Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2009, 08:50 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,464,294 times

Advertisements

Where do you see Triangle in the next 10 yrs? 20?

What will still be the same, what will have changed for better/worse?

Def seems like it will keep growing...

North Carolina County/State Population Projections | NC | OSBM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 08:53 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,170,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
Where do you see Triangle in the next 10 yrs? 20?

What will still be the same, what will have changed for better/worse?

Def seems like it will keep growing...

North Carolina County/State Population Projections | NC | OSBM
Unless a southern branch of NJ is needed, we hope growth ends.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:07 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,464,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Unless a southern branch of NJ is needed, we hope growth ends.
You can pretty much bet on the exact opposite of that...

Old 02-02-2009, 09:20 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,170,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
You can pretty much bet on the exact opposite of that...
Never know.

Some of the cheapskate companies that moved here to save money will find an even cheaper place.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:43 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,563,286 times
OK Let's get serious here. Growth is not going to end. Most desireable places in the US and the world for that matter will see plenty of growth in the next 10-20 years. To all the people that keep on talking about how bad it's getting here, where do you think it's much better? To me it seems like some people will complain just to complain. If you have a job, are paying your bills and have a place to call home, then things are just fine.

Why is growth a bad thing? Should we exterminate the rest of the human race because now we're here no one else is welcome?

Old 02-02-2009, 10:20 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,291,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
we hope growth ends.
If I were a betting man I would wager there is a much better chance of you moving to Cary and buying a house than there is of growth coming to an end in this area anytime within the next three decades.

FWIW, There are a lot young people here in the Triangle and the average life expectancy of our seniors contiues to rise. Even if transplants stopped arriving today, I would expect the population of the Triangle to continue to increase over the next twenty years through the "old fashioned" method of growth.

Old Fashioned Growth

Old 02-02-2009, 10:24 AM

167 posts, read 567,053 times
the triangles future? the triangle's future. apparantly it's a catastrophe for the apostrophe all over. Its a catastrophe for the apostrophe in Britain :: WRAL.com (http://www.wral.com/news/national_world/world/story/4438462/ - broken link)

Old 02-02-2009, 10:29 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,344,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
OK Let's get serious here. Growth is not going to end. Most desireable places in the US and the world for that matter will see plenty of growth in the next 10-20 years. To all the people that keep on talking about how bad it's getting here, where do you think it's much better? To me it seems like some people will complain just to complain. If you have a job, are paying your bills and have a place to call home, then things are just fine.

Why is growth a bad thing? Should we exterminate the rest of the human race because now we're here no one else is welcome?

I agree. Planned growth is a good thing and I do not see it stopping here. There will be periods of slow growth (last 12 months) and periods of booming growth (2004-2007) and everything thing else inbtween.

In regards to your last point...who would we call anyway, the Orkin man, Hu-man-ex??? Sorry I really tried hard to give a serious answer but failed!

Which way triangle and 'point' me in the right direction!

Old 02-02-2009, 10:30 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,974,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
If I were a betting man I would wager there is a much better chance of you moving to Cary and buying a house than there is of growth coming to an end in this area anytime within the next three decades.

FWIW, There are a lot young people here in the Triangle and the average life expectancy of our seniors contiues to rise. Even if transplants stopped arriving today, I would expect the population of the Triangle to continue to increase over the next twenty years through the "old fashioned" method of growth.

Old Fashioned Growth
There are countless females in the triangle area in their 30's with no desire to reproduce. As the economy spirals into depression, I'm willing to bet a large sum of money that family sizes will shrink considerably. The triangle area is heavily overweighted in a service based economy. As ".-." pointed out, we don't really make much here anymore. Now that housing has slowed to a crawl and RTP is beginning to lay off yuppies with formerly high amounts of disposable income, the restaurant industry as well as remaining gadget shops are likely next to take the hit, as one of the first places to cut costs is to stop buying iDork gadgets and stop eating out at Glenwood South. Certain areas will make up for lost business, such as Golden Corral, Olive Garden, etc. This will feed back onto the local economy, and more cuts will beget more cuts.

Just as a sign of this phenomena, even the once bustling Carolina Ale House is looking rather sparse lately, at least the one over at Brier Creek and having been there multiple times in the past month.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:13 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,291,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
There are countless females in the triangle area in their 30's with no desire to reproduce. As the economy spirals into depression, I'm willing to bet a large sum of money that family sizes will shrink considerably. The triangle area is heavily overweighted in a service based economy. As ".-." pointed out, we don't really make much here anymore. Now that housing has slowed to a crawl and RTP is beginning to lay off yuppies with formerly high amounts of disposable income, the restaurant industry as well as remaining gadget shops are likely next to take the hit, as one of the first places to cut costs is to stop buying iDork gadgets and stop eating out at Glenwood South. Certain areas will make up for lost business, such as Golden Corral, Olive Garden, etc. This will feed back onto the local economy, and more cuts will beget more cuts.

Just as a sign of this phenomena, even the once bustling Carolina Ale House is looking rather sparse lately, at least the one over at Brier Creek and having been there multiple times in the past month.
FWIW, when I talk about population projections over the next 30 years and talk about future births I'm not really looking at today's 30 year olds. Their children for the most part are already all around us. I'm talking about the grand kids of today's 30, 40, and 50 year olds who will make up the population of the future over the next three decades. Perhaps some will leave this area but I'm guessing at least a few will be sticking around and continue to reproduce. And today's 50 year old will only be 80 in three decades so I wouldn't write them off yet. Shoot my grandmother just turned 93 and she still lives on her own!

I hear what you are saying about jobs and housing impacting family size, but I think the Triangle population has already reached a self-sustaining critical mass that will result in its continued growth albeit dampened to some extent by the economy of today and future decades.

I don't disagree with everything you said, but I still think this area is very likely to grow in population over the next three decades even if we see decade long depression. In the end, unfortunately the planners of today who have to plan infrastructure needs for the area don't really have the luxury of a "lets wait and see" mentality.

Please don’t confuse me with others who think this area is impervious to everything. That’s not what I am implying. I’m just saying that increased population growth, for better or worse is going to be a part of the Triangle landscape for quite a while to come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary