Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 02:34 PM

1 posts, read 3,469 times

Advertisements

We have a child that will enter middle school in the fall (6th grade) and another that will begin 3rd grade. I’ve started to look at homes in Wake Forest and realized quickly there can be continuous change in assignments year after year due to the growth. We found one home that is a possibility with assignments to Wake Forest Elem and Wake Forest Middle for 2007/2008We can’t really find much on these two schools. Would anyone happen to know anything about them?

It seems Wakefield schools score well. Do you know anything about Wakefield or Rolesville schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2007, 05:15 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,664,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janprentice View Post
We have a child that will enter middle school in the fall (6th grade) and another that will begin 3rd grade. I’ve started to look at homes in Wake Forest and realized quickly there can be continuous change in assignments year after year due to the growth. We found one home that is a possibility with assignments to Wake Forest Elem and Wake Forest Middle for 2007/2008We can’t really find much on these two schools. Would anyone happen to know anything about them?

It seems Wakefield schools score well. Do you know anything about Wakefield or Rolesville schools?
What do you want to know specificlly? We just left Wake Forest Elementary last year (daughter is at Ligon this year) and have several friends in WF-R Middle.

We loved WF Elementary except for one teacher (that can happen anywhere), great electives (since it's a magnet school (but unique that it only has a base population). Our friends seem happy with the the middle school. Both run on the traditional calender for now. (It would be impossible to convert the elementary school, but it may happen at the middle school in the future.)

The Wakefield schools also have their fans, but I don't know anything about Rolesville Elementary though it is a more rural school.

Old 03-01-2007, 05:37 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,030,382 times
I have friends with kids at wake forest elementary and they like it, the electives are great, I haven't heard any complaints. I also have friends with kids at wakefield, which is fine, but this year was overcrowded for their taste, although that will be alleviated because it will be year round starting in July. I have friends with kids at jones dairy and they LOVE it. The school seems to have a great mix of socioeconomics and that appeals to them, their daughter doesn't seem to feel that she needs to "keep up" with anyone. The really have had great experiences with the teachers as well (it is also year round). I have a friend with a daughter at forest pines, which is now in the dubois center but will be at its permanent location in the fall. They have had a great experience, the teachers have been wonderful, etc. It is a traditional calendar.

My daughter will attend north forest pines in july sometime (depending on the track she gets in), which is a new year round school. Wake forest is growing, and with that expansion comes reassignments, but I think the huge conversion to year round schools may help that a bit. There is another new elementary school opening in rolesville, sanford creek, other than that I don't know about the rolesville schools.

Hope this helps
Leigh

Old 03-01-2007, 07:26 PM

161 posts, read 683,116 times
I always advise my clients to search these web sites for school and student performance statistics. You can really learn a lot from these sites.

www.ncreportcards.org/ North Carolina Public School Report Card (look up by county)
www.wcpss.net Wake County Public School Site
www.schoolguidemagazine.com (broken link) (you don't have to pay for this guide;
look for the online copy that you can click on.)

It should help you.

Old 09-11-2007, 11:45 PM

237 posts, read 914,933 times
Default Wake forest 9th grade trailors

You have to be kiding me, we just moved here from las vegas were my son would have went to a crowded but new ,beautiful school. We heard all of the HYPE about wake forest schools and all the wake county schools. When we pulled into that old neighborhood and saw those trailors. We were speechless, our sons first highschool experience is going to be here. Why was the town not ready for the growth , they approve all the permits for new construction did they think single people without kids were buying all those 3-4 bedroom homes. ( of course not) it was poor planning now our kids mine and yours must suffer. He started today ( 2 weeks late ) and it was his first day and he HATED it. WE asked him why. He told me," I thought vegas was bad this place is alot worse". Last year they were kindergarden classes now they have the (9th graders shoved in there). The trailors are a mile from the main school ( wake forest - rolesville high) ( why when I see plenty of room there to put trailors) if they were atleast at the main highschool it would not be as bad . He has a class at the main school and today they never came back to get him he had to go to the office and ask how do i get back. Parents should stop excepting this crap we are pulling our son out tommorrow. everyone else should follow and tell the school why. maybe we will see them come up with a better solution when no kids show up for school. Another thing Heritage should have had the highschool built first before everyone moved here.Any comments.... disappointed maybe not new residents..........

Old 09-12-2007, 05:05 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,339,535 times
We have learned the painful lesson on WCPSS also. The online information about test scores and demographics is good information but its not the total picture. We learned that it would of been much smarter for us and our children to visit the schools when we can to look at the area and NOT just the subdivision. We would of seen immediately that the classrooms were trailers. We would have chosen the private school option or at least visted some. We are smarter now for the next move.

On the cost side the taxes are cheap and now we see why. I agree the area must plan better for growth, not everyone moving here are ready to retire or retired.

Why do the planning boards approve large subdivisions without solid new school plans. This seems like an easy fix. Don't approve any new subdivision with home sites great then (you pick the number) without functioning school at all levels.

Wakefield seem to do this but quickly got over crowed due to the rest of the area that did not. Take Bedford as an example, large subdivision with NO schools. How could that happen?

Does anyone else feel this is a problem of not planning for enough school rooms for our children? Trailers are trailers.

Old 09-12-2007, 06:26 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,846,254 times
Lots of places all over the country use trailers as an interim measure. I feel that the zoning boards sold out to the developers- they should have REQUIRED that they pay for some new schools. Hey, during the boom they could have!
Jones Dairy is great even if you have akid in a trailer (I do- 1 in a trailer, 1 in a classroom)
Heritage middle is getting better... the magnet situation is horrific... they do not add magnets with the population boom, they are closing them! And, there are slim pickings for honors programs unless you are in a swanky area.
I fI had know that there was such inequity re: course offerings & curriculum, we would have chosen a smaller home in a better area, like Wakefield or down in Cary or Apex. The school board really could care less about Wake Forest.

Last edited by NYer; 09-12-2007 at 06:26 AM.. Reason: a typo as usual

Old 09-12-2007, 07:25 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bull136 View Post
You have to be kiding me, we just moved here from las vegas were my son would have went to a crowded but new ,beautiful school. We heard all of the HYPE about wake forest schools and all the wake county schools. When we pulled into that old neighborhood and saw those trailors. We were speechless, our sons first highschool experience is going to be here. Why was the town not ready for the growth , they approve all the permits for new construction did they think single people without kids were buying all those 3-4 bedroom homes. ( of course not) it was poor planning now our kids mine and yours must suffer. He started today ( 2 weeks late ) and it was his first day and he HATED it. WE asked him why. He told me," I thought vegas was bad this place is alot worse". Last year they were kindergarden classes now they have the (9th graders shoved in there). The trailors are a mile from the main school ( wake forest - rolesville high) ( why when I see plenty of room there to put trailors) if they were atleast at the main highschool it would not be as bad . He has a class at the main school and today they never came back to get him he had to go to the office and ask how do i get back. Parents should stop excepting this crap we are pulling our son out tommorrow. everyone else should follow and tell the school why. maybe we will see them come up with a better solution when no kids show up for school. Another thing Heritage should have had the highschool built first before everyone moved here.Any comments.... disappointed maybe not new residents..........

The real estate industry's unfettered greed and tie-in with government let this happen.

Folks just need to look at sources like this board before deciding to move to areas served by WCPSS.

The school board has no control over building permits. The real estate associations and developers have deep pockets.

If folks wouldn't come here like lemmings, WCPSS might be able to catch up.

It was so much nicer here 10 years ago.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:23 AM

353 posts, read 995,728 times
I believe WF Elem is losing its magnet status.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:36 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,664,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighCEPark View Post
I believe WF Elem is losing its magnet status.
It is in 2010. Which is a shame. However, at it's core is a great group of teachers. I am sure it will continue to be a great school. There is just too much spirit and parental involvement for it not to be.

It’s just no longer the ‘out there’ location and rural area that got it to qualify for the ‘diversity magnet’ exception it started with in decades ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary