is there a specific nightlife scene you prefer?

I personally don't pay any attention to those lists, but ymmv. For example, I was born and raised in Miami (#13 on the Forbes list) and don't really think of it as a good place for singles - at least not singles like me. If one's priorities include partying, seeing and being seen, hemorrhaging money, etc. it is great. Meaningful relationships with the people you meet are sometimes hard to come by there. It was fine for a couple years after college, but most of my friends moved on. Thus, I take lists with a few grains of salt.

Not trying to sell the area to anyone, but where in downtown did you go? The CBD is still pretty much in its infancy. Fayetteville St still has spaces that need to be filled, there is a lot of construction going on, and the hang out spots are spread out. But this is precisely what makes it interesting to me - I am witnessing the changes before my eyes, and new establishments are opening up all the time.

The coffee house culture here is smaller than the pub culture. Not saying that Raleigh has a drinking problem, but people tend to go out for drinks moreso than just a cup of joe (at least in the circles I run with). If you're into that, try Raleigh Times Bar (Hargett St.), Landmark Tavern (Hargett St.), and Tir Na nOg (Blount St/Moore Square). There are a few coffee houses as well: Morning Times (next to Raleigh Times), Helios (Glenwood South), Third Place (Five Points), and Cuppa Joe (Hillsborough St) are usually pretty busy. Helios serves as the coffee house office for many local creative types as well.

Friday and Saturday nights are usually hopping on Glenwood South, as well as the rest of the downtown area, including the warehouse district (which can definitely be called dead during the week). However, when we were out this past First Friday, it was very cold and it seemed fairly dead everywhere. We thought it was very unusual.

If you did live here, it sounds like you'd be happiest living very close to downtown. I live in Glenwood South and really enjoy walking to most of the places I go to socialize (generally always somewhere downtown), as well as where many of the local festivals and events are held. I would never be able to afford to live this close to where I hang out in many of the other cities on the Forbes list.

Anyway, it may not end up being the right place for you after all, but I do hope you end up somewhere that you enjoy and can live your life to the fullest!

Old 02-28-2009, 10:39 AM

9 posts, read 20,502 times
Talking You Beat Me To It "jstn"

That's too funny. I was watching the news the other day and Phoenix is the kidnapping capitol of the world (300+ per year I think!!! ) And most kidnappings are not reported!! Yea, live in Arizona a while and get a taste of that. As my mother-in-law says, "Life is what you make it." I am originally from VA Beach, VA (military brat) and have lived several places. I have returned to NC (left in 1989) and just feel so at home in this area (Johnston County- Benson). At first the locals were a little stand offish (not all... just a few) but I'm the new kid in town and I expected that. I enjoy that fact that I can leave my house and walk to any place in town (even after dark). And I can jump in my vehicle and, after a short drive, arrive in Smithfield, Raleigh or Fayetteville to name a few. My last location was Southwest of Richmond, VA (heard of the State Capitol of Virginia, JillBoBill... or is that one you didn't care to remember? ) and we would go shopping in Raleigh instead of Richmond because the people were more courteous and friendlier here. Yes, there are rude people everywhere but I am happy here.

Have a great day,

Beach Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstn View Post
I can't wait to read next year's post:

"I hate Arizona and let me tell you why!

First of all I am so sick of all you people driving around here with smiles on your faces acting as though this stinking desert isn't miserably hot and so depressing. Good God, when I was in Raleigh I was completely surrounded by greenery and trees - I mean everywhere. We even had a little thing called seasons, something you stupid Arizonians could only dream of having. I mean, seriously, it's just too freaking hot here - it sucks.

And don't even get me started on the people here. Everywhere I look I see some stupid blue-haired couple from Minnesota driving at least 25 mph below the the freaking speed limit. If you don't have blue-hair, then I swear you must be a Mexican gang member or something. I mean the freaking gang problems here are just out of control. Where I lived in Raleigh I didn't even have to lock my door when I left if I didn't want to. God I hate it here and the freaking blue-hairs and all the stupid illegal gang members.

And for the locals, well who exactly is a local? Who knows? How the freak can you be considered a freaking local and not even be able to speak english? Ridiculous! I remember back in Raleigh where the locals had just enough twang to really make you feel at home. Man do I miss that place!

I hope you all fry in the desert heat!"

Sincerely,

JillBoBill

Old 03-02-2009, 04:45 PM

122 posts, read 209,983 times
Leave her alone! She's entitled to her opinion!

I just have to laugh though about Phoenix. I lived there for 2 years and couldn't wait to get out! HAHAHAHA you will find the blue hairs sometimes coming right at ya. They occasionally drive on the wrong side of the road. I guess it's the cataracts from the Arizona sun clouding their vision.

I would also add super dry weather that causes nosebleeds, clogged sinuses, and prunish skin (even for people in their 20s). 5% humidity is inhumane.

LOL you do miss the trees and grass too. And I always worried about getting a flat tire in the middle of summer when it's 115 out. How do people wait for help in that weather! Your tires do go bad a lot faster because of the heat.

I could go on and on about it.

There is no perfect place for me. I'll take the pluses and minuses of the mid-atlantic and be happy with a lot of friends and family.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:27 AM

360 posts, read 995,221 times
You know, the reason there isn't a lot of hanging out at coffee houses late at night is that there is a Starbucks on every corner, which has made it very difficult for small coffee houses to survive, and deters new ones from opening. Unfortunately, the people who go to starbucks, aren't the type of people to hang out there late at night.
And about Cary, I moved here 2 years ago and absolutely love it, and I'm not paying any more here to live than I did in East Raleigh, and here I feel 100 times safer. Plus it's really convenient. The only bad thing is I've been laid off for nearly a year, and so more then likely I am going to have to move where the work is within the next couple of months, because the jobs in my field have dried up, and the ones that still exist don't want to pay anything.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:19 PM

553 posts, read 2,331,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_newcomer View Post
I'm heading to Austin in the first quarter of 2009.

Work: my employer is letting me transfer my job, but I'll look for something I enjoy more once I'm there
Family: not really
Climate: Yes! Like SeattleNextYear, I do not like the climate here. Too humid.
Scenery: absolutely. I love the Texas hill country, and everything west, as far as you can go.
Food: well, they understand that BBQ means beef!

NC is fabulous for some people -- well, lots of people -- but just not my cuppa tea!

Okay all of you North Carolinians be prepared....Your BBQ is pretty good but Texas has the best BBQ PERIOD. Hands down, bar none...I just would not want to live there again.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:20 PM

553 posts, read 2,331,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillsboroughNative View Post
Everytime I hear someone complaining about the Southern accents of the natives in this state, I turn my up a notch. I'm massively proud to be a native of this state and very proud to be Southern, sorry if people dislike it so much. But to each their own, the hatred won't be missed hope the door doesn't hit you on the way out.

Now with that being said my reason for leaving the triangle is because I need something different. I will never leave my state but this area just doesn't feel the same to me. The one thing that keeps me here for the moment is my family, I am nothing without them. I need my family. But I am headed west to the mountains to me that has always felt like home since I was little girl.
I don't hate it at all! I think it is cool. Only problem is when you turn it up a notch, many of us can no longer understand what you are saying.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:37 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deuterdu View Post
Okay all of you North Carolinians be prepared....Your BBQ is pretty good but Texas has the best BBQ PERIOD. Hands down, bar none...I just would not want to live there again.
I don't think most North Carolinians really care too much if people from other areas prefer other regional versions of BBQ (like brisket in Texas and KC, Ribs in Memphis, etc.) so much as people calling a backyard cookout with steaks, burgers, hotdogs, or chicken "Barbecue".

Barbecue is "low and slow"

grilling (which is what most people do in their backyards when they have family and friends over in other parts of the country with the aforementioned foods) is "hot and fast".

Old 03-03-2009, 09:51 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,047,733 times
Default reply

eastern nc cue is the oldest and most pure in the history of this country. that is an absolute fact. texas beef with catsup is less than roadkill. whole hog, vinegar, pepper and salt is eastern style and widely known as the best. go back to texas and that flavorless tough beef ass cut excuse for cue. I will take The Skylight Inn, B's, Stephenson's, Allen and Son, Grady's, Ken's Grill or Wilbur's four days old and hot before I would eat a spoonful of that texas roadkill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary