Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 07:06 PM

316 posts, read 1,003,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
I lived in the cold for 25 years, came down here to get away from it. 55 is hot to me, but 20 reminds me of "home." Must be that darn Global Warming again.
This is well within 'normal' for NC...did you really think it never gets cold down here? If so....well, then you didn't do the right sort of research.
'
Also, I would read up on the science of Global Warming.....there is nothing that does not allow for cold temperatures, even unseasonably cold (which this isn't) temperatures, in the short term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 07:11 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,382,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeisnotmyname View Post
Also, I would read up on the science of Global Warming.....there is nothing that does not allow for cold temperatures, even unseasonably cold (which this isn't) temperatures, in the short term.
Global cooling allows for warmer temperatures at times.
Ah yes, I remember the 1970's when global cooling was all the rage. Now it's global warming. Ya gotta love these crazy fads.

Old 12-23-2008, 07:32 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,706,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
I don't think anyone moves here from the North to escape freezing temperatures all together.
See the first post and many other posts from northerners.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:18 PM

17,591 posts, read 15,308,255 times
I don't mind the colder temps...a very nice change and 95 degrees w/80 humidity is unbearable. 65 degrees though is perfect, IMHO. So for approximately 10 days of the year here in NC I'm a happy camper!

Old 12-23-2008, 10:41 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,908,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
yes...the AVERAGE for the whole month, is 40...meaning most likely since March is a transitional weather month; the first half would typically have low temperatures below 40 degrees (which would be in the 30s and what I would consider close enough to freezing to be "cold" in the morning) and the second half of March would see lows ABOVE 40 degrees. I said it is still cold in the morning until Mid March...I'm still not seeing where you are proving me wrong. I really don't care though because it is a ridiculous thing to argue about. The weather is what it is...I don't try to make it seem like Raleigh is a frozen tundra for 6 months out of the year or anything like that; just saying that the temperature DOES get below freezing every winter, and that snow USUALLY falls most winters. I.E...If a person from a colder area thinks they are "escaping" freezing temperatures for good by moving to NC they would be incorrect.
Average LOW is the key term! Not Average overall. sure it might be 40 at night and early morning and warms up into the upper 60s and 70s during the day. First time I visted the Triangle it was 24 degrees at 6 am and by noon it was 71.

Looks like it will be 68 degrees on Christmas.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:48 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,908,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by he's so hott View Post
See the first post and many other posts from northerners.
Here comes the stereotyping yet again......If you call the winter you have in NC, a real winter, then come help pick me up off the floor because I just fell over laughing.

A few days in the 20s followed by a week of 60-70s? Sorry that is not winter. My OP simply eluded to the chilly nip in the air. Yes, a little to my surprise, but as someone who has lived many a year along the great lakes artic, and pacific Northwest, this comparison is hillarious.

I'll be playing a round of Golf, in my shorts on Christmas day......now, tell me again how tough and brutal your winters are again?

Old 12-24-2008, 06:30 AM

535 posts, read 1,736,132 times
It's winter when I wear pants and a windbreaker. It was in the teens the other morning, that's winter. Today it's to be near 60, that's not. We have these flukes everywhere. Wait until it gets colder n snot out.

Old 12-24-2008, 06:47 AM

2,392 posts, read 5,706,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
Here comes the stereotyping yet again......If you call the winter you have in NC, a real winter, then come help pick me up off the floor because I just fell over laughing.

A few days in the 20s followed by a week of 60-70s? Sorry that is not winter. My OP simply eluded to the chilly nip in the air. Yes, a little to my surprise, but as someone who has lived many a year along the great lakes artic, and pacific Northwest, this comparison is hillarious.

I'll be playing a round of Golf, in my shorts on Christmas day......now, tell me again how tough and brutal your winters are again?
I've only lived in NC for 2 years so to me the winters are what I thought they would be. For you NC winters are mild, but I'm from FLA and lived in Arizona and a week of 60s or low 70s for highs during the winter in NC is ok and is expected, but its still cold to me for the majority of winter. Just like a week of highs in the upper 40s or low 50s can be expected in AZ and parts of FL, but the rest of the winter is really nice.

Enjoy your time at the golf course. Its nice to get a break from the normal winter temps. I know I'll be enjoying the 80 degree temps down here in FL for my Christmas break stay down here by hitting up the beach. Right now it is 60s degrees where I'm at in FL and I'm cold so I prolly won't break out the shorts and flip flops until later today.

Cheers

Old 12-24-2008, 10:46 AM

17,591 posts, read 15,308,255 times
60!

Purrrrrfectly acceptable!

Old 12-25-2008, 07:51 AM

3 posts, read 4,336 times
Enjoy the 20 degrees. It's minus 2 here in Iowa. Looking forward to moving to NC in the fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary