Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 11:22 PM

18 posts, read 78,596 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I appreciate everyone's help in making my decision to move to Raleigh to be closer to family, but now I am not sure that I can afford to given the current state of the economy. I can transfer my supermarket job, but it will not be enough to support me for long given the higher cost of living compared to the town from which I am moving. I was plannng on trying to find something else eventually, but the posts on the job market are disheartening. Is it really that bad? Should I wait until next year? (my apartment will not let me do a six month lease)

I have just graduated with a degree in Anthropology and have experience as a receptionist, veterinary assistant, and administrative assistant in addition to retail.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 12:17 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seraph View Post
Hi,
I appreciate everyone's help in making my decision to move to Raleigh to be closer to family, but now I am not sure that I can afford to given the current state of the economy. I can transfer my supermarket job, but it will not be enough to support me for long given the higher cost of living compared to the town from which I am moving. I was plannng on trying to find something else eventually, but the posts on the job market are disheartening. Is it really that bad? Should I wait until next year? (my apartment will not let me do a six month lease)

I have just graduated with a degree in Anthropology and have experience as a receptionist, veterinary assistant, and administrative assistant in addition to retail.

Thank you!
The jobs you listed pay mainly poverty wages here.

If you can't get a university job, better renew your lease and try next year.

Old 01-18-2009, 01:26 AM

305 posts, read 713,712 times
Quote:
would it be a bad idea to assume I can relocate and find a job?
It would be a catastrophic idea.

Old 01-18-2009, 04:08 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,601,554 times
Quote:
Should I wait until next year?
That would be the safe thing to do.

Old 01-18-2009, 05:04 AM

324 posts, read 1,528,233 times
i moved here 8 years ago without a job but found one within a month...but with how things are now not so sure...i'd say wait a little bit

Old 01-18-2009, 05:23 AM

1,495 posts, read 3,721,021 times
don't put undue stress upon yourself . . .we moved without jobs but we had a substantial nest egg so without that I would hold off . .doesn't mean you can't move but just not right now . . blessings.

Old 01-18-2009, 06:19 AM

746 posts, read 2,247,810 times
why not float your resume and see what sort of responses you get? You said you want to be closer to family - can they let you stay with them for an extended period of time until you get settled?

The reality in this job market is that ALL GOOD EMPLOYEES are hard to find. For the last 6 years we've been here there has been a glut of jobs and therefore a monkey could get one. The slackass attitudes of lazy employees isn't acceptible in this market - and lots of companies are shuttering doors. In the second of those scenarios, regardless of your skill, likability, or otherwise, you may have a hard time finding a job with a livable wage.

I digress. Ultimately, you must make your own decisions. If living near family is your goal, work toward it, and find ways to make it happen.

Old 01-18-2009, 06:33 AM

850 posts, read 4,741,012 times
I would start getting your resume out there like a pp mentioned and see what bites you get. It's certainly a tough market right now, but you just never know. You could get lucky. But I wouldn't plan on coming here until you have something rock solid that you can make a liveable wage with. It's great that you have family here and if it's possible to stay with them a bit, even better. But I'm sure you don't want it to turn into a situation where months go by without a job and you wear out your welcome. Moving here should be an exciting opportunity for you and I wouldn't ruin that by making the move hastily and starting off on the wrong foot.

Good luck!

Old 01-18-2009, 11:27 AM

6 posts, read 19,550 times
We moved here on the whim and it was difficult for about one month, but then again I moved here at the worst time, during winter season!

SO my wife found a part time job and I eventually landed a full time job in the IT field doing tech support, not great work, but the pay is good.

I agree with an earlier statement that employers are sick of lazy people who give poor performance. People want value for their money, both the consumer and the business. Why pay someone good wages and receive horrible work from them?

There is excellent rental property around here! We were paying $950 per month in West Palm Beach Florida for a 1/1 and on top of that $200 electric bills! We moved here and the rent is $750 and our electric is $50, gas is $35-40 and water $28. It amazed me that our car insurance more than dropped...BY HALF! We saved close to $1000 just in bill reduction per month. This meant we can also make less money while on our way to finding better jobs.

The economy sucks right now, but one thing people are overlooking is the fact that our economy is more diverse than it once was back in the 1930's! We will pull through this, hopefully some morons at AIG and the other institutions will eventually face fraud and corruption charges! Then maybe someone will learn a lesson about giving someone a $250,000 mortgage when they only make $30,000 per year!

Good luck I say! If you so desire to move here and you can only find retail jobs that don't really pay, perhaps make a sacrifice and take two jobs. When there is a will to make it, it will happen.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:44 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,095,324 times
Don't move now. Areas being hard hit, I read, are: IT, management, and CLERICAL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary