Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 08:57 PM

1,074 posts, read 3,246,884 times

Advertisements

I would recommend Jordan Price if you need HOA attorneys.

That being said, if you PM me the name of the association, I may be able to help you find out more. If you're not incorporated correctly, you will have to pay taxes. The comment about 2/3 majority to change the covenants does not apply, because you're not trying to change your covenants - you're trying to incorporate. Articles, by-laws, and covenants are all separate.

That said, you probably are already incorporated. The developers do that before recording covenants. PM me and I'll see what I can do for free before you have to pay the Jordan Price law firm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 05:42 AM

515 posts, read 1,716,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry884 View Post
I would recommend Jordan Price if you need HOA attorneys.

That being said, if you PM me the name of the association, I may be able to help you find out more. If you're not incorporated correctly, you will have to pay taxes. The comment about 2/3 majority to change the covenants does not apply, because you're not trying to change your covenants - you're trying to incorporate. Articles, by-laws, and covenants are all separate.

That said, you probably are already incorporated. The developers do that before recording covenants. PM me and I'll see what I can do for free before you have to pay the Jordan Price law firm.
You are correct that it does not apply to the Incorproation but they also mentioned changing them to limit the developers power. That would require a change to the covenants since it is spelled out in them.

Old 12-18-2008, 12:43 PM

41 posts, read 107,869 times
The articles of incorporation should already be on file with the clerk of court. You are probably already a non-profit corporation that are exempt from paying taxes. Not sure if you have to file anything though.

Old 12-18-2008, 02:14 PM

25 posts, read 132,093 times
Default HOA question

Thanks!!!!!

Old 12-18-2008, 08:00 PM

1,074 posts, read 3,246,884 times
Default covs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susangkane View Post

Also, we want to change our covenants, which reference rights of the developer. The developer no longer owns any lots and is no longer in the picture. What is the best way to do this? Can I just re-write them, get them approved by the homeowners, and record them with the register of deeds?

Thanks for your help.
The covenants should note a "class A control period" where the developers have rights and a "class b control period" when the homeowners are in control. I would like to see the covenants. If you've already completed transition, you shouldn't need to re-write anything.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:12 AM

25 posts, read 132,093 times
Default HOA question

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry884 View Post
The covenants should note a "class A control period" where the developers have rights and a "class b control period" when the homeowners are in control. I would like to see the covenants. If you've already completed transition, you shouldn't need to re-write anything.
There is no mention of a control period. It does address class A and class B members as far as voting rights and position on the Board of Directors, but nothing about a transition after the developer has sold the lots. There has been no formal transition to my knowledge.

Old 12-19-2008, 01:05 PM

516 posts, read 1,888,424 times
I don't know about HOA's specifically, but Articles of Incorporation are filed with the Secretary of State North Carolina Secretary of State, and many non-profit organizations can be granted non-profit status by both the state and the IRS without incorporating. This appears to be permitted under NC law: North Carolina General Statutes Chapter 59B Uniform Unincorporated Nonprofit Association Act - Legal Research

Maybe some of that info will be helpful...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary