Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 02:51 PM

675 posts, read 1,832,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
When a thunderstorm rolls on by, you are welcome to come over to my house and watch the game on my awesome TWC HD service. I will charge you a fee, though.
I swear to god this is true, within seconds of reading your post, my TW cable froze up so I am now listening to audio of the Travel Channel HD while staring at a frozen pixelated picture, going on 3-4 minutes now. Like I said, I'm willing to try getting screwed by a different company for a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2008, 03:01 PM

43,249 posts, read 77,010,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyO View Post
I swear to god this is true, within seconds of reading your post, my TW cable froze up so I am now listening to audio of the Travel Channel HD while staring at a frozen pixelated picture, going on 3-4 minutes now. Like I said, I'm willing to try getting screwed by a different company for a while.
Wow.
I can understand your frustration.
If that is common, you definitely owe it to yourself to try something different.

Thank goodness, we just have not had those experiences, in 3 houses, 11 1/2 years.
Wife is watching The Mentalist on DVR right now.
All is calm. All is bright.

Old 12-24-2008, 05:50 PM

578 posts, read 3,080,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pparks76 View Post
You can get HD over the air but unless you have a TWC HD box you wont get HD through TWC ... the upgraded HD box is free and you get the basic HD channels (they might give you all avaible HD for free for a month to get you hooked then charge you)
Not sure if this is stated or not but you actually CAN get TWC HD without any boxes, at least for the locals and PBS. All I have is Road Runner for internet and I get basic cable including the local HD for free via my TV QAM tuner.

I believe you can subscribe to their cheapest basic cable service and do the same. You just need a QAM tuner to receive the unencrypted HD channels.

Basically it's like getting HD via antenna but via the TW cable instead.

Old 12-24-2008, 05:50 PM

26 posts, read 144,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_newcomer View Post
QUESTION: If I have TWC cable basic service (NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX, PBS, CW and a few others) and I own an HDTV, when NBC broadcasts a show in HighDefinition, will I receive the HD signal and hence have a better picture, or will TWC dumb it down to be the quality-equivalent of an analog signal?

I can't get a straight answer on this from TWC-- instead they keep urging me to upgrade several levels, which I don't intend to do. The kids at BestBuy can't comprehend someone who only has basic cable service!
Yes, you will receive the HD broadcasts of all those channels you mentioned above in HD (and analog) also. I have the std pkg (next upgrade to the basic pkg) and get those channels in both analog and HD. Watching sports or live programming makes a huge difference in HD. Usually the HD channels have a <hypen>1 appended to it. For ex, if NBC analog is 17, NBC HD would be 17-1. That's how I see it on my TV.

I suspect TWC is not giving out that info so that they can make you switch to more expensive programming.

Tom

Old 12-24-2008, 07:46 PM

446 posts, read 1,393,755 times
TWC stinks....Merry Christmas.

Old 12-24-2008, 07:51 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,732,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbis View Post
That's the Christmas spirit!!

Old 12-24-2008, 08:00 PM

484 posts, read 1,366,492 times
Default Twc

I had no idea the prices were increasing. Maybe it said in the last bill and I just did not pay attention. It seems an odd time for them to increase prices to me, with U-Verse coming around, I would thing TWC would lower their price to try to keep their customers from changing over to U-Verse (in the avail areas.)

Old 12-24-2008, 08:04 PM

1,967 posts, read 953,185 times
Quote:
Yes they do, without a doubt.
Happy Christmas (war is over). I was watching I Am Legend the other night on HBO and the darn t.v. froze up on me not once, but twice!!! AAAARRRRGGG. I am about to call up on Friday to see if I can get another free month out of them by raining unholy hell down on them!

Old 12-24-2008, 08:38 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,393,859 times
Quote:

Satellite & AT&T Stink......Bah Humbug!

Old 12-24-2008, 08:56 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,693,171 times
TWC is a horrible company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary