Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 04:44 PM

746 posts, read 2,247,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp200 View Post
At which steakhouse can you order one well done and they don't hate you, mock you, or give you one that fell on the floor?

I know, it's sacrilege, but that's the way I roll...
it's the piece of gristle taken from the filet marked "save for sunday" in the cooler
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 04:45 PM

675 posts, read 1,833,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
I second the criticism of Angus Barn. The steaks are now very overpriced for their current quality. Outback has better steak than the Angus Barn.

Perhaps Angus is on the way out.
My thing with Angus Barn is all the hokey stuff on the walls and the kids running around screaming. The food's decent, but if I'm paying 40 bucks for a piece of meat, I want to feel more like I'm sitting in a country cub than the mickey mouse club.

Old 01-06-2009, 04:56 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,049,535 times
Default reply

i love all of the stuff hanging on the walls and Carbine William's gun collection and all of the signed photos. I have eaten there over 100 times in my life and have never had screaming kids running around. I love the atmosphere. Just ask for one of the more private side rooms. They will serve you in The Wild Turkey lounge as well. To many of us that are from Raleigh, The Barn is a special place.

Last edited by uncletupelo; 01-06-2009 at 05:58 PM..

Old 01-06-2009, 05:04 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,396,894 times
Chop House Grill in Cary is top notch. Melt in your mouth.

I have been disappointed with many of the locally owned joints around the Triangle. We have tried a few in Raleigh and have walked away very unsatisfied. I much prefer the better chains like Chop House Grill, Stonewood Grill an so on.

Old 01-06-2009, 05:08 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,049,535 times
Default chains

why does that not surprise me. This area is blessed to have some OUTSTANDING locally owned restaurants. Try a meal at Bloomsbury Bistro or Magnolia Grill and tell me that you don't like it. There are 20 more places like this that often get written up in national foodie mags. Please tell me all of the poor quality local places that you have tried? Can you list them for us?

Old 01-06-2009, 05:24 PM

516 posts, read 1,888,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelark View Post
Thank you for prompt responses. I am checking out all these restaurants menus as we speak. Criticisms of atmosphere have gotten me thinking that I definitely want to avoid a bar/pub kind of atmosphere, something fairly classy/romantic might keep me in the wifes good books. Would this dismiss anyones suggestions?
I've been to three different Ruth's Chris steakhouses - Irvine, Las Vegas, and Raleigh North Hills. They vary a lot by location. Irvine is loud and boisterous, and rather crowded. North Hills (which just opened a few months ago) is classy and elegant - just what you're asking for.

I've only been to one Fleming's. Their quality is really close to Ruth's Chris. The atmosphere there was also very nice - but I don't know what the local Fleming's is like (it's at Crabtree, BTW).

Of course, you could always drive to Charlotte and visit Mortons

Old 01-06-2009, 05:39 PM

675 posts, read 1,833,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncletupelo View Post
i love all of the stuff hanging on the walls and Carbine Williams gun collection and all of the signed photos. I have eaten there over 100 times in my life and have never had screaming kids running around. I love the atmosphere. Just ask for one of the more private side rooms. They will serve you in The Wild Turkey lounge as well. To most of that are from here the Barn is a special place.
You're absolutely right - the place is an institution, and there are many options for seating to not deal with loud children. Heck, it's my wife's favorite place, and I've happily gone there many times. In fact, we usually alternate between AB and Capital City Chop House when we go out for steak, which is 4-5 times a year, tops.

I have zero complaints about the food. I'm just saying, when I drop $200 on dinner for two, I like to be in a bit more... sedate environment.

Old 01-06-2009, 05:45 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyO View Post
You're absolutely right - the place is an institution, and there are many options for seating to not deal with loud children. Heck, it's my wife's favorite place, and I've happily gone there many times. In fact, we usually alternate between AB and Capital City Chop House when we go out for steak, which is 4-5 times a year, tops.

I have zero complaints about the food. I'm just saying, when I drop $200 on dinner for two, I like to be in a bit more... sedate environment.
You can call ahead at The Barn and they'll happily seat you where ever you'd like to sit. I like being upstairs by the window that faces Glenwood Avenue. I can't tell you how many times I've asked for that table and they happily reserve it for me. They are the most accomodating restaurant that I have ever eaten at! And they are STILL a 5 star restaurant and I don't know anyone that has ever had a bad meal there.

Y'all go ahead and eat your $9.99 steak at Outback and I'll happily be at The Barn!

Something for everyone...ain't Raleigh great?!!

Vicki

Old 01-06-2009, 06:22 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,694,803 times
For local steaks I like Bin 54 in Chapel Hill. There's also a great place in Oxford called The House of Ribeyes. They cook the steaks right in front of you.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:23 PM

239 posts, read 1,092,535 times
Angus Barn is only a 3 star restaurant per Mobile Travel rating. I think Fearrington is the only 5 star in the state. (which for me is too stuffy and quiet). We like the Angus, but my husband prefers Sullivan for its decor and location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary