U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2009, 12:23 PM

373 posts, read 1,122,261 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

Me and the wife are looking to buy a house around the end of July when our current lease is up. We have been trying to get a feel for the area since we just moved here from MI last July. When would be a good time to get a buyers agent since we aren't looking to move until July? We don't want to waste the agents time but we also do not want to be rushed into a big decision. Thanks in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 01:28 PM

675 posts, read 1,736,334 times
In our experience, we found our buyer's agent in exactly the same way... We may have even been further away from being ready to buy than you are, even. I think if expectations and some sort of rough timeline are laid out in advance, you shouldn't have a problem. Our agent put zero pressure on us, and was very helpful in educating us on many aspects of homebuying, since we're buying our first house.

I'd be happy to give you our agent's name - We have nothing but the most glowing things to say about her. And being in the business I am, I know what good customer service is when it comes to huge financial transactions. PM if you'd like more info.

Old 01-05-2009, 01:55 PM

546 posts, read 1,592,903 times
Anytime really, is a good time for a buyers agent if you know you will be moving here at some point. I worked with a fantastic buyers agent down here while I still lived up north. The way the houses were selling, it took us over a year to get down here. The whole time she kept her eyes out for us, sent us packets of local information and local magazines. We ended up renting at the end instead of buying, and she drove my husband all over to look at the rentals we narrowed down. I will definitely be using her again when it is time for us to buy.
So really, there is not bad time to find one, unless you ahve already signed paperwork with a sellers agent

Old 01-05-2009, 02:18 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,434,235 times
One thing to keep in mind is if you are looking at new home developments, make sure you tell the onsite agent you have a buyer's agent, or they may not pay their commission if their brought in the equation at a later date.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:25 PM

2,834 posts, read 11,515,059 times
Every situation is different, some people only have a short time to buy a home, others can do it more leisurely. I don't mind going and looking at houses with people, and I always feel like each house gives me more insight into what my clients are looking for, and it helps me figure out some houses that might work for them. Going and looking at houses is fun for me, though! You need to understand that most agents are used to people looking at a lot of houses, it is a part of the process. I always tell people that they are making a huge decision, and this is probably the only time in their lives that they will spend this kind of money and they need to be sure!

Find an agent you click with, and go from there. Definitely get a buyer's agent, it doesn't cost you a thing, and can only help you in the end.

good luck!

Leigh

Old 01-05-2009, 02:34 PM

39,586 posts, read 68,643,811 times
I agree with the above posts. You shouldn't feel pressured to select a home or an agent.

Your agent-to-be would also prefer to get an early start, to build the relationship and knowledge to serve you well. Proceeding slowly and gaining confidence in each other is better than making the jump into hyperspace from a dead start.

It is not too soon to touch base and begin to feel out how you respond to various agents, and how they respond to you.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:47 PM

174 posts, read 548,270 times
We worked with our agent for more than a year before relocating! I would say that now would be a great time to find an agent. We adored our agent, so PM me if you want a referral.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:23 PM

12,470 posts, read 30,549,384 times
I agree that now is a good time to start interviewing for your Buyer's Agent.

Our typical time from contract to close is 30 days so you have plenty of time to find your perfect new home BUT in the meantime, a buyer's agent can educate you to the process and also begin searching for you.

The more time you spend with your agent, either email or phone or in person, the more you'll be ready to buy when it is closer to your time line.

Vicki

Old 01-05-2009, 09:15 PM

1,539 posts, read 5,324,251 times
Never too soon. I worked with people from 1-2 years before they bought and we really got to know each other so well and have become great friends as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary