Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 06:09 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
I'll try to make it to this one. Lemme know if anyone wants to carpool from Cary!
Great idea lamishra. Looking forward to seeing you there!

Old 01-06-2009, 06:31 AM

1,540 posts, read 5,563,693 times
Look forward to it and marking my calendar now. :-)

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Folks.... based on the feedback I would say we will be having this meetup on Sunday February 8th. Exact time and location yet to be determined. I will check out a few places this week, but it will definitely be inside the beltline in Raleigh and definitely on February 8th so mark it down on the old calendar!

Old 01-06-2009, 08:58 AM

836 posts, read 3,470,171 times
I agree that downtown or ITB is good as it is central to most people.

I vote the Pit. Has lots of big tables, in the bar or restaurant. Has reasonably priced food and high-end dishes to make everyone happy. Has valet parking, if anyone has trouble finding a space on the street. A good way to introduce the newcomers to REAL NC BBQ! You could likely get to meet Ed Mitchell, who is an NC BBQ legend.

Please, not 42nd street. I used to love that place, heck I was there the night it opened (yes, I have been here that long) but the last couple times I went the food was inedible!

Old 01-06-2009, 09:07 AM

746 posts, read 2,247,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NH2NCMom View Post
how about a compromise and at least a "smoking area" - I wouldn't exclude any non-smokers, so how about not excluding any smokers as well - we do pay the taxes LOL.
I can't be around it - triggers my asthma, and I'm in 3rd trimester of pregnancy - not something I can mess around with unfortunately. sowwy!

Old 01-06-2009, 09:40 AM

1,190 posts, read 4,049,535 times
Default reply

we went to 42nd Street just before Christmas and it was great as usual. I had raw oysters and chowder and my wife had broiled grouper. The red snapper is always good. I have never had a bad oyster there. They serve nothing but select oysters.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:14 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,757,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncletupelo View Post
we went to 42nd Street just before Christmas and it was great as usual. I had raw oysters and chowder and my wife had broiled grouper. The red snapper is always good. I have never had a bad oyster there. They serve nothing but select oysters.
Uncle T, are the oysters there from NC? I love raw oysters. But unfortunately I've had a few not so good ones in my life. ugh!

Here in Durham I had some raw oysters right before Christmas too. But mine was provided via my Daddy. I don't usually eat raw oysters unless I can see the water when I'm eatting. But I made an exception since they came out the sound the day before.

Sounds like 42nd Street might be a good place to make the exception too.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:26 AM

Default reply

very few oysters come from our state any longer. the beds were contaminated back in the 80's and really decimated our commercial harvest. Most now come from LA or FLa gulf. Appolachacola Fla produces a ton of oysters. We do however produce the most blue crab in the US. Maryland is sure glad for that.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:36 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,757,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncletupelo View Post
very few oysters come from our state any longer. the beds were contaminated back in the 80's and really decimated our commercial harvest. Most now come from LA or FLa gulf. Appolachacola Fla produces a ton of oysters. We do however produce the most blue crab in the US. Maryland is sure glad for that.
That's right! I had forgotten about that. It was the beach development and all the run off from pig farms that did in most of the beds. Now I remember.

My Daddy gets his from private oyster beds in Onslow & Pender Counties. But he has to check before he goes out to see if the Fish & Wildlife has closed the area for the day. As much rain as they have been getting I'm sure they are closed today.

Thanks for the reminder!

Old 01-06-2009, 11:14 AM

Default reply

those nc oysters are so awesome. i love the salty taste that they have.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:06 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
I might swing by the oyster bar today to check things out. Will report back later!

Please keep those responses coming. At some point I will need to get a rough head-count.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary