Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 05:25 PM

945 posts, read 1,972,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
Wow, you would take that ****ty 32" Sony lcd over a much larger 50" 720p Panny plasma? Interesting..

I am not sure if you are reading what I am posting or not. You stated there was no such thing as 32" 1080p televisions. You were wrong and I gave just one example of one. Then I agreed with you that plasmas are better than LCD and now you saying I want an LCD TV.

Nevermind. It is pointless.

Commenting on a previous posters comments regarding HH Gregg. I have noticed they pounce on you when you walk into the store. I do not care for that either.

Old 12-31-2008, 09:03 PM

119 posts, read 354,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit MA Now View Post
You stated there was no such thing as 32" 1080p televisions.
Who cares if there is? You're not going to be able to see a difference at that distance unless you have your computer hooked up and you're sitting a foot away. It would be completely insane to buy a 32" 1080p lcd when you could get a MUCH larger screen for the same price. lcd is garbage for watching tv as far as I'm concerned.

Anyways, happy new year!

Old 01-01-2009, 07:27 AM

945 posts, read 1,972,214 times
Quote:
Who cares if there is?
It's a credibility issue. When someone posts like they are an expert and states there is no such thing as a 32" 1080p TV, yet it turns out there are a lot of them......well, how much of everything else that was posted could also be wrong?

Quote:
You're not going to be able to see a difference at that distance unless you have your computer hooked up and you're sitting a foot away.
When it comes to audio/video equipment, everyone sees or hears things differently. What one person can see at a certain distance can be different than someone else. So it can make a difference for many people. I am extremely particular on this and can see things that my family members can't.

Quote:
It would be completely insane to buy a 32" 1080p lcd when you could get a MUCH larger screen for the same price. lcd is garbage for watching tv as far as I'm concerned.
As I keep stating, I AGREE WITH YOU that most plasma's are better quality that LCD. I posted one LCD TV at random, just to point out that there are 32" 1080p's out there, as it was stated that there were none. One also has to remember that someone may not always want a bigger screen. They may be using the TV in different applications, such as with a computer, in the bedroom, in the garage, in the master bath or just in a small room.

Quote:
Anyways, happy new year!
Happy New Year to you too.

Last edited by Exit MA Now; 01-01-2009 at 08:05 AM..

Old 01-01-2009, 08:34 AM

675 posts, read 1,833,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneezecake View Post
No amount of online research can replace looking at the set on display in a store.
I have to second that. Unless I'm buying a big-ticket item where "feel" is important (like a musical instrument), about all I use the b&m stores for is research.

Old 01-01-2009, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneezecake View Post
Which one?

And, do you know the Amazon gold box trick?
LN46A650. I can recite it in my sleep, like Hurley on Lost with his lotto numbers.

I do know the trick. I've set it up and am keeping an eye for it to show up... But I'm not really itching to buy quite yet, since I want to wait until we're in the new house. No sense getting it in and set up only to have to pack it up again in 6 weeks.

The amazon white glove delivery service sounds pretty sweet, too.

Old 01-01-2009, 08:41 AM

Quote:
There are no 1080p 32" tvs. it is not needed as the pixels are already packed tight enough. 1080p does not always mean its better. I would take a 50" 720p plasma over a budget 1080p 42" lcd for the same price any day of the week. 1080i and 1080p are not the same. 1080i is more in line with 720p as far as performance goes. You will only be able to see the difference between 720p and 1080p if you sit really close to the tv.

Ironically, this is the kind of bad advice you are likely to get at a Best Buy.
I was going to say exactly this, but Tony took care of it quite nicely.

My in-laws have one of the 32-inch 720p Samsungs, and it looks absolutely fantastic. We were watching a travel channel special on steak restaurants on Xmas eve. Nothing gets the stomach rumbling like a close-up of a good steak in hi def! Now if only they can master transmitting odors...

Old 01-01-2009, 09:35 AM

119 posts, read 354,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit MA Now View Post
It's a credibility issue. When someone posts like they are an expert and states there is no such thing as a 32" 1080p TV, yet it turns out there are a lot of them......well, how much of everything else that was posted could also be wrong?

Don't discount my credibility just because I didn't know they were making 32" 1080p lcds now. I looked online and it seems like they have just been doing this recently. I'll admit I'm more of a plasma guy but just because I didn't know that one fact about lcds doesn't mean I don't know anything. I spend a lot of time reading on the AVS Forums and I've had about 7 different HDTVs in the past few years, both lcd and plasma and 720p/1080p. Everything else I posted was fact, and if you don't understand you need to go do some research yourself.

When it comes to audio/video equipment, everyone sees or hears things differently. What one person can see at a certain distance can be different than someone else. So it can make a difference for many people. I am extremely particular on this and can see things that my family members can't.

So can I, but hell my mom can't tell the difference between my 50" 720p plasma and my 1080p one. Text is a lot sharper and you don't have that jagged look on some of the menus/graphics as you do with the 720p version. If you are just watching a football game on ESPN 720p and you are more than 10' away it is not going to be such as slam dunk to see the difference as you say. The fact is that the human eye can only see so much detail at a given distance. You are not going to be able to see the difference of a 720p and 1080p set at 25'. It's just not possible. The whole point of 1080p is that you can sit closer to the tv and see more detail and have a clearer picture. If Joe Smith is buying a 50" tv for their living room, but they live in a McMansion and their couch is way back, there is no reason to get 1080p, they simply won't be able to see the resolution difference.

As I keep stating, I AGREE WITH YOU that most plasma's are better quality that LCD. I posted one LCD TV at random, just to point out that there are 32" 1080p's out there, as it was stated that there were none. One also has to remember that someone may not always want a bigger screen. They may be using the TV in different applications, such as with a computer, in the bedroom, in the garage, in the master bath or just in a small room.

Yup, besides some of the new Samsung LED lcds that are coming out not much can hold a candle to plamsa, even the cheaper ones. I've got to say that if you are using a 32" 1080p tv in the bedroom or garage from more than 3' away that money would be well spent elsewhere. I could never go back to that size after having a 42" and 50". My next step up is going to be a 58"/60" but those are still kinda pricey. Panasonic and Pioneer and supposed to have some new plasmas coming out next year that have better black levels (extreme contrast), and are lighter/thinner (NEO plasma).

Happy New Year to you too.

Comments in bold.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:51 AM

1,364 posts, read 6,022,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyO View Post
LN46A650. I can recite it in my sleep, like Hurley on Lost with his lotto numbers.

I do know the trick. I've set it up and am keeping an eye for it to show up... But I'm not really itching to buy quite yet, since I want to wait until we're in the new house. No sense getting it in and set up only to have to pack it up again in 6 weeks.

The amazon white glove delivery service sounds pretty sweet, too.
I like that TV, except in my application (great room, huge windows) it's not the best choice due to the gloss screen. I had decided on the 630, but my wife didn't like the "Touch of Color" so I think we'll probably stick with a 60hz set...we're not doing a blu-ray in this room anyhow (550 or maybe even go bare bones with the 500)

Old 01-01-2009, 11:24 AM

Yeah, the gloss screen could be somewhat irritating with the windows we'll have in the room, but we plan on having good dark blinds, probably those "no holes" blinds. The matte finish would help, but ultimately I prefer the picture quality on a gloss screen.

Old 01-01-2009, 11:47 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
We went with a gloss screen, and no regrets.
We have a lot of windows in the family room, but with leaves on the trees, we have heavy shade all afternoon.
We mostly watch TV in evenings anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary