Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2008, 04:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,412 times

Advertisements

We moved to Raleigh a few months ago (from up north) and are currently renting as we get familar with the areas. After lots of exploring we are almost certain we are going to go with someting ITB. There are some houses that look really nice both up on Glenwood (in the area around CCC) as well as closer in to town in 5 points area. Any thoughts on noise, traffic or other "unpleasant" elements being so close to a main road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 04:40 PM

546 posts, read 2,417,453 times
Well, Glenwood Avenue is Glenwood Avenue and you will have lots of traffic at all hours. I don't think it will be unusually noisy but I don't live so don't know first hand. It is personal preference. Do you like very quiet, solitude or the hustle/bustle of being in the mix?

Old 12-12-2008, 04:47 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,049,240 times
Default reply

Most all of the lots near the Club are set far enough back from the road that noise is not a big issue. I live directly off of Glenwood in Five Points and my backyard is probably 100 yards from Glenwood by the crow flies. We can hear cars from our backyard iduring rushhour if we really listen. Of course we have alot of trees between us and the road. Most folks that by on Glenwood in Five Points have no problem with the noise. They chose to live where they do. I would ask a realtor to show me the property during high traffic and see what you think. Good luck.

Old 12-12-2008, 04:56 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,162,317 times
I live one block from Glenwood and am not bothered by it at all. From CCC all the way into town, Glenwood's speed is a posted 35 mph. However, I'd expect it to move somewhat faster than that regularly.
I would suggest, if you are concerned about it, to just look one block off of Glenwood.
You'll love living in the area. Good luck.

Old 12-12-2008, 05:04 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,284,407 times
I would live along Glenwood Avenue in that area in a heartbeat! Some great looking houses along there. If traffic is an issue I would visit during High traffic times to check it out. It is one of the best areas of Raleigh IMHO.

Old 12-12-2008, 05:34 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,148,219 times
I've had my car rear-ended on Glenwood very close to CCC, and another family member has also been in an accident right in that area. Folks speed, visibility is not great, and there is more traffic than that road was originally designed to handle. I'd personally rather live in Five Points where the traffic is slower moving.

Old 12-12-2008, 06:20 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,049,240 times
Default reply

One more thing- I have been in 10 or 12 back yards of homes on Glenwood and most were pretty deep and private. People really make their backyard a retreat. I have to disagree with J_Lurk on the homes near CCC. Most of those are on large lots with at least 200 feet of frontage with circular driveways. I have lived here a long time and have seen very few wrecks/fender benders on Glenwood between Glen Eden and Five Points. The old trolley tracks due keep the traffic moving slower around five points. I still miss the roundabout that used to be at the Five Points intersection.

Old 12-15-2008, 01:25 PM

266 posts, read 1,052,519 times
Default It's all relative...

when judging "noise". Spend some time sitting in a house you are viewing, sitting in the back yard and in the front yard. Your life style is an important factor, too. If you love to be out in the yard and hate having to raise your voice, downtown living may not be for you, even in lil' ol' Raleigh. If you are inside most of the time, good insulation and windows and doors may cut out most of the noise. I get frequent requests for "quiet" homes, but when it comes down to it, clients often pick homes I would not judge as quiet, but they do.
There are some other neighborhoods inside the beltline that are very charming, but have less traffic noise. At least consider homes farther from the main drags, if noise is a concern.
I live on a busy street in Oakwood and LOVE it. It is so much fun sitting on my porch and listening to people talk, hearing music drifting in from other homes, etc. It is basically free entertainment and a glue that knits us all together. Impossible to feel lonely here!
Additionally, you get used to it quickly. I barely notice traffic noises now.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:56 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,396,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB hunting View Post
We moved to Raleigh a few months ago (from up north) and are currently renting as we get familar with the areas. After lots of exploring we are almost certain we are going to go with someting ITB. There are some houses that look really nice both up on Glenwood (in the area around CCC) as well as closer in to town in 5 points area. Any thoughts on noise, traffic or other "unpleasant" elements being so close to a main road.
Glenwood has a lot to offer, but with that will come some traffic issues in an area like that. Everyone has a different tolerance level for the noise. I would have to say that Glenwwod is far superior to Capital Blvd. Capital is a lot more sketchy and the traffic is about the worst I have ever seen anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary