Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 08:01 AM

4 posts, read 6,402 times

Advertisements

We have a 1yr old daughter and will be moving to Raleigh in the next few months from MN and are not sure where to even start looking. We'd like to find a neighborhood with young families, good schools, interesting restaurant choices (other than the standard Applebees, etc), and paved running trails nearby. We are open to new contruction, or older neighborhoods, just don't want to see 10 other houses from our backyard. My husband has a home office, so we can live anywhere within a 30 min drive from the airport. We'd like a 3br, 2 + ba for $300,000. Any suggestions would be a huge help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 08:18 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrcarlbe View Post
We have a 1yr old daughter and will be moving to Raleigh in the next few months from MN and are not sure where to even start looking. We'd like to find a neighborhood with young families, good schools, interesting restaurant choices (other than the standard Applebees, etc), and paved running trails nearby. We are open to new contruction, or older neighborhoods, just don't want to see 10 other houses from our backyard. My husband has a home office, so we can live anywhere within a 30 min drive from the airport. We'd like a 3br, 2 + ba for $300,000. Any suggestions would be a huge help!!!
I think you described about half the Triangle.
The 3/2 will likely have a bonus room at that price point, too.

if the home backs to open or wooded undeveloped area, but is in a neighborhood of small lots, is that acceptable?

You might like several places in western Cary, West Park, Brookstone, and several others.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:18 AM

54 posts, read 160,939 times
30 Minutes to the airport really opens your options. We live in a development halfway between RDU and GSO. We got a lot for our money, still a 20 minute commute to Durham, and still in Orange County. Talk with a realtor, they will be able to show you everything. Welcome to NC! We moved here from Illinois about 7 months ago.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:57 AM

We are really excited about the move (it is a below zero windchill here in Minneapolis right now).
We'd prefer to have a decent sized lot, we have a dog who needs space to run, and would be nice to have space for play equipment for kids.
I'm not sure what GSO is?

Old 12-15-2008, 08:59 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrcarlbe View Post
We are really excited about the move (it is a below zero windchill here in Minneapolis right now).
We'd prefer to have a decent sized lot, we have a dog who needs space to run, and would be nice to have space for play equipment for kids.
"GSO" is Greensboro. Abbreviation is the Triad Airport Designation.

Again, you should have no problem finding that larger lot in the Raleigh area, up to .5 acre, partially due to your willingness to consider an older home in an existing neighborhood.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 12-15-2008 at 09:08 AM..

Old 12-15-2008, 09:01 AM

2,270 posts, read 9,148,219 times
Welcome to NC!

I'm from here, but I lived in Saint Paul for 10 years. In terms of the Twin Cities, where would you want to live? I'll see if I can draw a parallel here. For example, Cary has the reputation of Edina but the new construction of Woodbury.

GSO is the airport code for Greensboro!

Old 12-15-2008, 08:19 PM

We just sold our house in St. Louis Park (LOVED that area), but with a family like the Minnetonka area (where my husband grew up)....

Old 12-16-2008, 08:24 AM

2,270 posts, read 9,148,219 times
Ah ... sadly there is nowhere with the beautiful lakefront property you can find in Minnetonka. Hmm, those areas are an interesting challenge. There's nothing quite parallel around here.

I think you might want to focus on older construction in order to get the lot size at that price point. I think you do want the lot size rather than a smaller lot backing up to community property, because once you fence for the dog then the community property doesn't help you out. I think you'd like some of the older neighborhoods in North Raleigh, especially the ones that are close the the Crabtree Creek Greenway or the Shelley Lake Greenway. There is a map of the greenway system here: Raleigh Greenways
Search the roads around it.

You might also like the Woodcroft area in Durham, which has its own internal greenway system.

We live in the Springbrooke/Silverton area of Cary because my husband wanted to be able to "run with the dog without getting in the car first." We love the Black Creek Greenway, which connects to the Umstead Park Trail system. However, I still think the lots here are a little small (though we have a fenced yard and a dog) and the restaurant options are limited, though it is easy to drive anywhere from here. Look here and see what you think though, as there is good value for $ and it is definitely a young family area as I can think of three 1 year olds just on my block.

Old 12-16-2008, 03:38 PM

J_Lurk do you think the Apex or Wake Forest area would feel too far away from everything (too much like a Forest Lake or Chanhassen)? Looking on-line it you seem to get more house/yard for the $$...A nice house would be great, but we still want to be able to enjoy the area.
Thanks for the ideas thus far!

Old 12-16-2008, 03:54 PM

228 posts, read 802,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Lurk View Post
You might also like the Woodcroft area in Durham, which has its own internal greenway system.
You would enjoy woodcroft alot I think, it has 6 mi of paved trails. Also note that some properties have the ATT - american tobacco trail - running through it, its either paved or good gravel. It's 2-3 mi from a major shopping center, about a zillion supermarkets in the area surrounding, another 2ish miles from another shopping center, about 20ish minutes to the airport (RDU). The sticker is the lot size, that subdiv doesn't really have many fenced yards. Not to say you couldn't add one, but don't be surprised if you look around and the lots are smaller (.3 acres or so) and with no fences. However there are homes with larger lots. Your realtor could help (I could refer you mine who I think did a great job, send private message).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary