Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 02:41 PM

129 posts, read 336,582 times

Advertisements

I'm with Wachovia and love them for the most part!

(Is it still PC to recommend Wachovia??)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 02:46 PM

447 posts, read 1,718,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmflu View Post
I'm with Wachovia and love them for the most part!

(Is it still PC to recommend Wachovia??)
Walkalloverya Wells Fargo is buying them, so while the name is changing I am sure if they offer a product to someone now they will honor the product in the near future.

Old 12-13-2008, 08:50 AM

65 posts, read 133,486 times
I would highly recommend Capital Bank. I believe that when possible, you should bank with a locally headquarted (in Capital's case, Raleigh) bank who reinvests its profits in your community. Capital is very active in the local community, and in fact I saw all of their employees throughout the day yesterday volunteering for WRAL's Coats for the Children Telethon. For the most part, their service is impeccable, they are large enough to have all of the bells and whistles of the big banks, but they are small enough to care. It reminds me of the way banking used to be. They also have a Smart Checking account which pays either 4.01% or 5.01% and gives FREE ACCESS TO EVERY ATM IN THE WORLD!!! Plus, no minimum balance requirement and an otherwise free account. Best bank I've ever had. Check them out.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:32 AM

920 posts, read 2,813,645 times
I like the folks down at the Cameron Village Wachovia.

Old 12-13-2008, 07:59 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,212,831 times
FWIW I would not recommend Truliant.

Old 12-13-2008, 09:36 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times
I highly recommend Coastal Credit Union, especially at their headquarters. Once, I was signing up for a second account, and I was trying out one of their (free) massage chairs. The bank rep actually filled out the form for me, came out behind the desk, over to me, while I was still getting "massaged," and had me simply review the form and sign it. She knelt down to show it to me. Talk about service! I was in awe!

Service is always good and fees are low. Can't beat it. I've also never had to wait in a line.

I've had miserable experiences with other big banks here.

Old 12-13-2008, 09:39 PM

2,135 posts, read 7,657,162 times
That's where my account is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berob View Post
I would highly recommend Capital Bank. I believe that when possible, you should bank with a locally headquarted (in Capital's case, Raleigh) bank who reinvests its profits in your community. Capital is very active in the local community, and in fact I saw all of their employees throughout the day yesterday volunteering for WRAL's Coats for the Children Telethon. For the most part, their service is impeccable, they are large enough to have all of the bells and whistles of the big banks, but they are small enough to care. It reminds me of the way banking used to be. They also have a Smart Checking account which pays either 4.01% or 5.01% and gives FREE ACCESS TO EVERY ATM IN THE WORLD!!! Plus, no minimum balance requirement and an otherwise free account. Best bank I've ever had. Check them out.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:43 PM

30 posts, read 124,947 times
I have always found BB&T very pleasant to do business with. They have, I believe, a free checking account for Seniors and if you actually have to go into the bank, the customer service is always excellent.

Capital Bank as well is wonderful.

I do banking with Wachovia and I have never had any issues with it, and I believe they also have free checking.

By all means stay very clear of Bank of America. They may seem good on paper, but they are money sucking thieves with really really REALLY bad customer service. Trust me on this one

Old 12-14-2008, 12:26 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,704,794 times
I'm surprised no one mentioned Cardinal - I hear it has a good rep.

Old 12-14-2008, 03:43 AM

531 posts, read 1,983,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckreis View Post
Credit Unions are a decent bet, I am with State Employees but like the name says you have to be, or be related to a State Employee. I.
This is worth posting again: you do NOT have to be a state employee or related to a state employee to use SECU. I joined because I share a dwelling (as proven by driver's license or utility bill) with a SECU member. There are other ways to join as well; maybe one of them will work for you. Try the www.ncsecu.org website.

That said, I believe they charge a dollar a month for a checking account--but the account also pays interest. Maybe they waive that for seniors...

Last edited by goat1of2; 12-14-2008 at 04:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary