Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2008, 02:06 PM

280 posts, read 740,990 times

Advertisements

I tried searching for more information on the power lines that run behind some houses in the Laurel Park sub divison but didnt find much. I think it extends all they way from the Apex Park near by.Can someone please tell me where I can get more info ?
I know it is considered a negative to buy a house that has a power line near by but if it is so dangerous as some people say it is, I am suprised that a school has been built quite close to it. Googling this issue led to a lot of conflicting reports so I am wondering how Wake county decides when it is safe to build schools near Power lines.
Anyone know how far away from them is considered safe ? is it 200ft, 600 ft or something more ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2008, 07:59 PM

2,135 posts, read 7,654,067 times
I've seen the power lines behind the houses. I wouldn't live that close to power lines. But I don't see them that close to the school. The school was an existing building and converted.

Old 11-30-2008, 09:18 PM

280 posts, read 740,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtoNC! View Post
I've seen the power lines behind the houses. I wouldn't live that close to power lines. But I don't see them that close to the school. The school was an existing building and converted.
It isnt exactly behind the school but I made the mistake of googling High Voltage Power lines and health issues and read reports that even being 2000ft away on a daily basis could cause leukemia and other type of cancers in children
So was just wondering how far away the lines are from the school and if it a emits really powerful EMF to cause such issues. I think I am just a parnoid mom.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:08 AM

162 posts, read 734,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nclass View Post
It isnt exactly behind the school but I made the mistake of googling High Voltage Power lines and health issues and read reports that even being 2000ft away on a daily basis could cause leukemia and other type of cancers in children
So was just wondering how far away the lines are from the school and if it a emits really powerful EMF to cause such issues. I think I am just a parnoid mom.
You are not being a paranoid mom at all...I am concerned about that as well. Also you must consider that there are pesticides placed at the bottom of the power line columns (for lack of a better word) to stop the grass/tree growth on to the lines. Even if everyone says the power lines are safe (which I do not agree with) then you have the pesticides to think about too.

We saw many nice homes in Chapel Hill where we are looking for our new home. As soon as I see a power line I cross that one off my list.

Good luck...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary