Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Considering moving to Triangle, Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, seeking information on reasons people move from Triangle area, climate, change of pace

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 01:04 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,772,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownusa View Post
Prices of homes on the Finger Lakes have multi million price tags as a norm which I'll guess is a bit higher than a 25 yr old townhouse anywhere short of ocean front....

Also, it's been stated that Canandaigua Lake (a Finger Lake) is the second most expensive fresh waterfront property in the country behind Lake Tahoe in CA. And my destination for retirement....it's gorgeousssssssssss

Skaneateles Lake is another FL that has some extraordinary house values....look it up for yourself....

And who said invasion? lol
I see you've become smitten with the tourism board. Visit in winter before you buy a retirement home. Slush is not so beautiful.

And avoid Skaneatelas. Its a tourist trap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 02:52 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
SmalltownUSA and I both live in Rochester...just north of the fingerlakes. We have the slushy March gloom here too. It still doesn't mean the fingerlakes aren't an amazing region though, probably one of the most beutiful areas of the US. I will be the first to admit that March weather in Upstate NY is about as depressing weather as you can get...but the other 11 months don't really bother me; especially May through October when it is beautiful here.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:47 PM

945 posts, read 1,971,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findingmesomeday View Post
Just be prepared for a lot of gray dreary skies. It never bothered me but some people are very much affected by it.

This got worse for me every year. I need a lot of sunshine and warm enough temps to get outside during the day. It made a huge difference leaving the rotten weather in MA to come to NC and much better weather. The last several weeks here have been below normal in temps, but is much better than the crap going on up in MA. My folks are already complaining about how bad it is up there and it has just now gotten to the start of the Dec - April real nasty time. I could never go further north than where I am now. If anything, I might slide a bit further south as I get older.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:57 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,084,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit MA Now View Post
This got worse for me every year. I need a lot of sunshine and warm enough temps to get outside during the day. It made a huge difference leaving the rotten weather in MA to come to NC and much better weather. The last several weeks here have been below normal in temps, but is much better than the crap going on up in MA. My folks are already complaining about how bad it is up there and it has just now gotten to the start of the Dec - April real nasty time. I could never go further north than where I am now. If anything, I might slide a bit further south as I get older.
I was talking about Seattle. MA is actually much sunnier!

Old 12-02-2008, 07:05 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
According to the charts on their city-data main pages...the only months where it is sunnier in Cary than in East Brookfield, MA are March, October and November. Summer is actually less-sunny than average in both towns interestingly enough.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:12 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,078,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
SmalltownUSA and I both live in Rochester...just north of the fingerlakes. We have the slushy March gloom here too. It still doesn't mean the fingerlakes aren't an amazing region though, probably one of the most beutiful areas of the US. I will be the first to admit that March weather in Upstate NY is about as depressing weather as you can get...but the other 11 months don't really bother me; especially May through October when it is beautiful here.
Right on neighbor....ever heard of Skaneateles referred to as a tourist trap? They won't even let a chain store or restaurant near the town and the shops on Main St. are for deep pockets only

Then there's the MirBeau Inn and Spa....if you're a tourist trapped there, you must be very very rich!

Old 12-02-2008, 08:14 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,078,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit MA Now View Post
Say Belize on the Carribbean for instance?

Old 12-02-2008, 08:53 PM

945 posts, read 1,971,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findingmesomeday View Post
I was talking about Seattle. MA is actually much sunnier!

I am sure. As much as I cannot stand MA weather, Seattle would be the pits. I could never live in a place with weather like that. NC weather is sooooo much better than MA weather. You have to actually live it to understand it. You can't go by what certain charts may say, because in MA it will be cloudy all day for days on end. Even on what may be classified as a cloudy day in NC, most of them will still have some sun at some point. We all need sun for our health and in NC, I get it just about everyday. That was not the case in MA, especially when you dare not walk outside for fear of lung freeze.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:39 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,084,943 times
The dreary skies in Seattle never bothered me. Now the long cold winters in MA, coupled with the non-existent spring---that bothers me.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:50 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,772,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownusa View Post
Right on neighbor....ever heard of Skaneateles referred to as a tourist trap? They won't even let a chain store or restaurant near the town and the shops on Main St. are for deep pockets only

Then there's the MirBeau Inn and Spa....if you're a tourist trapped there, you must be very very rich!
I was trapped 3 miles away for 21 years. It sucked pretty hard. They didn't actually let me into the town because I didn't own any designer clothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary