Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Considering moving to Triangle, Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, seeking information on reasons people move from Triangle area, climate, change of pace

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 07:12 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,047,733 times

Advertisements

While in Queens a few years back I could not understand a lot of what the natives there were saying. That was so sickening to me. It should be their duty to make visitors understand their unique native accents. America should ban all regional dialects. It is 2008.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2008, 07:17 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JillBoBill View Post
I know. I almost added 'flame away' to the end of it, but figured they didn't need my permission.

And the accent part: Okay, everyone has accents, but I am SO tired of hearing people talk and not being able to tell wtf they're saying. I'm not some snobbing Yankee, either. I just can't understand half of what's being said by the majority of people here. It's amazing and sickening at the same time.
Chanes are the accent was actually a "Lwong Oilend" or "Bahstan" twang. Most people who grew up in Raleigh actually have a very mild southern accent and not much twang.

Old 11-30-2008, 07:20 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
My son's fiancee is a native NC girl and I understand her perfectly even though I wuz born in New Yawk on toidy toid and toid next to the terlit.

Old 11-30-2008, 07:47 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,078,373 times
[quote=NCOriolesfan;6360215]I've been here 8+ years. I'm not going anywhere. Would I consider returning to Connecticut? Sure, if I had a paycheck like Iverson!!!!

As far as leaving here for a place like Upstate New York: you need to up your prescription!!![/QUOTE]

Tell that to the Europeans buying up the Finger Lakes...guess they never heard of NC or else they would have driven right by upstate!

Old 11-30-2008, 08:28 PM

945 posts, read 1,971,249 times
Quote:
Well said.

That out of the way, here's why I'm leaving this state as soon as possible. Please, don't read further if you're desperately in love with NC and can't stand to read a bad word about her. No state is perfect for everyone. If you enjoy living here, I can't be happier for you, but everyone has an opinion and this is mine.

I hate the 'locals', their accents (ya'll *shudder*), the way they drive, the way the houses look, the way the city doesn't keep up with mowing the grass along the highways like they should. Why don't they build curbs out here? Is there a shortage of cement?

I hate the political climate (though, I have to admit I was very impressed and proud of NC last month), the physical climate, the humidity, POLLEN DROP (oh, holy cow), the way people treat their pets, the overflowing abundance of fundamentalist Christians (not that I hate the people, just too much of a good thing so you can put your scathing indignance away).

I hate the local 'culture' (big SUVs, fast food and spend, spend, spend).

The schools are crummy, the kids have attitudes and no one seems to know how to properly use a blinker or merge onto a highway (really, you're not supposed to go 30mph while trying to get onto a highway where everyone else is going 65-80mph... I promise). It's the long, skinny pedal on the right - push it.

Also, can we please ban cell phones while driving already? It's not rocket science.

I hate how greedy developers gobble up every scrap of 'unused' land and build droves of hideous, cookie-cutter townhomes (which, so you know, 'townhome' is just a fancy name for 'apartment') -- as if we need one more. Trees are okay once in a while, too, you know!

There's no parks out here, either. Maybe it's just an 'out West' thing, but there's no public neighborhood parks for people to enjoy. It's called enriching and building a community, Raleigh. Maybe you might try it once in a while -- if only you could get the basics of building a road or highway, then you'd have some more money to play with.

I hate how all the shopping complexes all have the same stores in them: Briar Creek, Cary Crossroads, Triangle Town Center, that new place out in Apex off the 64 -- ALL THE SAME.

No one comes here on their tours (music-wise), you have to drive up North or to Atlanta for any good shows.

I hate when they drive farm equipment on the roads, but there's never any locally grown produce in the stores to show for it. Isn't Food Lion BASED in NC? Why aren't they helping their own state instead of hurting it?

There's nothing to do on weekends except spend money (no good clubs, not enough locally owned, non-chain restaurants and is busking illegal here or what?). They can't seem to put together a decent 'festival' either. Sure, there's the coveted State Fair (which is just a basic fair with four of every ride and ten of every food stand where everything is three times as expensive as it should be), but that's a big bore after the first trip. Did anyone else get suckered into going to that Greek Festival at the fair grounds a month or so ago? We paid to get in only to realise it was a big dinner party put on by some church - they had about FOUR vendors. Big, fat, waste of money to get in.

I hate the joke they call 'downtown', the highways don't make sense, too many roads are circles and they all change names a half a billion times - it's like the civil planners have ADD or are just sadistic jerks that want you to always be wondering what happened to X road and where the hell-o you're headed now.

...Uh, I think that about covers it. Don't get me wrong, there's some nice things about NC. I enjoy the flea market at the fairgrounds, the farmer's market with the funny German pastry guy and the Asian lady that sells flowers and sometimes you come across this awesome person that's just so quaint you want to take them home. But, really you're too far away from the mountains (real mountains, not foothills) while not being close enough to the beaches to enjoy them, so what's there to do except want to leave?

It must be NC. It couldn't be you.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:31 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Seems like some transplants didn't do their research to see if this area was right for them.

We used to live in Manhattan and have loved Raleigh for 20 years.

Old 12-01-2008, 04:07 AM

4,266 posts, read 11,418,220 times
Quote:
Well said.

That out of the way, here's why I'm leaving this state as soon as possible. Please, don't read further if you're desperately in love with NC and can't stand to read a bad word about her. No state is perfect for everyone. If you enjoy living here, I can't be happier for you, but everyone has an opinion and this is mine.

I hate the 'locals', their accents (ya'll *shudder*), the way they drive, the way the houses look, the way the city doesn't keep up with mowing the grass along the highways like they should. Why don't they build curbs out here? Is there a shortage of cement?

I hate the political climate (though, I have to admit I was very impressed and proud of NC last month), the physical climate, the humidity, POLLEN DROP (oh, holy cow), the way people treat their pets, the overflowing abundance of fundamentalist Christians (not that I hate the people, just too much of a good thing so you can put your scathing indignance away).

The schools are crummy, the kids have attitudes and no one seems to know how to properly use a blinker or merge onto a highway (really, you're not supposed to go 30mph while trying to get onto a highway where everyone else is going 65-80mph... I promise). It's the long, skinny pedal on the right - push it.

Also, can we please ban cell phones while driving already? It's not rocket science.

I hate how greedy developers gobble up every scrap of 'unused' land and build droves of hideous, cookie-cutter townhomes (which, so you know, 'townhome' is just a fancy name for 'apartment') -- as if we need one more. Trees are okay once in a while, too, you know!

There's no parks out here, either. Maybe it's just an 'out West' thing, but there's no public neighborhood parks for people to enjoy. It's called enriching and building a community, Raleigh. Maybe you might try it once in a while -- if only you could get the basics of building a road or highway, then you'd have some more money to play with.

I hate how all the shopping complexes all have the same stores in them: Briar Creek, Cary Crossroads, Triangle Town Center, that new place out in Apex off the 64 -- ALL THE SAME.

No one comes here on their tours (music-wise), you have to drive up North or to Atlanta for any good shows.

I hate when they drive farm equipment on the roads, but there's never any locally grown produce in the stores to show for it. Isn't Food Lion BASED in NC? Why aren't they helping their own state instead of hurting it?

There's nothing to do on weekends except spend money (no good clubs, not enough locally owned, non-chain restaurants and is busking illegal here or what?). They can't seem to put together a decent 'festival' either. Sure, there's the coveted State Fair (which is just a basic fair with four of every ride and ten of every food stand where everything is three times as expensive as it should be), but that's a big bore after the first trip. Did anyone else get suckered into going to that Greek Festival at the fair grounds a month or so ago? We paid to get in only to realise it was a big dinner party put on by some church - they had about FOUR vendors. Big, fat, waste of money to get in.

I hate the joke they call 'downtown', the highways don't make sense, too many roads are circles and they all change names a half a billion times - it's like the civil planners have ADD or are just sadistic jerks that want you to always be wondering what happened to X road and where the hell-o you're headed now.

...Uh, I think that about covers it. Don't get me wrong, there's some nice things about NC. I enjoy the flea market at the fairgrounds, the farmer's market with the funny German pastry guy and the Asian lady that sells flowers and sometimes you come across this awesome person that's just so quaint you want to take them home. But, really you're too far away from the mountains (real mountains, not foothills) while not being close enough to the beaches to enjoy them, so what's there to do except want to leave?
First of all, please know I am not bashing you. We are all entitled to our opinions. During the first 15 years of my marriage, we moved around quite a bit due to DH's job. We lived in a couple of places I intensely disliked and couldn't wait to get out of (they shall remain nameless!). Anyway, I just wanted to give my opinion on a couple of your comments.

1. The accents - I love the gentle southern accent here in NC. So much better than where I come from (RI). RI folks (apologies to all RIers, my DH, sisters, dad etc) have the WORST. We not only "pak ah cahs" like Bostonians but we also "paw the cawfee" like NYers.

2. The driving - I find drivers so much more courteous here. In RI, people think nothing of passing you in the emergency/breakdown lanes, rampantly run red lights and tailgate to high heaven.

3. Sidewalks - unheard of in residential neighborhoods in RI. Exist only in the downtown areas. Every neighborhood we looked at here has them.

4. Parks - tons of them here, several within walking distance to my house as well as multiple greenways/trails.

5. Shopping/strip malls - I think you'll find all the usual chain stores in almost every town in almost every state. I find this no different than New England suburbia unless you're in the middle of a city or out in more rural areas.

6. The politics - man, I come from a politically corrupt state. The former mayor of Providence was recently released from a federal prison. I, too, was proud on NC in our recent election.

Just a few things I wanted to mention. Sorry this area isn't your cup of tea and that is ok. I'm not bashing you at all ....hope you find what you are looking for.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:57 AM

643 posts, read 2,053,304 times
That was actually very civil of you, ljd. Thank you.

I could never live in New England. It just wouldn't work - lol!

And to whoever said it was a Lon'Ghiland accent: it's not. I lived in NY for 5 years. They do have bad accents, but it's completely different (and no where near as bad).

Also, I didn't do ANY research because I didn't have choice in the matter, saturnfan. I'm astounded you took the time to read my huge, stupid post, but not the much smaller one afterward addressing this.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:22 AM

414 posts, read 1,277,145 times
Quote:
Well said.

As an outsider considering the Triangle area, I must say you have really convinced me of just how miserable......of a person you are. Geez, I kinda feel sorry for you. I would just think that a person with this much hatred for a region, probably should have done a little more investigative research before moving across the country. Perhaps you should be angry with yourself, not the Triangle.

My guess is that one of two things are the true problem: 1) you are desperately homesick and just want to be with family and friends again; or 2) your job situation didn't work out like planned and now you feel stranded.

anyways, I hope you can find what you are looking for. Good luck.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:25 AM

4,242 posts, read 8,772,004 times
[quote=smalltownusa;6369272]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCOriolesfan View Post
I've been here 8+ years. I'm not going anywhere. Would I consider returning to Connecticut? Sure, if I had a paycheck like Iverson!!!!

As far as leaving here for a place like Upstate New York: you need to up your prescription!!![/QUOTE]

Tell that to the Europeans buying up the Finger Lakes...guess they never heard of NC or else they would have driven right by upstate!
Uh, where are these Europeans buying real estate in upstate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary