Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Considering moving to Triangle, Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, seeking information on reasons people move from Triangle area, climate, change of pace

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 12:59 PM

767 posts, read 1,847,368 times

Advertisements

They could always build a bridge to nowhere!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 06:07 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
Please answer the OP and do not make snide remarks about other members.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:36 PM

94 posts, read 315,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Amid much venom and anti-NC stereotypes, we find:

And you think this is peculiar to NC?? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Don't go to Los Angeles or Washington, is all I have to say!

Actally,
Talking on your cell and driving is now illigal in the state of CA.

After training myself out of the habit ( having just moved from there) I agree that it is well noted to be a huge distraction! ...especially since I observe drivers here to be not exactly observant to laws to start with.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:50 PM

94 posts, read 315,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiblue View Post
I respect your opinions, certainly have issues with all the hatred (hate is such a strong word, are you sure you are using it the way you intended?),

There are cities even in the US where locals doesn't even speak English predominantly, let alone all the myriad of different accents you find in different regions of this country alone. Communication takes patience and an open mind when you are in unfamiliar territory. Give people a chance!
Case and point with "crappy gramatics"

Still, good out weighs the bad and we can warm up to nc and it's beautiful people

Old 12-09-2008, 02:24 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,266,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit MA Now View Post
The New Braintree area. Way out in the country sticks. We had absolutely nothing out there (one gas station, no restaurants, no shopping, no doctor or dentist office), so living in Cary has been a completely different experience for us. This is probably why I am so excited to be here all the time. It is quite different.
I had to look that one up. Yeah, you were in the sticks. We just moved to Cary in July after spending eight years in Raleigh. Definetly a big step up. I always remember hearing how "phony" Cary is. I now know that's just people who are jealous because they can't/don't live here. Like several have posted here: to each his own!!

Old 12-09-2008, 04:23 AM

945 posts, read 1,971,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCOriolesfan View Post
I had to look that one up. Yeah, you were in the sticks. We just moved to Cary in July after spending eight years in Raleigh. Definetly a big step up. I always remember hearing how "phony" Cary is. I now know that's just people who are jealous because they can't/don't live here. Like several have posted here: to each his own!!
Yep, my old stomping ground was nothing but cow pasture land. It was beautiful scenery in the summer and fall, but dead other than that. And NOTHING around and NOTHING to do. That's how I got into LOVING the outdoors and part of the reason why I don't like cities. Now that I am in Cary, I feel like I died and went to heaven. I still have somewhat of a country feel, yet with all the amenities that a city can offer and more........minus the crap I can do without. Plus this area has much better weather and such a better job market.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:54 PM

321 posts, read 531,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
Also, we've been getting restless here and we're both ready to move back to a more urban environment.
I'm an 11 year Seattlite myself. I blew off Seattle 2 years ago because economics weren't going well for me at the time. I've been in Winston-Salem, NC and have come to realize the things I gave up. I've been checking out Raleigh and so far my impression has been, yeah it's better than W-S, but is that it? The interesting bit of downtown, the Moore Square area, isn't any more than 1 neighborhood in Seattle. I'm single; Raleigh is not in Forbes' top 40 cities for singles . It's really not that big, just a small town, and half of it is NCSU. I visited downtown recently on a Thursday night, about 8 pm. There were some people out but I could only call it low key, not hoppin'. It was 50 degrees out and felt balmy, so no excuse for being "too cold." I've been downtown on a Saturday afternoon and would call it near dead. No "hang out in coffee houses" culture to speak of. I'm planning to give it one last try on a Friday or Saturday night, but so far this looks tame. I've got family in the Carolinas but I'm worried that I'll wear out Raleigh in a hurry.

Old 12-09-2008, 04:56 PM

535 posts, read 1,741,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvanevery View Post
There were some people out but I could only call it low key, not hoppin'.
Tried the area over by the Oyster Bar (Glenwood)? That area always seems to be busy. Or across from NCSU. Or UNC-CH. When I'm there and want to go out we usually pick and area, drive over and park then walk. Last time we ended up over near Raleigh Times Bar, then 42nd Street before walking around Glenwood. Busy for a Friday but not "hoppin'" like Times Square or an area that is "touristy" (VB ocean front, Myrtle Beach, etc).

Old 12-09-2008, 06:11 PM

63 posts, read 153,618 times
"Now that I am in Cary, I feel like I died and went to heaven. I still have somewhat of a country feel" -Exit MA Now

Country feel in Cary? Isn't Cary the ultimate example of suburbia? It may be near the country, but's there's nothing country about Cary, itself!!!!

Old 12-09-2008, 08:45 PM

945 posts, read 1,971,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nortel View Post
Country feel in Cary? Isn't Cary the ultimate example of suburbia? It may be near the country, but's there's nothing country about Cary, itself!!!!
Country "feel". Right behind where I live, there is farmland and wide open fields. There are lots of areas in Cary that have that. Once you actually live here and learn the area, you discover so much more than the typical stereotypical things that you sometimes hear. Now Cary is certainly not the cow town that I came from, but that is a great thing. I was able to combine a fantastic feel with great amenities. The best of both worlds all rolled up into a beautiful package.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary