Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to North Carolina: Clayton, new construction leads, investments, buy a home, real estate.

Old 12-14-2008, 04:50 PM

43 posts, read 119,642 times

Advertisements

Hello:

Curious since we visited back in June 08 if there has been any progress with growth i.e. shopping/restaurants etc. Had a good feel about the area, but didn't spend a ton of time there; stumbled across Glenn Laurel which we thought was lovely, we prefer good restaurants and shopping and realize it is somewhat in a rural area, but don't want to have to drive too long to get to the good stuff. Also have been checking out Durham since have learned that everything is so convenient. Oh, our price range is 250 to 300. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2008, 05:12 PM

242 posts, read 1,212,991 times
How far is driving too far and what do you consider the "good stuff" ? We moved to Clayton back at end of January. We dont mind driving 10 - 25 minutes to Garner or Smithfield down business 70 (we live near business 70) and can find just about anything we need. Its also a relatively short ride into Raleigh when needed. Clayton is pretty large in its own right and we still havent seen it all to be honest (we have settled into shopping and dining where we go for the most part). I dont think there has been a whole lot of new businesses that have opened during your time frame of reference. However, there is a new medical facility (related to Johnston Memorial) and a new Walmart going up on 42 right near where it intersects the new 70 Bypass that is now open.

My guess is with new construction slowing and the economy being what it is right now, it will be quite sometime before any major commercial investments are made that would be considered a bit of a gamble.

You definitely can get more home for your price range in Clayton or perhaps what you need/looking for for less $ than expected.

Old 12-14-2008, 06:31 PM

43 posts, read 119,642 times
Thanks for your response Andy...well, I would say no more than 15-20 mins. to be w/in city proper and to have access to intrastate w/in a few miles. By "good stuff" I mean discount stores as in TJMax, Ross, Trader Joes, Fresh Market. Looked into Youngsville and the homes/prices look appealing, but am afraid it would be too rural. Smartest thing would be to rent for awhile and just check out all the neighboring towns and get a feel and go from there. And with the downturn in this market, who knows what the next few months will bring in the way of real estate. Doesn't look to promising. On another note, congrats on your move to Clayton!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy64 View Post
How far is driving too far and what do you consider the "good stuff" ? We moved to Clayton back at end of January. We dont mind driving 10 - 25 minutes to Garner or Smithfield down business 70 (we live near business 70) and can find just about anything we need. Its also a relatively short ride into Raleigh when needed. Clayton is pretty large in its own right and we still havent seen it all to be honest (we have settled into shopping and dining where we go for the most part). I dont think there has been a whole lot of new businesses that have opened during your time frame of reference. However, there is a new medical facility (related to Johnston Memorial) and a new Walmart going up on 42 right near where it intersects the new 70 Bypass that is now open.

My guess is with new construction slowing and the economy being what it is right now, it will be quite sometime before any major commercial investments are made that would be considered a bit of a gamble.

You definitely can get more home for your price range in Clayton or perhaps what you need/looking for for less $ than expected.

Old 12-14-2008, 06:52 PM

242 posts, read 1,212,991 times
I think there is a TJmax and Ross in the White Oaks Shopping Center in Garner which is pretty close. It is a very big shopping center with a BJ's Wholesale Club, Kohl's, Petsmart, Targets, Staples, Best Buy, Dicks Sporting Goods and a host of other stores and restaurants (Chili's for one that we eat at frequently). Its within 15 - 20 minutes from our home in Clayton and is right off Business 70/I40 and its one of the places we shop. I'm not sure about Fresh Market or Trader Joes, but pretty sure there aren't any in Clayton or nearby. Hopefully, others can provide more insight for you. Renting first is usually a good idea. Good luck on the search and employment, hope all works out well for you.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:21 PM

850 posts, read 3,624,775 times
There's also TONS of shopping in Knightdale, its 20 minutes from E. Clayton. Bed, Bath, Beyond comes to mind simply because there isn't one at White Oak (though with Linens n Things closing, maybe we'll see one now?) There much more in the way of stores, restaurants there too.

We rented first as well when we first moved here. I can't imagine us doing it any other way. We spent every weekend "neighborhood" shopping and when we narrowed it down to areas we really liked all around (also checked out the township sites/programs), then we chose a local realtor.

Good luck!
Lauren

Old 12-18-2008, 12:43 AM

14 posts, read 24,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy64 View Post
I think there is a TJmax and Ross in the White Oaks Shopping Center in Garner which is pretty close. It is a very big shopping center with a BJ's Wholesale Club, Kohl's, Petsmart, Targets, Staples, Best Buy, Dicks Sporting Goods and a host of other stores and restaurants (Chili's for one that we eat at frequently). Its within 15 - 20 minutes from our home in Clayton and is right off Business 70/I40 and its one of the places we shop. I'm not sure about Fresh Market or Trader Joes, but pretty sure there aren't any in Clayton or nearby. Hopefully, others can provide more insight for you. Renting first is usually a good idea. Good luck on the search and employment, hope all works out well for you.
Fresh Market is about 25-30 mins from Clayton and is Near NC State
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary