Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2008, 10:52 AM

62 posts, read 151,391 times

Advertisements

Hey Guys!

Now that it will soon be crunch time for us I am curious as to what moving companies people used from the NE to the Raleigh area. We are moving a 3 bedroom house. Any specific companies that are really good? Ones we should avoid??? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 12:21 PM

62 posts, read 151,391 times
bump

Old 12-12-2008, 12:45 PM

140 posts, read 418,546 times
the same thing has been asked over and over again . But here you go I am using United Van Lines in 1 week guaranteed delivery in 2-3 days.

Old 12-12-2008, 02:09 PM

431 posts, read 1,336,238 times
We're moving from long island to Clayton and we're using U-Pack.....they drop off the 28 ft trailer and you get it for 2/3 days depending on day of week and you have to pack it or hire help and then it takes around 3 days for them to deliver and then you get another 2/3 days to unload for around $1200 and change....that is for use of 21 feet of the truck if you choose to use the whole truck which is the 28 feet then its like $1385 . Which is what we are going to do, I don't want to share the truck with anyone elses things so I'll pay the extra $200 to ensure it....
Suzanne

Old 12-12-2008, 02:46 PM

850 posts, read 3,622,304 times
That's the most inexpensive way to go, I think, Suzanne. We did the PODS but they only had 16 footers if I remember right, so scaled back before packing it.

We packed most of it ourselves hiring laborers to move the heavy stuff. We used MovingLaborBrokers.com both to load and unload and couldn't be happier.

One tip...put all clothing and linens in trash bags. We learned this the hard way and had to unpack/repack when we realized all my blue tubs full of clothing were taking up too much space. These bags can be pushed into all the nooks/crannies, which helps to secure your other stuff.

Lauren

Old 12-12-2008, 04:33 PM

238 posts, read 668,305 times
I used United for a move from PA and wasn't too happy with them. They picked our stuff up on a Wednesday and told me the our stuff would arrive on Friday/Saturday at the latest. So we drove down to the Triangle Thursday.

Our stuff didn't arrive until the following Tuesday, and I never got a straight answer on when it was coming until a day ahead of time. I had to call the driver's cell phone to get an answer from anyone.

Basically we sat in an empty apartment for 5 days, sleeping on the floor with no idea where our stuff was or when it was coming. It was a good time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary