Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2009, 07:21 AM

22 posts, read 65,280 times

Advertisements

I just checked my address in zipcode 27614. Not available. Boo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2009, 07:25 AM

22 posts, read 65,280 times
Default presuming is fibre ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhasadad View Post
Looks like south Cary may be getting it, they have just dug a bunch of suspicious holes in our subdivision. looks like they are getting ready to run the fiber.
Around the Six Forks/ Durant/ Brassfield intersections, they've been digging and putting in what I'm presuming is fibre (orange conduit). I stopped and looked at one of the the sign posts and it says it belongs to "Level 3 Communications"

Old 03-14-2009, 04:11 PM

97 posts, read 246,426 times
I guess it depends on what type of service you have with TWC to find out how much you could save with U-verse. I had 3 dvrs with TWC, U-verse has one for the whole house. All the other set top boxes connect to the central dvr, and you can watch it from any room in the house. I saved 65 dollars a month by switching to U-verse and am very happy with it.

Old 03-14-2009, 04:23 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
I also saved money by switching from TWC to U-verse. It's also more bang for your buck! Not a rip off at ALL!

Old 03-14-2009, 04:35 PM

164 posts, read 426,408 times
I'm a Telecom Tech consultant for TWC. They've had fiber in the ground ever since they stormed in here and ate up all the Cablevision/Adelphia/etc. markets.. which from what I hear was 10-20 yrs ago.

Old 03-14-2009, 05:52 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,575,847 times
Quote:
You sir, are a liar. Everyone in this forum who has TWC can attest to that fact. I won't address this point further, but it does make me curious as to why you feel the need to lie about the price you're paying. Let's look at another post...
I have to stick up for him on this one. First, I must say that I can't stand TWC and was looking forward to U-Verse until I found out it's a broadband connection which has multiple negatives.
Read my post regarding this topic:

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...-system-4.html

Old 03-26-2009, 03:49 PM

24 posts, read 72,966 times
Default has anyone tried AT&T yet?

I'm just curious if anyone knows what it's really like? And can anyone compare their experiences between TWC and AT&T?

I am very unhappy with TWC because:
  • When I order an on-demand movie it will often stop and give me a message that the movie cannot be played at this time. It'll give me the option to retry and I keep retrying and it takes forever to get it to continue playing and then it freezes again. This ain't cool when my kids are watching a movie! "Daddy the movie stopped again!"
  • Some of my DVR recordings mysteriously never record.
  • MLB and some of my HD channels will occasionally say "this channel is unavailable at this time."
  • And why isn't there any on-demand content for MLB channel?
  • These problems only seem to happen late at night when there's nobody there at TWC to complain to. So inevitably I suck it up and pay for the bad service because it's too much trouble to take time out of my day to deal with it.
  • The quality isn't that good. I had Verizon Fios in Virginia and the quality of the FIOS regular channels exceeded the quality of the HD channels on TWC. Plus the HD channels on FIOS were mind-blowingly good.
  • The interface sucks. It's very hard to find shows by searching for them. Fios had a great search feature. Lets say you wanted to watch a show about Egypt. Just search for the term Egypt and it would list all shows that had Egypt in the title or in the description. Next to each listing would be a symbol that would let you know if it is showing now, available on demand or an upcoming program. Upcoming programs would be organized by date.... how's that for an interface that makes sense. Have you tried searching for shows on TWC?
  • When we got FIOS they offered us a free 19" HDTV and a triple play package for $99.00/month that included very high speed internet (faster than the fastest DSL available here), 200+ channels of TV (HD included) & unlimited calling local & long distance phone service (with voice mail etc all included). For another 15 bucks or so you could get a deal with two sets of premium channels.
I really want something better than TWC and would like to know if AT&T is the answer? For anyone considering the option of FIOS, I have tried Cavalier's DSL TV, Comcast Cable TV, TWC & FIOS and it blows them all away on quaility, value & service.

Old 03-26-2009, 05:24 PM

97 posts, read 246,426 times
I have had both and like U-verse better. I saved over 60 dollars a month, mostly because I had 3 TWC DVRs and U-verse uses one for the whole house. All the set top boxes can access the DVR. I find the picture to be as good or better, with almost no pixilization or sound break ups. Most folks seem to think the picture quality isn't very good, but since TWC is the only service I can compare it to, it looks fine to me. U-verse also has over a hundred channels of hi-def. There is no MLB network, or NBA Network. They do have NFL and NHL. The guide is very intuitive and easy to use. The one problem I have noticed is that the guide doesn't always seem to indicate if a show is a rerun or new, so you should record first run and repeats to be sure you don't miss anything. The on demand offerings work perfectly with no breakup. The internet is very fast and reliable. When I was connected, VOIP was not available yet but it may be now. I am very happy with ATT and don't think it is a ripoff at all.

Old 04-16-2009, 02:23 PM

1 posts, read 2,840 times
Is anybody have any info about near Weston Pointe subdivision in Cary (27513) or seen any trucks that are near that area? I note that my address on Battery Point Place is showing as "not available" and was curious about whether I should do a contract with DirectTV or wait for U-Verse.

Old 04-16-2009, 04:37 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Knowing the telco's sorry introduction of DSL, it will probably take years for AT&T to get the service working reliably.

I appreciate them only as competitors keeping TWC from getting too greedy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary