U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 02:06 PM

14 posts, read 21,457 times

Advertisements

We are planning a quick sun break in late February - you know sun, pool and beach.

How south do we have go to make sure to get that. Would hate to end up in the opposite weather. Florida ? - Jacksonville ? - Miami ? or do we have to go to Mexico, Caribbeans or such
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 09:38 AM

2,835 posts, read 6,980,729 times
I think the beach in NC would be out. Here is the average February Temps:
Sun would be in but heat would be out!

[CENTER]February
Normal High: 59°F
Normal Low: 35°F
Normal Average 47F

If I was forced into a decision like yours I would head to the Caribbean. Yo Mama! [/CENTER]

Old 01-05-2009, 09:40 AM

415 posts, read 1,054,771 times
What temperature do you need to feel that you're in a warm and sunny climate? I grew up in a beach town in South Florida and wouldn't be caught dead in the ocean in February, but the visiting yankees would swim and sunbathe all through January and February.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:49 AM

1,190 posts, read 3,861,573 times
Default reply

key west is nice in feb. highs are about 77 and low 66. we have been there several times in feb/march and the water was comfortable. it got in to the low 80's two days when we were last there in feb. the sun sure seems hotter down there.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:37 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,315,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny_B View Post
What temperature do you need to feel that you're in a warm and sunny climate? I grew up in a beach town in South Florida and wouldn't be caught dead in the ocean in February, but the visiting yankees would swim and sunbathe all through January and February.
This is key! I am also from S FL and would never go to the beach, or pool for that matter, in February. However, that is "the season" when we would get the most tourists, because I guess that cold sensitivity is relative to what you are coming from. The water is probably still pretty warm by most people's standards, but when I lived there it seemed cold to me! Before I lived in north FL, temps in the 60s were considered "cold weater" Miami would be warm, but expensive and filled with tourists this time of year. If you want more of a tropical island feel there is always the Florida Keys. The Sanibel Island area on the Gulf Coast of FL is nice as well.

Anything from Orlando north in FL gets a bit more of a "winter" so I would not recommend Jacksonville in February if you want real warmth.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:05 PM

551 posts, read 2,192,439 times
We love Mexico in February. We've been getting great deals in Cancun that time of year and it's just hot enough without being stifling. Best to hit pre-spring break.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:12 PM

592 posts, read 869,688 times
2920-
We used to live in Gainesville, FL, and you could bank on some sweet (by upper Southern standards) beach weather in late Feb. just south of St. Augustine, FL --Crescent Beach. Those w/ the very thinnest of blood would say Vero Beach or south, but I'm going w/ Crescent. That's a 'quick' 8 to 9 hour car ride from Durham... (not sure where you're writing from) I-40 to I-95 south a ways and you're there.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:25 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,447,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2920 View Post
We are planning a quick sun break in late February - you know sun, pool and beach.

How south do we have go to make sure to get that. Would hate to end up in the opposite weather. Florida ? - Jacksonville ? - Miami ? or do we have to go to Mexico, Caribbeans or such
You'll get mid 60s maybe low 70s in and around Jacksonville during late Feb but low to mid 60s is kind of cold to me but you maybe fine. I definitely wouldn't get in the water in any part of FL during that time of the year but the sun will be out and its only a 8 to 9 hour drive to get to the beaches in Jacksonville or St Augustine or 2 hours by plane connecting through ATL. It'll definitely be warmer there than it will be in this area but not like 75 or 80 degrees. If you want that you need to go to Miami or the Caribbean. Maybe you want to go to Jacksonville tommorow, its supposed to be 80 degrees and sunny. It was in the 80s in Jacksonville for the two week Christmas break.

Last edited by he's so hott; 01-05-2009 at 07:36 PM..

Old 01-05-2009, 07:45 PM

1,190 posts, read 3,861,573 times
Default reply

check out heronhouse.com website and click on the picture gallery. this is a cool inn in key west that my wife and i have stayed at several times. we are going back in feb. really cool and super relaxing.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:29 PM

3,650 posts, read 8,799,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2920 View Post

I give up: What does this have to do with RTP area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>