Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 06:00 PM

56 posts, read 185,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
Los Tres Magueyes? On The Border? Taco Cabana? And you call yourself a Texan?
Now I love some good authentic mexican food. Sometimes a chain like those will do in a pinch. We live in Franklinton so we dont get to go into Raleigh all the time to eat...LOL. Here lately we havent eaten out much. If there is a good hole in the wall place in Wake Forrest, we will try it.

Hell yea, I'm a Texan.. I got my Texas flag up in my garage, and my smoker pit came here with us. I make a mean good smoked brisket. . But I dont drink Lonestar...LOL. That stuff is nasty, but you cant get it here anyway. Now Shiner....thats alright.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 08:49 PM

99 posts, read 306,346 times
Any Texans reading this, if you know of someplace that's got a creamy jalapeno dip like Chuy's please tell me where it is! Otherwise I'm going to have to try to make it myself and that is just asking for disaster.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:24 PM

171 posts, read 450,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolligrump View Post
Tacos Mexico, (in Apex)
209 E Williams St
Apex, NC 27502
Phone: (919) 362-8074
It doesn't look like much from the outside, but is nice and clean and being from Southern AZ and then TX, I do believe it's pretty close to what we like. The roast beef is definitely spiced with the seasoning of Northern Mexico, with that Southwest Indian touch. Enjoy!
1) I have never seen so many Mexican restaurants in one area outside the southwest as I've scene since moving here. I love Mexican food but haven't been to a single Mexican restaurant since moving here. It is time.

2) I've had my eye on Tacos Mexico and just wasn't sure if I should give it a try. It looked a little sketchy, but sometimes those are the best places. I'll give it a try.

3) Someone told me that one of the best places for authentic Mexican food around here is, well it isn't really a restaurant, the gas station at Penny Road and 1010. Can anyone confirm?

Old 01-05-2009, 10:55 PM

415 posts, read 1,106,865 times
>>Jenny_B waves at Ned<<

Hey Ned! Haven't see you around here in ages! Welcome back :-)

I've been following this thread and taking notes. I've eaten at Las Margaritas twice (under duress) and found them to be marginally acceptable. The carnitas were darn good, I have to admit that!

Old 01-06-2009, 06:45 AM

5,729 posts, read 17,537,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NedB View Post
3) Someone told me that one of the best places for authentic Mexican food around here is, well it isn't really a restaurant, the gas station at Penny Road and 1010. Can anyone confirm?
I live about 10 minutes down the road from this gas station. I'll try it out and report back.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:08 AM

744 posts, read 1,257,864 times
Default Tonali in Durham

My wife is of Mexican decent and we have visited Merida, Mexico and the Yucan and Quintana Roo areas of Mexico often. Our favorite Mexican restaurant in the area is Tonali. The chef at Tonali is really trying to represent what authentic Mexican cuisine is all about. He also uses locally sourced ingedients as much as possible. It's not the greatest ambiance and the service can be a little spotty at times but the prices are reasonable for what they are serving.

As for taquerias, I agree with the other poster who suggested Los Comales and Super, in Durham as well.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sant View Post
My wife is of Mexican decent and we have visited Merida, Mexico and the Yucan and Quintana Roo areas of Mexico often. Our favorite Mexican restaurant in the area is Tonali. .
Drat! That's 37 miles from our house. Seems kinda rediculous to go 2 hours round trip for a meal. Perhaps if we happen to be already in the neighborhood we'll check it out.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:30 PM

516 posts, read 1,883,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
Drat! That's 37 miles from our house. Seems kinda rediculous to go 2 hours round trip for a meal. Perhaps if we happen to be already in the neighborhood we'll check it out.
Obviously NOT a CA transplant

Old 01-06-2009, 01:24 PM

5 posts, read 59,177 times
I have lived in the Raleigh area my whole life, and can say that the best mexican food around is done by Las Palmas. They have many locations, but the best ones that I have been to are at Wake Forest (near the factory) and in the shopping center at I-540 and Leesville Rd. Toreros and Los Tres Mageyes (sp?) are good alternatives.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony23 View Post
Obviously NOT a CA transplant
Nope. TX.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary