Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 05:32 PM
.-. .-. started this thread

157 posts, read 371,023 times

Advertisements

Month ago if I hadn't been listening to the news I would have thought things weren't too bad on an outward note here locally. Today looking for some items I passed by quite a few malls in Cary, Apex and Morrisville. Wow the number of shops shuttered and signs of foreclosures really gave me the willies.

I was thinking what will it be a few months from now? Soup lines?

Old 01-17-2009, 05:38 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,437,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .-. View Post
Month ago if I hadn't been listening to the news I would have thought things weren't too bad on an outward note here locally. Today looking for some items I passed by quite a few malls in Cary, Apex and Morrisville. Wow the number of shops shuttered and signs of foreclosures really gave me the willies.

I think a lot of people are cutting back on discretionary expenses.
Needs vs. wants.
Things like : mortgage, utilities, health insurance, auto insurance, etc. must be paid first..... and Uncle Sam's (and Bev Perdue's) cut just keeping getting larger and larger...
Wake County taxes are up along with everything else.. I could go on and on.

Old 01-17-2009, 05:44 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
Too much retail expansion created a glut of stores.

The weak will fail.

Old 01-17-2009, 05:57 PM

542 posts, read 1,524,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvwakeforest View Post
Needs vs. wants.
Things like : mortgage, utilities, health insurance, auto insurance, etc. must be paid first..... and Uncle Sam's (and Bev Perdue's) cut just keeping getting larger and larger...
What specific taxes has Bev Perdue raised so far?

Mike

Old 01-17-2009, 06:00 PM
.-. .-. started this thread

157 posts, read 371,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvwakeforest View Post
Needs vs. wants.
I can see how it can have a domino type affect of the consumer psyche. The feeling left me walking through the stores glimpsing at the non-necessities with a thought from with in saying "don't even think about it"

Old 01-17-2009, 06:03 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .-. View Post

Things look grim, but you shouldn't joke, we are a LONG WAYS away from events of the Great Depression - when unemployment was 25%. Nationally unemployment is still just 6.5%.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:37 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,921,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Things look grim, but you shouldn't joke, we are a LONG WAYS away from events of the Great Depression - when unemployment was 25%. Nationally unemployment is still just 6.5%.
Not true.

1. We had the single largest quarter of layoffs in American history last QT.

2. ALL experts agree, the worst has yet to hit, but will through summer. 3 million more expected to loose their jobs between now and Summer!

3. Official unemployment is 7.3% with another 5% under-employeed and rising by the second.

4. The unemployment numbers will spike to 10-12% by years end.

What happens from there is anyone's guess. My prediction is that things will start to turn back to the better from there. 2009, will be scary, ugly, hideous. And under Obama's plan, it will work to fix things, only it is all being done on credit and may not and probably will not last.

The plan? The exact same thing if you or I went out and opened up a retail biz with a no-limit credit card. It will work for a while, but eventually we need to make $.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:50 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
Not true.

1. We had the single largest quarter of layoffs in American history last QT.

2. ALL experts agree, the worst has yet to hit, but will through summer. 3 million more expected to loose their jobs between now and Summer!

3. Official unemployment is 7.3% with another 5% under-employeed and rising by the second.

4. The unemployment numbers will spike to 10-12% by years end.

What happens from there is anyone's guess. My prediction is that things will start to turn back to the better from there. 2009, will be scary, ugly, hideous. And under Obama's plan, it will work to fix things, only it is all being done on credit and may not and probably will not last.

The plan? The exact same thing if you or I went out and opened up a retail biz with a no-limit credit card. It will work for a while, but eventually we need to make $.
And still, we are nowhere close to the numbers of the Great Depression - but go ahead and brood about it if being miserable makes you so happy.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:08 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,592,671 times
The current economic downturn is probably the worst SINCE the great depression; that is what most of the pundits say/predict. But it will be nowhere near as extreme as the depression. It will be worse than the recessions that everyone but the oldest generations of America can remember; but we have a much larger government now that while may be a bad thing in many ways; does make it harder for our economy to freefall in the manner it did in the 1930's.

This will probably end up being worse than the mid 70's recession (i was just a kid back then but can remember the general negative economic atmosphere), the 80's recession, the early 90's recession, and the 2001 recession; much worse. But it will not be "the great depression II".

Old 01-17-2009, 11:14 PM

745 posts, read 2,209,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
The current economic downturn is probably the worst SINCE the great depression; that is what most of the pundits say/predict. But it will be nowhere near as extreme as the depression. It will be worse than the recessions that everyone but the oldest generations of America can remember; but we have a much larger government now that while may be a bad thing in many ways; does make it harder for our economy to freefall in the manner it did in the 1930's.

This will probably end up being worse than the mid 70's recession (i was just a kid back then but can remember the general negative economic atmosphere), the 80's recession, the early 90's recession, and the 2001 recession; much worse. But it will not be "the great depression II".
I would tend to agree with most of this assessment. Because today there are so many government jobs, the economy won't tank all at once as it did to cause the Great Depression. The only thing that I worry about is the huge amount of money that we're borrowing to throw at it right now ... and how that might effect us if things don't turn around soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary