U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 02:57 PM

19 posts, read 60,238 times

Advertisements

I recently lost a parent. I was named executor of the will. Part of the "estate" includes a home. I have been bombarded with letters - actually some of them look like flyers - from local real estate agents offering their condolences and their services.
These vultures only offer a post office box as a return address but they are sending mail to my home! They must be accessing legal records and / or obituaries to find new clients. What a way to make a living. Can you at least provide me a chance to grieve?
Fortunately I know great, ethical real estate agents in the area, thank you. I would never select a real estate agent who would use such tactics to find clients.
Has anyone else experienced this? How are they finding my unlisted address?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 03:07 PM

9,680 posts, read 25,989,206 times
Probably from court filings on probate or from death filings.

I got those from lawyers and chiropractors after being hit by a car running a light.

I made it a practice to call each advertiser and tell them I would never use their services since they seem to need to do ambulance chasing to get clients.

Might try it.

Old 12-23-2008, 03:07 PM

531 posts, read 1,899,271 times
I have experienced this as well, except it was when my uncle had died and I was temporarily housesitting his house. One afternoon a realtor walked right up the driveway, while I was sitting on the side stoop, and asked if "we had thought of selling yet"! Yet?! Yet??!! I wanted to hand her a tissue to catch the drool....

Old 12-23-2008, 03:14 PM

535 posts, read 1,659,870 times
That's worthy of a beating. I'd never even consider using anyone who advertised like that. "Sorry to hear about your mom! Hey, speaking of, she won't be needing that house now, will she?" Morons.

Old 12-23-2008, 03:46 PM

40,326 posts, read 69,775,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfordpair View Post
I recently lost a parent. I was named executor of the will. Part of the "estate" includes a home. I have been bombarded with letters - actually some of them look like flyers - from local real estate agents offering their condolences and their services.
These vultures only offer a post office box as a return address but they are sending mail to my home! They must be accessing legal records and / or obituaries to find new clients. What a way to make a living. Can you at least provide me a chance to grieve?
Fortunately I know great, ethical real estate agents in the area, thank you. I would never select a real estate agent who would use such tactics to find clients.
Please accept my sincere condolences for your loss. Many of us on C-D have been where you are and recognize how difficult a time it is.

Please also accept my sincere apology for the callous behavior of those "people."

Old 12-23-2008, 03:49 PM

9,680 posts, read 25,989,206 times
Thanks, Mike, for stepping up to the plate on this.

Merry Christmas.

Old 12-23-2008, 03:50 PM

40,326 posts, read 69,775,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Thanks, Mike, for stepping up to the plate on this.

Merry Christmas.
Merry Christmas, saturnfan!

Old 12-23-2008, 04:01 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,609,469 times
"Stepping up to the plate"???? I understand the expression, just not how it applies.

In any event, stuff like this happens a lot. (I was recently executor to my grandmother's estate.) Just ignore it. It's junk mail, like any other. Buy a new house and get a new mortgage, and suddenly you get inundated with fliers from companies offering to refinance. Get a traffic ticket, from lawyers offering to help you reduce it. And so on. No big deal. Don't bother calling them, unless you think it'll make you feel better.

Old 12-23-2008, 04:09 PM

2,034 posts, read 4,190,312 times
It reminds me of a Two and a Half Men episode where the mother goes through the obituaries to find her next client. It seemed funny in a comedy show, but sick in real life. I can't believe anyone would actually do this. I am sorry for your loss and the pain these people are causing you.

Old 12-23-2008, 04:12 PM

12,475 posts, read 30,726,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfordpair View Post
I am very sorry for your loss. This is a difficult time of year to lose anyone close to you so hang in there.

Years ago, when I was a new Agent, we had a class that was designed to give us ideas on how and where to get new clients.

I remember the instructor telling us to go through the obituaries (which I thought was totally gruesome). I also remember him telling us to go through the wedding announcements. His "plan" was for new agents to offer help and service, as a real estate agent, to those that would need these services. I just couldn't do it.

In that same office, we also had a "cold calling night". Our broker in charge would order in pizza and we'd make calls. We could just pull names out of the phone book or call those in a neighborhood that we liked or lived in. At the time, being new and very young, I thought it was a great idea! I thought it was much better than calling those from the obituaries! I remember my 3rd call. The woman answered the phone, obviously crying, and when I offered my services to her, she screamed at me that she had just lost her mother and how dare I call to bother her. That was my LAST "cold call".

So, I understand how annoyed you must be and rightfully so. I hate when I get any type of sales calls on the phone or knocks at my door, so I don't do those things. I know some of the new agents do and I know some of them have had good responses from that. Some people appreciate having that right person at the right time. I do not.

I'm not trying to say that you should not be annoyed at these "intrustions" but I want you to understand why it happened.

No, it isn't nice to shoot "them". "They" are people too!!!

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>