Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 03:21 PM

607 posts, read 2,430,989 times

Advertisements

This is totally a question for me, but it might be enjoyable for other "non residents" to know.

When I left our new house it was in January. So all the trees were bare, none of the bushes had sprouted, no flowers. I really have no idea what our yards will look like in the spring or summer.

In CA spring is already sprung. My tulips are coming up, my azaleas are blooming like crazy. When does spring start in North Carolina?? I am so sad because I think I will miss Spring if we don't sell our house soon, but maybe your spring is further out. Anyone have a fair answer to this???

Liz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2007, 03:24 PM

1,453 posts, read 5,149,261 times
Spring in NC is usually early March. Today it's 65 degrees and sunny, beautiful in Charlotte. The cherry trees are starting to bloom.

Old 02-28-2007, 03:32 PM

842 posts, read 3,229,408 times
We've had an unusually cold February. That has kept the plants and flowers from sprouting. Normally, you would see alot more flowers blossoming this time of year.

Old 02-28-2007, 03:39 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,282,498 times
Default Not yet Spring Weahter....

Yeah, I don't feel like it is spring here yet but I imagine within the next three weeks it will feel like the start of spring. I actually took advantage of the warmer weather today and fertilized my lawn and applied some lime as well. The grass looks like it is coming out of dormancy and starting to grow in some spots and I want to get a jump start before the temps get too warm this summer! By the way, if you fertilize your yard, please make sure you sweep up any that lands on the sidewalks and driveway so it isn't washed down the storm drain and into the beautiful Neuse River!

Old 02-28-2007, 03:49 PM

607 posts, read 2,430,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by businessperson View Post
Spring in NC is usually early March. Today it's 65 degrees and sunny, beautiful in Charlotte. The cherry trees are starting to bloom.

Wow I would love to see the Cherry trees blooming. That is something else I was curious about. Now that we will be living in North Carolina, what is the best fruit tree to grow, that is pretty like a Cherry tree in the Spring???

Old 02-28-2007, 07:40 PM

137 posts, read 607,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbognar View Post
We've had an unusually cold February. That has kept the plants and flowers from sprouting. Normally, you would see alot more flowers blossoming this time of year.
Yes, but we had a gorgeous 3 weeks in January to offset February!

Old 03-01-2007, 05:24 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,031,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizardlips View Post
Wow I would love to see the Cherry trees blooming. That is something else I was curious about. Now that we will be living in North Carolina, what is the best fruit tree to grow, that is pretty like a Cherry tree in the Spring???
Are you sure you want fruit? That's a pain, IMO .

There's a dearth of Bradford Pears. Pretty flowers, but everyone has them, it seems.

I have several Kwanzan Cherries in my yard.

They have colorful pink blooms; looking sort of like clusters of carnations.

http://www.moananurserynews.com/news/516/plant1.jpg (broken link)

While scentless, they are still a wonderful landscaping tree that grows quickly. I have two planted out back that started as 6 ft specimens 7 years ago, and now soar about 30 feet up. You have to be particular about pruning them. The branches will grow the length of the trunk, and they'll end up looking like giant bushes if you don't train them. Also, Japanese Beetles regard them as salad and will quickly strip the tree if you don't battle infestations that tend to migrate around the state. It's taken several years of diligent trapping (I didn't want to use pesticide), but last year there I only saw a few buzzing around my trees.

Old 03-01-2007, 07:39 AM

1,790 posts, read 6,517,023 times
Those are stunning trees.. just really makes me want my own yard.. sigh.. anyway, can't wait to see the daffodils in full bloom.

Old 03-01-2007, 07:41 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,407,422 times
Cherries are nice...but when I think of spring in NC (specifically April) the main flowers that come to mind are Dogwoods (our state flower), Redbuds, and Azaleas. All three are often found clustered together in many older developments, and when they all bloom at the same time in early April--and plant tulips in between them--What a Sight!

Old 03-01-2007, 07:48 AM

1,790 posts, read 6,517,023 times
Yeah it's really neat to see Dogwoods bloom. It's easy to spot them blooming on the edges and sometimes deep in the woods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary