Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 03:57 PM

945 posts, read 1,972,066 times

Advertisements

These responses are funny so far. Most are complaining that the expectations were set to low for this season. HELLO!!!! That is what I have been saying and is the point of this thread. I have been stating that the doom & gloom media has been trying to convince everyone that this will be the worst in decades and I have been stating that they will be wrong. I have stated that we will not have a banner year, but it will not be as bad as they were projecting. That was the point and how anyone can argue it by saying exactly what I was saying is beyond me.

Also, I am not sure what paying cash or using CC has to do with exceeding the doom & gloom expectations. People have charged in the past and are probably charging now. However, that is not what the thread is about. It is simply about how the media over hyped the doom & gloom as I have been saying they were.

For what it is worth, I did read an article stating that people were actually reducing their debt level, so if I can find it again, I will post it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 08:55 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgrl View Post
why do I keep reading these threads?
Because the same stuff is posted every day trying to push an agenda..

Old 12-12-2008, 10:02 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,590,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyO View Post
Anyway, to get serious, we have been very careful about our spending this year, definitely not spending more than usual (though building a house will do that to you), and CASH ONLY (well, check card linked directly to the bank account anyway).

I really do think this is a matter of the expectation bar being set so low that we couldn't help but trip over it. But also, I'm sure many people are foolishly racking up credit card debt that's only going to get harder and harder to pay off as CC companies tighten the grip bit by bit.
Debit card...perhaps the biggest "duh" convenience possible. So many people claim that they only reason they use credit cards to pay for everything is because its "easier" and "more convenient". I wonder if these people have never HEARD of a debit card? Have money in your checking acount linked to the debit card; use it to pay for gas at the pump, when you're in a hurry, etc...and it deducts the cash from your checking account. It really isn't that complicated; my two oldest kids each got a checking account with a debit card when they turned 16.

Old 12-12-2008, 10:08 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
I stopped using my debit card because it seemed that every time I did, I was charged TWICE, especially at grocery stores.

Now I only use my credit card so that I have to SIGN the receipt. Plus...I get points and when my points add up, I get cash back. Yes, I do pay it off each and every month!

Vicki

Old 12-13-2008, 04:56 AM

535 posts, read 1,741,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobirdz27 View Post
Did you get shot there too? I heard it's dangerous!
That would be Walmart.

I heard that the numbers would be down too but were up a few points.

From what I've seen talking to people not everyone is as affected by the slowdown. I'm gov't, have a secure job (we're short 3 people so it's not like they can let any more go) and have only a few bills. The guy behind me worked for a head hunter, he got the boot last month (although he wasn't a performer anyway), they're not spending much at all now.

My spending is down a lot for Christmas. The kids will make out but the SO and I are getting each other basics and using our $$ for fun things. Early xmas gift was a crockpot, each week we try something new.

The retailers here seem to be doing ok...Walmart continues to be packed, Best Buy is busy. Not sure about the small shops downtown though.

Old 12-13-2008, 07:24 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,715,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Debit card...perhaps the biggest "duh" convenience possible. So many people claim that they only reason they use credit cards to pay for everything is because its "easier" and "more convenient". I wonder if these people have never HEARD of a debit card? Have money in your checking acount linked to the debit card; use it to pay for gas at the pump, when you're in a hurry, etc...and it deducts the cash from your checking account. It really isn't that complicated; my two oldest kids each got a checking account with a debit card when they turned 16.
Debit cards don't provide nearly the same legal protection to you if they are lost, stolen, or used fraudulently. Sure, your bank might feel generous and go above what they are required to do, but with credit cards the issuing company has no choice.

Old 12-13-2008, 07:34 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,437,113 times
I've been to both Triangle and Crabtree this week - didn't appear to be too busy. Even Santa looked bored. The crowds didn't appear much different than any other week of the year.

However, the weekends may be different. I expect a lot of walking around and window shopping this weekend.. more shopping next weekend.... but nothing too exciting....

I've cut back on my spending a lot, and I see no reason to continue throughout the holidays and beyond.

I consider myself a....

(TAS) Typical American Shopper. Its just getting easier and easier to say NO.

Actually, I'm pretty proud of myself...............

This weekend, while I'm browsing I'll be observing to see if people are carrying a lot of purchases or just hanging out with the elves.

Old 12-13-2008, 08:04 AM

525 posts, read 1,298,042 times
I don't think you can judge the economy by how many people are in the stores or even by how many bags people are carrying. Even in the worst of recessions, not many people just "skip" Christmas altogether. People will still be shopping, filling up the malls, and making purchases. What we can't necessarily tell is whether or not their bags are carrying $9 clearance sweaters or $300 ipods and how that compares to what that individual has spent in the past. Even if you DO see someone buying a $300 ipod doesn't mean that they weren't originally planning on buying a $1500 television but scaled back when things started getting scary. I'm not saying that I can tell what's going on any better than anyone else - maybe people really are spending just as much as they always have. But I am saying that looking at parking lots and the lines at Macy's really doesn't tell you what's going on!

Old 12-13-2008, 08:12 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,437,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit MA Now View Post
Shoppers rein in holiday spending :: WRAL.com

Well here is some interesting and "good" news. While the doom & gloom media had been predicting the worst holiday (aka Christmas) shopping season in many decades, it turns out that it is not quite as bad as they were hoping. Notice how they don't have doom & gloom shopping stories on the nightly news anymore? I love it. It may not be a record year here, but sales are actually better than Triangle retailers were led to believe they would be. I am not sure what the final numbers will be nationally, but as I have been saying for some time now that while the Triangle will not set records in sales this year it will NOT be the worst in 25 years as some had hoped. I hate to say "I told you so", but...............oh wait, I love to say "I told you so".

"With the economy and everything, I think everybody was definitely scared,” said Tina Ringer, with Seagrove Pottery. While business is off this season, it is not as bad as Ringer feared.

“The Nicole Miller, it is a $400 dress, and we are sold out," said Jenn Johnson, with Wardrobbe. Miller says customers are still buying expensive items. While sales are down, they are not as dismal as anticipated, she said. "We are doing really good from what we thought we would be doing,” Johnson said.
Glad to see somebody is buying a $400.00 Nicole Miller dress. By the way, who is Nicole Miller???

Old 12-13-2008, 09:02 AM

675 posts, read 1,833,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit MA Now View Post
These responses are funny so far. Most are complaining that the expectations were set to low for this season. HELLO!!!!
I guess that would be me. Not complaining. More of an observation, really. Complaining implies emotional involvement, and I really don't care either way. You're the one so fervently backing all of these pro-shopping stories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary