Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 05:23 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,697,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelark View Post
Its a perfectly reasonable thing to say. Either people posting on this forum refuse to go outside and engage with anyone or they are so blindly ignorant themselves that they don't view the hateful opinions they will hear from Cary residents on a daily basis as anything out of the ordinary. I work Mon to Friday in Cary, 8 hours a day and am constantly shocked at the attitudes mocking peoples accents, liberal use of the N word and stereotypes of African Americans, although they are not alone, I have heard Chinese, Indians, Hispanics, native Africans, insulted on numerous occasions during December alone. Both by North Carolina natives and very often by people who have relocated to Cary. This makes me wonder what makes people with such views choose Cary over all other surrounding towns and it is that the area is no where near as diverse as the rest of the triangle.
So get your knickers in a twist if needs be, but its a learned opinion.
If you're being honest (which I highly doubt) then my guess is it has more to do with your profession than where you are employed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 06:32 AM

584 posts, read 2,423,574 times
wow, I should have never revived this thread with my "they don't celebrate in Africa" comment. Sorry.

Old 12-31-2008, 07:18 AM
.-.

157 posts, read 370,983 times
Default Reassignement plan

Just some questions. If diversity really exists, then why the need for this school reassignment plan I'm always hearing about?
Since it is being pushed, I'll just go with that it's deemed needed. Then if diversity is really important to the folks of towns like Cary then why so much opposition?

Old 12-31-2008, 07:24 AM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .-. View Post
Just some questions. If diversity really exists, then why the need for this school reassignment plan I'm always hearing about?
Since it is being pushed, I'll just go with that it's deemed needed. Then if diversity is really important to the folks of towns like Cary then why so much opposition?
Prince,
Diversity exists in towns and cities across many miles of municipality, but not necessarily in institutions.

Acceptance of diversity is not monolithic. Anywhere.
There is no such thing as 100% agreement on any issue.

Old 12-31-2008, 07:29 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,697,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .-. View Post
The purpose of the school reassignments (not talking about the ones used to fill new schools) is to take enough students out of poorly performing schools and spread them around better performing schools so it appears that no school is "failing". Thank you No Child Left Behind.

Some parents oppose reassignment because they want stability for their children and see unnecessary shuffling as being destabilizing and because they want their children to attend a school close to their home.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:09 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,638,324 times
Exactly sls76. I do not have children (nor want any) so I have no dog in the school reassignment issue-- but I have many friends who do have kids.

I want to say my manager who lives in a nice neighborhood in Wake Forrest had a child who was reassigned to another school that was out of the neighborhood (there is a school almost literally in her backyard). Her other two kids were able to go to the same school so she was able to get her child moved back--

In her opinion, why should her kids not be able to go to the school that is literally in their backyard- which was a selling point of her community-- versus shipping them to a school 20 min away?

I can understand that-- I remember as a kid walking or riding my bicycle to elementary school (with my grandfather following behind me in his truck *lol*).

Old 12-31-2008, 11:03 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,212,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grawburg View Post
How is this a little bit of Africa when they don't celebrate Kwanzaa in Africa?
Are you seriously looking for logic when it comes to the whole "race thing" in America? What planet did you just zap in from?

I'm more of a Festivus guy myself.

Old 12-31-2008, 03:06 PM

945 posts, read 1,972,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKR27540 View Post
Thanks for posting the article, ExitMA Last time I checked this was still the Raleigh,Durham,Chapel Hill-Cary forum. It makes sense to post something of this nature here. Although it's possible some posters may prefer a more negative approach to topics, I'd personally rather hear and read something upbeat and positive. Not being a resident of Cary, I'm not too familiar with the people who live there although I do frequent shopping in the area. During the holidays, we attended an Open House Party a friend had who recently moved into a beautiful home in a neighborhood near High House Road and Cary Parkway. She introduced us to all her neighbors as they came in and it was nice to see such a diverse group of people. All races, ethnic backgrounds & ages mixed together easily and pleasantly so I'm not sure where some posters get the idea that Cary isn't diverse. In fact, my son, who is 17 remarked about the fact on the way home because of a little problem we had with neighbors when selling our home. He was happy to see the diversity here in NC and so am I. Mine in Holly Springs is equally diverse and very comfortable.

Thank you AKR27540. I really do appreciate the positive response. I do not know what the latest census report will look like, but I have to believe there is even more diversity in Cary than before. I see a lot of it everywhere I go and the neighborhood behind me is almost 100% from India. We all get along splendidly and I think it is great.

Holly Springs is also a wonderful town. You should feel very fortunate.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:14 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,212,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit MA Now View Post
the neighborhood behind me is almost 100% from India.
Sounds terribly un-diverse. I thought "diverse" meant "many diff types."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary