Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 01:48 PM

6 posts, read 16,961 times

Advertisements

I am planning to move to North Carolina from a moderatly small town in Texas called Sulphur Springs.

One of the things drawing us to the Carrboro/Chapel Hill is how gay friendly it is, and how kid friendly it is. Where we live is primarily of a conservative/republican populations and our right aren't valued, nor is our family.

There are some things I am needing a little guidance with. I contacted a gay realtor today who is working on finding some options for us (I didn't even know something would come up when you put in "gay realtor"...I am somewhat sheltered I guess). I am looking for a rental house or a rent-to-own/lease option house, preferrably not over $775, which is becoming really hard to find. I have found several but they were all taken already.

Also, we are looking for a good school for my four year old....he is in headstart...I feel bad taking him out of school in the middle of the year so I hope the schools are as great as here.

Next, I need a child and family therapist. One of our sons has some emotional problems. He understand entirely too much about people, emotions and such for his age and gets somewhat overwhelmed by all of the things he is processing. So, it needs to be someone understanding...somewhat nuturing...

Okay, a lot of things for one thread...

My partner and I are in the Apartment Management business, it would be ideal for us to work for the same company as we do now but it isnt a must. I do leasing and she is a manager. If there are any agency to go through for that kind of work, I havent been able to find any.

Oh and daycares....we need a good daycare, that will acknowledge that our sons have two mothers but not be weird about it. One that wont sit them in front of a television all day and that has a actual program for toddlers other then just coloring. i want a learning center.

And I was wondering.....how often do you guys actually use your air conditioners....here our air conditioning runs our bill through the roof... I have noticed most of the homes I looked for have window units so I wasnt sure.

Anyways, any advice would be most appreciated!

Thanks,
Jamie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 03:07 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
Wow...that is a content rich post that is going to be hard to satisfy for your budget in Chapel Hill/Carrboro. I wish you luck in your move to wherever life takes your family. I don't know much about CH/C'boro and I don't have kids, so I can only give you a big welcome and a wish of good luck.

Old 01-01-2009, 11:11 AM

1 posts, read 3,399 times
Hi - I used to live in dallas so I know sulphur springs. I think you will find NC to be more gay friendly than your area but not much. My partner and I are moving out of the Charlotte Area as we feel it is not culturally diverse enough for us and lacks any kind of a gay support system.

We are expecting and it scares the hell out of me to live here. The area you are moving to is BETTER. There are a ton of gay programs and lawyers so Im thinking there will be better things there for you than back in texas. The only thing is the state itself is NOT gay friendly and the laws here to protect gays ( 2nd parent adoption ect ) Do not seem to be existent. I wish it were better because I love the area, the mountains and stuff. I just need to feel that my family will be safe and right now im in a small area south of the nc/sc border. This place stinks but if charlotte were a little more gay friendly I would probably stay.

Good luck and take care, d

Old 01-01-2009, 11:19 AM

675 posts, read 1,833,461 times
I would also look into Durham... Many properties to be managed here, and a pretty vibrant community in a lot of ways.

Old 01-01-2009, 01:04 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EqualRightsForAll View Post
Hi - I used to live in dallas so I know sulphur springs. I think you will find NC to be more gay friendly than your area but not much. My partner and I are moving out of the Charlotte Area as we feel it is not culturally diverse enough for us and lacks any kind of a gay support system.

We are expecting and it scares the hell out of me to live here. The area you are moving to is BETTER. There are a ton of gay programs and lawyers so Im thinking there will be better things there for you than back in texas. The only thing is the state itself is NOT gay friendly and the laws here to protect gays ( 2nd parent adoption ect ) Do not seem to be existent. I wish it were better because I love the area, the mountains and stuff. I just need to feel that my family will be safe and right now im in a small area south of the nc/sc border. This place stinks but if charlotte were a little more gay friendly I would probably stay.

Good luck and take care, d
If I am reading this correctly, you live in SC, not NC.

Old 01-02-2009, 03:45 AM

1 posts, read 3,320 times
I'd look in Asheville for what you are interested in. Too expensive in the Chapel Hill area, Durham is full of crime, and YES we use A/C in the spring/summer/fall daily. Good luck!

Old 01-02-2009, 07:14 AM

40 posts, read 86,676 times
At that price limit, I don't know where you could go and be in a safe area.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:14 AM

1,877 posts, read 5,344,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalovr View Post
I'd look in Asheville for what you are interested in. Too expensive in the Chapel Hill area, Durham is full of crime, and YES we use A/C in the spring/summer/fall daily. Good luck!
Most of Durham is safe. There are some areas that have more crime than others, but you have no reason to be in those areas and they are easily avoidable. Durham has more rental opportunities and cheaper compared to Chapel Hill. Yet you are still close to Chapel Hill to enjoy it.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:24 PM

So, I am seeing that my expectations for rental is way too low. Which is what I was expecting....I am just not sure what kind of budget to set for my self. I have not found an accurate estimation of what the salary of an apartment manager should be up there or how any salary compares to here.

Does anyone know what a good rate is for a two bedroom?

Also, does anyone know what an apartment manager, assistant manager, or a leasing agent would make there?

Ex:
Assistant manager: $9/hr

Flipping Burgers: $6/hr

Hotel Clerk: $6.50-$7.00

Office Assistant: $7.50

Thats about what everything is here.

I am terrified of taking my kids to the wrong area. Sulphur Springs is a pretty safe area. To the early post, it is nothing like Dallas. We might as well live in a nother country. It is very country. We have two statues of dairy cows that are as tall as our apartment complex, ALOT of looks (which I am sure happens everywhere, I am not planning to move to a fairytale world)... I dont always feel safe going out at night with my partner.

I am getting back a lot with taxes and that is what we are using to move. I am setting $3000 to the side for just rent so we can pay up. So I am not worried about the first few months but I am worried our wages will be too minimal and we wont be able to make ends meet once rent comes around again.

Thanks

Old 01-02-2009, 07:39 PM

Also we live in the second nices complex in town and our rent in $525, just to show the comparison. And people look at me crazy for even paying that much.

It has a washer and dryer in it is as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary