Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 05:46 AM

242 posts, read 796,033 times

Advertisements

I, too have been having a long run of irritating TWC problems. They ranged from signal freezes resulting in pixelation, missing channels (like CBS morning news) to several reboots per day. After getting their repairman out to my house several times and taking the box down to the TWC office and exchanging it myself, one of their CS people suggested that I ask for a box without the OCAP software. I think OCAP is the newer version. I did it and everything seems to work better. I didn't like the way the DVR software worked with the OCAP software either.

For the price, we shouldn't have to go through all this aggravation.

Good Luck..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 10:00 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,293,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsnc View Post
I, too have been having a long run of irritating TWC problems. They ranged from signal freezes resulting in pixelation, missing channels (like CBS morning news) to several reboots per day. After getting their repairman out to my house several times and taking the box down to the TWC office and exchanging it myself, one of their CS people suggested that I ask for a box without the OCAP software. I think OCAP is the newer version. I did it and everything seems to work better. I didn't like the way the DVR software worked with the OCAP software either.

For the price, we shouldn't have to go through all this aggravation.

Good Luck..
Boy, of boy, don't get me started on TW!! I went to upgrade my RR modem, per their request yesterday. Was told I could do it at Southpoint. Got there and was told they only issue new equipment, but no returns. Had to quickly drive to Glen Lennox before they closed for the day. Why can't customer service know what the heck they're talking about when you call?!!

Anyway, I've been having trouble with our cable boxes too with rebooting whenever the heck they seem to have a mind to do it. Also, since they changed the on screen guide (which is not very user friendly insofar as finding when a program will rerun or just to find one using the keyboard, not to mentions it gives less info on programs then before) it seems to freeze up alot &/or the remotes don't work alot of the time even with a battery change. They guy at the store looked at my account and said all the boxes I have are old and to bring them in and trade up. After reading this about OCAP I don't know what to do. Might one of my boxes have that on it and if so why is it still problematic?

Old 12-07-2008, 12:19 PM

945 posts, read 1,971,952 times
What TWC boxes do you have that are causing you so many problems? Mine is a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD and it never skips a beat. It is far more reliable than when I had DirectNoTV.

Old 12-07-2008, 12:37 PM

[quote=Exit MA Now;6461291]What TWC boxes do you have that are causing you so many problems? Mine is a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD and it never skips a beat. It is far more reliable than when I had DirectNoTV.[/QUOTE}

I'm no expert here, mind you, but it sounds like you have the same one that I do, now, which is the older non-OCAP one. Which is the older version software.

Old 12-07-2008, 12:39 PM

242 posts, read 1,213,327 times
I have the 8300HDC with the OCAP software. When it pixelizes/freezes, I find the same happens on my non DVR HD boxes on the same channels, so I dont think its anything to do with the DVR box, I suspect its the incoming signals themselves. Those with lots of reboots should have their signals checked on the outlets the DVR is on. The box is sensitive to weak signals (I have experienced those issues in NY on same model box with non OCAP software when box was on a line that had an extra split). They are also sensitive to power dips, so I also recommend putting them on a cheap UPS/Battery backup.

Old 12-07-2008, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hula View Post
Boy, of boy, don't get me started on TW!! I went to upgrade my RR modem, per their request yesterday. Was told I could do it at Southpoint. Got there and was told they only issue new equipment, but no returns. Had to quickly drive to Glen Lennox before they closed for the day. Why can't customer service know what the heck they're talking about when you call?!!

Anyway, I've been having trouble with our cable boxes too with rebooting whenever the heck they seem to have a mind to do it. Also, since they changed the on screen guide (which is not very user friendly insofar as finding when a program will rerun or just to find one using the keyboard, not to mentions it gives less info on programs then before) it seems to freeze up alot &/or the remotes don't work alot of the time even with a battery change. They guy at the store looked at my account and said all the boxes I have are old and to bring them in and trade up. After reading this about OCAP I don't know what to do. Might one of my boxes have that on it and if so why is it still problematic?
The older version seems to work best for me. I have HD, and DVR. It might also have something to do with your (or my) signal strength. All I know is I've spent waaaay too much time on the phone with TWC.

Old 12-07-2008, 07:01 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,733,470 times
[quote=rwsnc;6461472]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit MA Now View Post
What TWC boxes do you have that are causing you so many problems? Mine is a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD and it never skips a beat. It is far more reliable than when I had DirectNoTV.[/QUOTE}

I'm no expert here, mind you, but it sounds like you have the same one that I do, now, which is the older non-OCAP one. Which is the older version software.
They should all be upgraded. If you get the new, Switched Digital Video HD channels then I believe you have the newer software because I don't think the older software supported SDV service.

(The full list of SDV channels, as presented here (http://www.timewarnercable.com/Carolinas/programming/channelChangeUpdate.html - broken link): Versus HD Channel 271; Disney Channel HD channel 264; History HD Channel 297; Animal Planet HD Channel 261; ABC Family HD Channel 263; Lifetime HD Channel 276; ESPN News HD Channel 274; TLC HD Channel 275; Fox Sports Carolina HD Channel 272; Cinemax East HD Channel 433; Cinemax West HD Channel 434; Starz HD Channel 475; The Movie Channel HD Channel 463. This list includes new channels coming over the next one+ month.)

Old 12-08-2008, 04:53 AM

451 posts, read 1,653,839 times
If it were me, and the choice was Time-Warner or nothing, I'd choose nothing.

Call up DirectTV, tell them you want 4 rooms wired up (you don't need to use them all, but if you go to sell the house some buyers like to have tvs in the master and kids BRs), and that you want an HD-DVR, and that you aren't going to pay for it. They'll do it, no questions asked.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:39 AM

673 posts, read 2,266,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilirubin View Post
If it were me, and the choice was Time-Warner or nothing, I'd choose nothing.

Call up DirectTV, tell them you want 4 rooms wired up (you don't need to use them all, but if you go to sell the house some buyers like to have tvs in the master and kids BRs), and that you want an HD-DVR, and that you aren't going to pay for it. They'll do it, no questions asked.
Beware, however, if you call DirecTV, there are "hidden" installation charges. We were hit with a $75 charge because we did not want the dish installed on our roof (potentially voiding our roof warranty) and 2 additional charges of $75 each to "fish" the line in the wall because we wanted to be able to record on one channel and watch a second channel on the DVR.

The first DVR is at no charge; if you want a second DVR (as we did at our house), we had to pay for it.

Old 12-08-2008, 04:35 PM

945 posts, read 1,971,952 times
[quote=geoff2v;6465774]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsnc View Post
They should all be upgraded. If you get the new, Switched Digital Video HD channels then I believe you have the newer software because I don't think the older software supported SDV service.

(The full list of SDV channels, as presented here (http://www.timewarnercable.com/Carolinas/programming/channelChangeUpdate.html - broken link): Versus HD Channel 271; Disney Channel HD channel 264; History HD Channel 297; Animal Planet HD Channel 261; ABC Family HD Channel 263; Lifetime HD Channel 276; ESPN News HD Channel 274; TLC HD Channel 275; Fox Sports Carolina HD Channel 272; Cinemax East HD Channel 433; Cinemax West HD Channel 434; Starz HD Channel 475; The Movie Channel HD Channel 463. This list includes new channels coming over the next one+ month.)

I have the most updated software, so that is why I am wondering why these people are having trouble when I don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary