Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 10:40 AM

1 posts, read 3,205 times

Advertisements

It does not matter what style of Martial Arts you decide on as long as the school offers the following:
1) Teach Physical skills that give your child a sense of confidence and love for physical exercise
2) Teach your child how to intelligently cope with bullys and conflict
3) Teach life skills: honesty, humility, dignity, self discipline and respect
4) Teach safety techniques
5) Classes should be FUN and interactive

Both my adult children started martial arts when they were 4 and 6 years old and still train. The martial arts school that you choose should be part of of your childs overall education and you should not select a school by cost but by overall education that they can and will provide.

I recommend that you take intro classes from different schools and styles. You will know right away when you find the right school and instructor.

Lastly... any legitimate martial arts school will allow you to terminate your agreement with 30 days notice. A good school will keeps you learning, fit and having fun.
Good luck

Old 01-07-2009, 08:20 PM

516 posts, read 1,884,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puddintain View Post
It does not matter what style of Martial Arts you decide on as long as the school offers the following:
I think that depends on exactly what you want out of the school.

Quote:
1) Teach Physical skills that give your child a sense of confidence and love for physical exercise
As long as it's not a FALSE sense of confidence. Having a black belt at 8 is false confidence.

Quote:
2) Teach your child how to intelligently cope with bullys and conflict
Agreed.

Quote:
3) Teach life skills: honesty, humility, dignity, self discipline and respect
Again, I think that depends on what you want out of the class, although I would generally agree.

Quote:
4) Teach safety techniques
Not sure I understand

Quote:
5) Classes should be FUN and interactive
A good teacher will do that, I agree.

Quote:
...you should not select a school by cost but by overall education that they can and will provide.
True. What I find funny is that most of the expensive schools provide a lower quality of martial arts education than the lower priced schools, though. I think it has something to do with using martial arts as a means to make a lot of money vs. following a martial art as a way of life.

Quote:
I recommend that you take intro classes from different schools and styles. You will know right away when you find the right school and instructor.
Watch, too. You can tell a lot from watching, and you can also tell a lot if you're not permitted to watch.

Quote:
Lastly... any legitimate martial arts school will allow you to terminate your agreement with 30 days notice.
While I won't argue, I don't think that a good school has any need for contracts.

Quote:
A good school will keeps you learning, fit and having fun.
Which is why a good school doesn't need contracts

Old 01-08-2009, 04:52 AM

451 posts, read 1,650,212 times
Tony,

Any recommendations for a 4.5 year old girl? We'd like her to learn jujitsu but think that it might be a little much for her. Krav maga is much too intense for a little one. We were thinking maybe kickboxing would set up a good foundation. What are your thoughts? Any suggestions? Cary-ish area?

Tae-kwon-do is out for so many obvious reasons.

Old 01-08-2009, 01:45 PM

I agree that jujitsu and krav maga are out for that age.

A quick google search turns up a good number of options. The ones that stand out to me are:
The Society of Harmonious Fists Karate-do - Welcome! (http://www.goju.us/index.html - broken link) - This is Goju-ryu, an Okinawan style
*United*Shotokan*Karate* - Shotokan (Japanese)
Triangle Best Karate - Shotokan
Japan Karate-Do Organization of Garner | Teaching traditional, authentic ****o-Ryu Karate - ****o-ryu

I don't know what your price point is, but those that had a price were charging $70-$100/month

I looked over the Cary Park & Recreation guide. If TKD is out, then I can't recommend any of the other programs. And the Cary YMCA only has TKD.

If you're ok waiting until September, there may be another option coming available.

Old 01-08-2009, 01:50 PM

I'm sorry, I didn't realize City-Data used a stupid ineffective profanity filter that would prevent me from typing a Japanese word like "shi" + "to".

Moderators: May I suggest reading up on the S****horpe Problem (that will probably get filtered, too):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S****horpe_Problem

Old 01-09-2009, 04:04 AM

451 posts, read 1,650,212 times
Thanks Tony!

Old 02-02-2009, 11:13 AM

1 posts, read 3,061 times
Default Karate in Apex NC

There is a Karate school in Apex NC next to peak fitness on W. Williams St. The Karate Dojo (Goju-Ryu)
Age groups 4-6, ($65 a month 3 classes a week) 7-13, 14 to Adult. $95 per month, up to 5 classes per week)

No Contracts, No registration fee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary