Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 05:07 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdrive View Post
I would do without TV before I went back to TWC.
That just about sums up how happy I was to find out that I could get Directv at my new house despite having 30' trees.

I've said this before but there are definite pro's and cons of each - and all are way too expensive once your new subscriber deal expires. I had TWC when I first moved down here and was just NOT happy with the picture quality of the non-digital channels (the ones I watch most). I did look at their HD lineup a few months back and it seemed very meager. On the plus side if you want TV in every room, I think cable will usually be less - and most houses are "prewired" with just one run of coax. This won't work for using dual tuner DVR's and satellite. I'm a long time Directv subscriber and there've been a few bumps in the road along the way, but overall I'm very happy. The non-HD picture quality is excellent, they have all the channels I watch (including Bravo, which TWC did not offer until very recently) and my Directivo works like a champ (and records 150 hours of programs).

Anyhow, if you are unhappy with TWC then satellite is a very viable alternative, whether it be Dish or Directv. Now, if we could only get FIOS here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 06:17 AM

2,392 posts, read 5,722,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
That just about sums up how happy I was to find out that I could get Directv at my new house despite having 30' trees.

I've said this before but there are definite pro's and cons of each - and all are way too expensive once your new subscriber deal expires. I had TWC when I first moved down here and was just NOT happy with the picture quality of the non-digital channels (the ones I watch most). I did look at their HD lineup a few months back and it seemed very meager. On the plus side if you want TV in every room, I think cable will usually be less - and most houses are "prewired" with just one run of coax. This won't work for using dual tuner DVR's and satellite. I'm a long time Directv subscriber and there've been a few bumps in the road along the way, but overall I'm very happy. The non-HD picture quality is excellent, they have all the channels I watch (including Bravo, which TWC did not offer until very recently) and my Directivo works like a champ (and records 150 hours of programs).

Anyhow, if you are unhappy with TWC then satellite is a very viable alternative, whether it be Dish or Directv. Now, if we could only get FIOS here!
Sounds reasonable to me.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:37 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Our non-HD channels are great on a Samsung HDTV with TWC.

Some HD sets are not as good with standard def channels.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:30 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,209,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
Now, if we could only get FIOS here!
People I know who have it are underwhelmed FYI - I wouldn't be in too big of a rush.

Personally I have done w/o cable for some time now. Betwen most of what TV offers being garbage other than re-runs of older shows or documentary-type stuff and those obnoxious ads that flit across the screeen almost non-stop WHILE THE SHOW IS RUNNING.....and what's with people in the audience squealing that high-pitched squeal (usually pronounced "WOOOOO!")? Can people not simply applaud like normal human beings anymore? Annoying is far too weak a word. Pass. I'll buy DVDs.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:52 AM

451 posts, read 1,653,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill545 View Post
Personally I have done w/o cable for some time now. Betwen most of what TV offers being garbage other than re-runs of older shows or documentary-type stuff and those obnoxious ads that flit across the screeen almost non-stop WHILE THE SHOW IS RUNNING.....and what's with people in the audience squealing that high-pitched squeal (usually pronounced "WOOOOO!")? Can people not simply applaud like normal human beings anymore? Annoying is far too weak a word. Pass. I'll buy DVDs.
Interesting you mention that. We had Netflix so that we could watch shows that were on too late at night (like The Shield), then we could order the whole series and have a marathon. When we moved here I just wanted to have Netflix, without cable. I would have missed sports and football, but I'd have gotten over it. I'd still consider it, especially with Netflix being ~$17/mo with every DVD ever made available. But now that we have DirectTV with a DVR (and no Netflix) I don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary