Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 07:52 AM

376 posts, read 1,057,773 times

Advertisements

I understand that this area has very nice, established neighborhood's. I am always on the house hunt and exploring new areas with this in mind. What's the character of this section of Raleigh - pros/cons of living there. Please only people who have firsthand knowledge respond. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 08:44 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,190,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvinegal View Post
I understand that this area has very nice, established neighborhood's. I am always on the house hunt and exploring new areas with this in mind. What's the character of this section of Raleigh - pros/cons of living there. Please only people who have firsthand knowledge respond. Thanks!

I only have first knowledge of what the Five points area looks like. Here are some pcitures of a part of that area that I took last year. There are a few others on this forum that live there who can give you a first hand perspective on life there.

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...es-barton.html

Old 12-05-2008, 09:22 AM

1,877 posts, read 5,325,422 times
It's nice, I like it a lot. I've pet sit for a client while staying overnight with her dog many times. It’s a great area to walk dogs and there are little parks everywhere, very family friendly. She has a huge fenced in yard and both homes on either side of her are cute, renovated bungalows. The drawback is the train literally runs through her backyard a few times a day. But Five Points is big so that's easily avoidable.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:00 AM

17 posts, read 58,015 times
I live in the Georgetown part of five points. Great neighborhood. Very walkable, less than five minutes to glenwood south or Downtown. Very convenient to the Beltline. Plus whenever I get a craving, I can walk over to Lilly's and grab a slice of great pizza!

Old 12-05-2008, 10:06 AM

1,190 posts, read 4,036,418 times
Default reply

Thanks NRG! You actually took a pic of our home.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:20 AM

1,877 posts, read 5,325,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncletupelo View Post
Ooh! I'd ask which one but don't want any psychos after you!

Old 12-05-2008, 10:25 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,933,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncletupelo View Post
How funny! Well I can safely say your home is gorgeous because every one of those homes is gorgeous

Old 12-05-2008, 10:41 AM

80 posts, read 231,297 times
Lived in two different houses in 5 Points since 1997. Here are a few thoughts:

1. Established neighborhood with trees and walkability.
2. Ability to walk, if you want, to Lily's, Rialto, Hayes Barton Diner, 5 Points Barber, Third Place etc.
3. True for most of ITB, particularly on weekends---you don't have the traffic hassles that you find in North Raleigh, Cary etc. You are no more than 10 minutes to Harris Teeter, Kroger, Marbles Kids Museum, Cameron Village Library, Glenwood South etc.
4. If you work downtown, say hello to a 10 minute-ish commute
5. Good mix of people. Used to be even better mix, IMO, but continued gentrification has changed things a little bit. In our first house, we had neighbors who had lived in 5 Points for 30 or 40 years.
6. Roanoke Park is great for kids and is walkable from anywhere in 5 Points.
7. A growing population of kids, particularly elementary and younger aged. Because of renovations and new construction, families are more likely to stay in 5 Points instead of outgrowing or not needing a 1,500-sq ft house
8. Good schools--Underwood and Conn are both magnet schools. No real reassignment issues.
9. What you see is what you get --- no major roads or other construction likely. That's what you get in established neighborhoods.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:05 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,036,418 times
Default reply

NCbear covered our hood pretty well. We can walk to the mentioned Roanoke Park, beautiful Fallon Park, Kiwanis Park, multiple greenways, and Fletcher Park. On our street we have a sweet old lady that has been in her home since 1938.8 or 9 families have been here at least 10 years. Very stable. Most every home has been completly restored. We have not had a change in school assignments in over 50 years. We love walking to The Point, Lillys, Nofo( istill miss the old piggly wiggly), The Third Place, Hayes Barton Cafe, Churchills ect. Four grocery stores within five minutes of my front door. Very little traffic ever. 6 or 7 churches within 5 minutes, We walk to church. And to the barbershop, drug store etc. We will never move from this area until I retire to the coast down the road. The elementary schools(base) are excellent. Joyner, Lacy, Underwood. Hope this helps.

Old 12-05-2008, 03:11 PM

1,540 posts, read 5,548,117 times
Great community and as you can see the cutest homes, and that is just a few of them. Thanks for the pictures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary