Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 09:53 PM

75 posts, read 253,459 times

Advertisements

I got U-verse installed today without a hitch (since I already had a pretty extensive ethernet network in place). The tech was in and out in 45 mins and got two TVs and internet setup.

I am moving from TWC HD digital cable...the equipment used by AT&T U-verse completely blows TWC away. I was expecting to get noticeably worse PQ with U-verse, but I can barely notice it. HD looks a little softer, but man the settop box is so quick...

The internet is fast (I got 12Mbps/1.5Mbps), but the latency is about 30ms higher on U-verse than RoadRunner....but the upload is three times what I was getting with RR.

And hello NFL Network.

I'm happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 06:11 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,727,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozilla33 View Post
We are moving to North Hills next week from California. Does anyone know if U-verse is available in that area? We hate Time Warner and would take anything else. Thx
Drop in your new address here:
http://www.att.com/u-verse/availability/

We can ballpark it for you, however because they roll out service in batches your neighbor could have it and you might not. It's really a roll of the dice as to whether or not you have the service available right now.

Old 07-22-2010, 03:06 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
So, according to a post at www.uverseusers.com, areas on Morrisville Carpenter are now being served by U-Verse. However, it appears that ATT, in their usual mode of not thinking or caring if cutomers are served, has set upa service that can serve about 100 people, including th emassivel populated "Downtown" Morrisville.

When I saw that, I did some checking and heres what I found.

So, I live in Savannah. I checked my address, no go.

I checked a ton of other addresses all along M-C.

So, a few addresses in the northern side of the Savannah subdivision worked (the dozen or so closest to the entrance) but none I tried on the other side did.

Tried a few addresses on Misty Groves Circle (Groves at Morrsivlle Condos - on the same side as the part of Savannah that does not get service) and most of them worked. So, if you live there, you are one of the lucky few and are good to go it seems.

Tried some in Carpenter Park on the same side and none of them worked.

Tried some in Ridgemont - none of them worked, even the first house

Tried some in Addison Park- none of them worked, even the first house

So, falling back to "downtown" Morrisville and I find that most of the Page and Church st address I tried get service.

Going down Town Hall Drive to Downing Ridge or Village is a no go either.

There are a couple of new boxes which I suspected is a VRAD that were installed at the end of Church a while back. http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=35.822328,-78.826448&spn=0.000503,0.000857&t=h&z=20 This is before the new boxes, but this is the location. So I assume it is serviced from there and these are all the houses they can serve from that location, which makes total sense because most of the area around it is undeveloped land in the flood plain.

So, Congratulations ATT, you put in a completely new install of Uverse that serves about 100 people, max, many of which are areas where the people could not care less about high speed internet. WAY TO GO!!!!!!!

Hopefully, they either just need to update their database fully or they will find a way to serve me or they have lost me as a customer. I am not going to live with leftover scrap internet 2.5 down and 312 up for much longer.

Old 07-22-2010, 04:36 PM

4,478 posts, read 11,620,809 times
AT&T was doing a lot of work in my neighborhood two months ago, but so far no sign of U-Verse. I'm kind of glad I went ahead and got a Tivo Premiere, even if it did mean switching to TWC. I can see what U-Verse has to offer next year when my TWC promo is up. I do need to drop DSL though - way too slow now that I'm doing a bit of gaming again!

Old 07-23-2010, 05:40 AM
jhk

108 posts, read 256,120 times
moving this weekend to a neighborhood that has uverse on a bunch of the streets but not mine. im in a predicament about who to go with etc. i was going to go with basic phone and internet with at&t but they want me to pay for the modem and said it cant be used when uverse becomes available. why do i want to pay for a modem that i may not use if uverse gets here in a month. then again what if its months away before it is available! i understand that they dont know for sure i will upgrade to uverse but at least work a deal. plus it bugs me that they cant seem to give you an idea of when your neighborhood will get it. I do not want to go with TWC. I think ill call today and see if i can get basic phone, internet and dish network bundled for a good deal and just switch over to uverse if and when it gets to my neighborhood.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:49 AM

I thought they ha da modem rental program, but maybe the dicontinued it.

I recently replaced my old old Bellsouth/ATT provided DSL modem with a TP-Link 8810 modem/router. Intrex computers has them locally for $25, so thats not too bad.

Old 09-29-2010, 01:04 PM

Still waiting on ATT to get Uverse turned on for me. Houses a few hundred feet away have it, but not me. THey really did spend money putting a box in a place that can serve almost no one. Too bad they are more interested in lying to customers than serving them.
Here is a screenshot showing just how well someone is planning this stuff out.
I fully understand that straight line distance is not wire distance. I am merely posting this as because if 3000 is the cutoff for wire distance, it makes no sense at all to locate the facility where it is, that is all. Look at all the green around the box. Most of it is floodplain or will become a park and will not see much if any development, ever.

This is what I think is the wire distance to my neighborhood. Based on knowing where the road used to run and the signs and boxes along the way, it should be pretty close and nicely coincides with the last house that is currently turned on in the system.

So glad I am not an ATT shareholder as they just don;t seem to understand whow to maximize profit at all.

Old 09-29-2010, 02:53 PM

792 posts, read 4,488,681 times
Those boxes (VRADs) can't show up until the fiber-optic backbone is run. It's possible that there isn't any fiber along Morrisville-Carpenter road yet, so that's why the box had to be located near Chapel-Hill Rd where I think they installed fiber recently. It's also possible that this box is what's going to let them run a new fiber line along Morrisville Carpenter Rd to get to your neighborhood. Just speculation on my part - AT&T doesn't make their uverse expansion plans known publicly, for competitive reasons, so nobody knows for sure. Hopefully you'll be able to get it soon.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:09 PM

Well, about 12 houses in the neighborhood actually have it, including one 500 feet from my house (at the left end of the line that ends on Star Magnolia) so I am pretty sure it is a distance thing. They are supposed to turn on Pair Bonding soon to get more than 3k feet, but who knows. I think they run on a geologic timescale.

Thats OK, if they wait much longer, they will not have to bother as all their potential customers will have left. I know it is much more difficult to keep from changing now that Time Warner finally has (or will soon if they get their act together) ESPN3.com access.

I just want someone at ATT to actually take ownership of a customer service issue and stop stringing me along and lying about getting service to me. Unfortunately they only know how to play hot potato with calls.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:13 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,337,516 times
LOL sherrif, you want someone at ATT to take ownership of a customer service issue? Please don't hold your breath waiting. Off the top of my head, I can't think of a company with worse service. They're too big to care and the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing. TWC is bad with Tele support (l-o-n-g wait times) but at least you eventually get to a human and from that point, they're ok. ATT? F-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary