U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-07-2007, 07:56 AM
 
48 posts, read 174,828 times
Reputation: 34

Advertisements

I'll be moving soon to Durham and would like to know if anyone can recommend good carribean restaurants, Guyanese, Jamaican, Trinidadian or Dominican
Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-08-2007, 05:40 AM
 
Location: Durham, NC
45 posts, read 205,179 times
Reputation: 40
Default RE: Carribean Restaurants in Durham

From the Durham Convention & Visitors Bureau website, here is a search of all Durham restaurants:

http://www.durham-nc.com/dining/eat_index.php#search (broken link)

You can select Carribean as a Cuisine type and see Durham options. (Jamaica Jamaica has been reviewed by Southeast regional press.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawo View Post
I'll be moving soon to Durham and would like to know if anyone can recommend good carribean restaurants, Guyanese, Jamaican, Trinidadian or Dominican
Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2007, 11:23 AM
 
48 posts, read 174,828 times
Reputation: 34
thanx i checked it out was great help
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2007, 11:29 AM
 
1,531 posts, read 7,080,921 times
Reputation: 493
I visited Jamaica Jamaica a few years ago...pretty good food from what I recall. It's in an odd location though...closer to RTP than to the main core of Durham.

Carribean restaurants just haven't hit it big in the Triangle yet, I'm afraid, so the choices are still slim.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2007, 01:44 PM
 
567 posts, read 2,025,479 times
Reputation: 141
Bahama Breeze in North Raleigh (Wake Forest Rd.) is the only other restaurant that I can think of that is close.

I've also been to Jamaica Jamaica and liked it. Not the best ambiance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2007, 05:53 PM
 
Location: Fairhaven, MA
157 posts, read 591,927 times
Reputation: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawo View Post
I'll be moving soon to Durham and would like to know if anyone can recommend good carribean restaurants, Guyanese, Jamaican, Trinidadian or Dominican
Thanks
There's a place on 9th street in Downtown Durham that offers caribbean style food...I can't remember the name...There's also a place on route 55 near my job that offers carribean/hispanic style food that i've heard is pretty good...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2007, 06:16 PM
 
1,531 posts, read 7,080,921 times
Reputation: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnene2k View Post
There's a place on 9th street in Downtown Durham that offers caribbean style food...I can't remember the name...There's also a place on route 55 near my job that offers carribean/hispanic style food that i've heard is pretty good...
The place on 9th is, I believe, Blue Corn Cafe....which is "Latin American", so it depends on your definition if that includes Caribbean.
And I think the one on Hwy 55 is the "Jamaica Jamaica" we're talking about above.

As for Bahama Breeze...that's a chain and from what I could tell, not authenic at all. But it's a chain so that's expected.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2007, 02:20 PM
 
Location: Fairhaven, MA
157 posts, read 591,927 times
Reputation: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighRob View Post
The place on 9th is, I believe, Blue Corn Cafe....which is "Latin American", so it depends on your definition if that includes Caribbean.
And I think the one on Hwy 55 is the "Jamaica Jamaica" we're talking about above.

As for Bahama Breeze...that's a chain and from what I could tell, not authenic at all. But it's a chain so that's expected.
The place I'm talking about on 9th street is not Blue Corn...I know about Blue Corn as I've seen it and I think it is more mexican...The place I'm talking about is right by Blue Corn and it is Caribbean Style foods...I know as I am Puerto Rican and seen their menu which includes foods like Mofongo, Amarillos, and fried plantains which are are all caribbean style foods I am familiar with...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2007, 10:43 AM
 
1,531 posts, read 7,080,921 times
Reputation: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnene2k View Post
The place I'm talking about on 9th street is not Blue Corn...I know about Blue Corn as I've seen it and I think it is more mexican...The place I'm talking about is right by Blue Corn and it is Caribbean Style foods...
Wow...must be a bit newer. Been a while since I've had a chance to hang out on Ninth St...looks like I need to get up there and explore some of the newer restaurants there! thanks for the tip.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:50 AM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top