Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 08:26 PM

1 posts, read 4,633 times

Advertisements

Wake Forest Wake Union Shopping Center Denied by town board members. Sounds like we need come new town board members come election time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 08:34 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,265,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Stream View Post
Wake Forest Wake Union Shopping Center Denied by town board members. Sounds like we need come new town board members come election time!
The last thing this economy needs is more retail space devoted to selling imported goods from China, which, at this point in time, can only be financed by further accumulation of debt.

Far better than a shopping center would be a Ford plant to produce the high fuel-efficiency diesel cars that they're selling in Europe, a biodiesel plant, an oil refinery, or a host of other productive enterprises that North Carolina, like the U.S. at large, is seriously lacking.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:52 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,339,124 times
Great decision! Thank-You board! Enough is enough empty retail space. Now the court battles will begin to twist the arms of the board to say YES to growth and YES to their NO vote!

I like growth like the next Developer but Wake Forest has got to much commercial Development going on right now. Let the economy catch up to the commercial space either already built or under construction. I'd rather see a field of trees and grass than a bare almost cleared site like the former Parker-Hanifin site.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:56 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdrive View Post
Great decision! Thank-You board! Enough is enough empty retail space. Now the court battles will begin to twist the arms of the board to say YES to growth and YES to their NO vote!

I like growth like the next Developer but Wake Forest has got to much commercial Development going on right now. Let the economy catch up to the commercial space either already built or under construction. I'd rather see a field of trees and grass than a bare almost cleared site like the former Parker-Hanifin site.

Has anybody heard anything about the site being contaminated??? Notice how one small building is still standing.. it looks weird ... I heard there is some kind of problem with asbestos.. but that doesn't really make sense..

Old 12-19-2008, 09:36 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,339,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvwakeforest View Post
Has anybody heard anything about the site being contaminated??? Notice how one small building is still standing.. it looks weird ... I heard there is some kind of problem with asbestos.. but that doesn't really make sense..

The soil is contaminated with a solvent and it is in the courts. The Parker-Hanifin had money set aside for clean up but apparently it is not nearly enough based on todays clean up costs. So the courts will decide who pays the difference. It something like you cannot get a new car from the junk yard. So it maybe in the courts for some time.

The people from St. Ives should be happy with this decision as they had real concerns about one of the access roads going into their area when they built the empty retail space.

A perfect example is the Caveness Farms Shoppes or lack there of. It is now a big empty field with no building in site except the out parcels.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:42 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,271,582 times
Quote:
I don't have an opinion on this particular project, but I'm curious why you think you need new town board members becasue they denied this project. Do you want town board members who approve every thing that comes in front of them, or do you support this project for a particular reason and feel it was unjustly denied?

Old 12-20-2008, 06:10 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,152,505 times
We don't need this retail when lots of existing retail space is vacant.

More vacancies will soon occur as overexpanded retailers fail.

Why are lenders still financing this stupidity?

Old 12-20-2008, 07:07 AM

1,467 posts, read 5,127,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
We don't need this retail when lots of existing retail space is vacant.

More vacancies will soon occur as overexpanded retailers fail.

Why are lenders still financing this stupidity?
Mostly financing is coming from prior commitments, which are legally binding. It takes sometime for the financing to cease if the company is still in compliance with covenants and other preset hurdles. I seriously doubt there is a lot of new money originations occuring.

Old 12-20-2008, 12:24 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,152,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJingle View Post
Mostly financing is coming from prior commitments, which are legally binding. It takes sometime for the financing to cease if the company is still in compliance with covenants and other preset hurdles. I seriously doubt there is a lot of new money originations occuring.
A good explanation. Thanks.

Old 12-20-2008, 01:09 PM

316 posts, read 1,006,085 times
Quote:
No, it sounds like our current ones are doing their job. I had mixed feelings about the whole project, there are some good things going for it, but in the end there really are too many unknowns and negatives.

It's not like development has stopped in the entire area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary