Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 07:23 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,602,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
No horn honker here...
You have me mistaken for someone else.

FWIW, I have done this probably thousands of times, and never felt it to be dangerous, never felt threatened.
How did he manage to get in front of the other car?
Did the other guy do a hole shot?
Not really sure. It was raining pretty hard so visibility was bad. But the guy who got nailed was out in the middle of the intersection trying to make a left turn across the lanes of traffic where the light was going from green to red. Maybe he didn't wait long enough
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 11:00 AM

337 posts, read 1,138,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDJeep98 View Post
As long as we're at it...

And in NC, at least, you CAN'T turn right on a red arrow, even if NO ONE is coming. Right Turn on Red only applies to the normal round red light, not the arrow. (I'm pretty sure it's in the book.)

Thank you for your support.
You've got that backwards. Here's a quote from the NC Highway Patrol spokesman.

"Whether it's a red arrow or a red circle, you can turn right after stopping -- unless there's a sign that says you can't," said Capt. Everett Clendenin, spokesman for the state Highway Patrol.

Here's the full article.

newsobserver.com | The light's red, but it points to confusion (http://www.newsobserver.com/print/tuesday/city_state/story/1316871.html - broken link)

Old 12-13-2008, 03:24 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,929,869 times
Drivers who like to run red lights need to understand that there some cameras in the area that will take a photo of your plate as you go through thinking you got away with something. We have two intersections right here in North Hills with cameras. Just for intertainment, a lot of the residents here go over and watch cars running the red lights. The one at Six Forks and Rowan really nails'em Just the other night it got four at one time

Old 12-13-2008, 04:14 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,602,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Just for intertainment, a lot of the residents here go over and watch cars running the red lights.
And that, folks, is why some people question Raleigh's lack of available nightlife/entertainment/culture. . .

Old 12-13-2008, 04:45 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,929,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
And that, folks, is why some people question Raleigh's lack of available nightlife/entertainment/culture. . .
Just kidding of course about the gallery...but I have honestly seen the Rowan camera get 4 cars at once

Old 12-13-2008, 07:33 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raleighmark View Post

"Whether it's a red arrow or a red circle, you can turn right after stopping -- unless there's a sign that says you can't," said Capt. Everett Clendenin, spokesman for the state Highway Patrol.

Here's the full article.

newsobserver.com | The light's red, but it points to confusion (http://www.newsobserver.com/print/tuesday/city_state/story/1316871.html - broken link)

This is true. The ONLY time you can't turn right on red is when there is a sign there that says "No turn on red".

Old 12-13-2008, 07:42 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,212,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NcerfromNY View Post
here's another one that irritates me to no end -- drivers who sit behind the stop line. Duh, you idiot, the light won't turn unless you trip it.
oh the irony.

Old 12-13-2008, 08:03 PM

1,967 posts, read 954,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NcerfromNY View Post
here's another one that irritates me to no end -- drivers who sit behind the stop line. Duh, you idiot, the light won't turn unless you trip it.
It seems that this phenomenon happens all over these United States. The rest of the tread is here I say, Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!!

Old 12-13-2008, 08:19 PM

115 posts, read 381,314 times
Red face Wrong again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raleighmark View Post

Here's the full article.

Well, it seems I spoke too soon. I looked it up in the Driver's Handbook and it describes the Right Turn on Red in the section on the Round Red Light, but under the Red Arrow section, it only says, "A red arrow means turning traffic must stop." There is nothing there that says you have to stay stopped.

Odd. Every other place I've ever lived (all up and down the east coast) the rule was if there was an arrow, you couldn't turn unless it was green. Oh, well. I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong again...just ask my wife!

Old 12-14-2008, 06:39 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,723,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDJeep98 View Post
Odd. Every other place I've ever lived (all up and down the east coast) the rule was if there was an arrow, you couldn't turn unless it was green. Oh, well. I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong again...just ask my wife!
Like they said, only places I've seen where you can't turn right on a red have had signs.

My wife said that when she moved from NYC to Virginia, she couldn't believe it when she saw people turning right on red, 'cause according to her, they don't allow it in NYC. Of course, when I visited NYC, they had "NO TURN ON RED" signs in most places, especially in the denser parts of Queens and Brooklyn.

All I know is, when we've driven around Raleigh, it was a much welcome break from driving around Baltimore or the suburbs in Maryland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary