Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 11:58 AM

693 posts, read 2,760,877 times

Advertisements

I am totally in favor. I wish they were banned in the entire state actually. What do you think?

Old 03-07-2007, 12:28 PM

36 posts, read 100,387 times
Default in favor

I agree...love dogs...but pitbulls seem to cause so many problems....maybe owners should be made to have insurance?

Old 03-07-2007, 12:57 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,255,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbait View Post
I agree...love dogs...but pitbulls seem to cause so many problems....maybe owners should be made to have insurance?
I'm a terrier fan. It's too bad the pitbull has been turned into such an aggressor by humans through breeding. But, I agree with the ban even though I know people that have gentle ones.

Old 03-07-2007, 01:03 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,667,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grass Is Greener View Post
I am totally in favor. I wish they were banned in the entire state actually. What do you think?
I wish bad pet owners were banned....not any breed.

We often go to the dog parks around her and witout a doubt the well cared for and socialized pit bulls there are some of the sweetest dogs there. My 20 pound ball of fluff often seeks them out to play with because they play nice and are often more submissive then he is!

Don't ban a breed.....there is not such thing as a 'bad breed'...ban stupid people that abuse dogs, don't know how to care for them and turn them mean.

Old 03-07-2007, 01:12 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,033,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
I wish bad pet owners were banned....not any breed.

We often go to the dog parks around her and witout a doubt the well cared for and socialized pit bulls there are some of the sweetest dogs there. My 20 pound ball of fluff often seeks them out to play with because they play nice and are often more submissive then he is!

Don't ban a breed.....there is not such thing as a 'bad breed'...ban stupid people that abuse dogs, don't know how to care for them and turn them mean.
I definitely agree, ban the bad owners! We have had two great danes and have taken great care in making sure they were well trained, and that they knew we were the alpha dogs in the house. I think many people, regardless of the breed, can train dogs badly. On the flip side though, I think there needs to be more inspection of the breeding process. We bought our last dog from a breeder and he ended up with some major health issues, and we called the breeder to let him know (so that he would not breed those two dogs again) and he was quite dismissive of us. So, there needs to be responsibility on both ends of the process.

Leigh

Old 03-07-2007, 01:28 PM

3,457 posts, read 4,653,220 times
It all boils down to the owner. We used to live right next door to people who owned a pit bull. The found the dog abandoned with bite marks all over it and brought it home with them and they had a 6 year old little girl in the house. It got very bad when the pit bull attacked another dog on our front lawn. It jumped up on the owner of the other dog and put some serious scratches on her as well as knocking down their little girl. The pit bull would lunge after other people all the time but the owners insisted it was a good family dog.

How can someone be so blind as to think their dog is a good dog when it does this?

I also disagree with Desdemona about their being no "bad breed". Some dog breeds simply have a genetic tendency towards aggression.

Old 03-07-2007, 01:30 PM

139 posts, read 636,390 times
I agree also. Ban the owners... I used to hate pit bulls, but have come across some of the best dogs you ever met and they were pit bulls. It comes down to the owner. Pit Bulls with Jack Russells. What a blast

I should add that I'm not totally against the ban. You are never going to be able to ban the owners. Let's face it. People who breed dogs to be aggressive are always going to be around and Pit Bulls seem to be the breed of choice for these people.

Last edited by KirbyJRT; 03-07-2007 at 01:40 PM..

Old 03-07-2007, 01:40 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,667,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
I also disagree with Desdemona about their being no "bad breed". Some dog breeds simply have a genetic tendency towards aggression.
Rather simplistic. Some lines within a breed can have a tendency towards aggression...and some breeds need more physical challenges to remain happy and stable (you don't want board rotties, pits, dobermans etc)...but not one of them, as an entire breed is any meaner then any other.

Old 03-07-2007, 01:50 PM

823 posts, read 3,922,824 times
What I noticed moving from Chapel Hill to State College, PA, is how much better the leash and fence laws are obeyed in State College. I don't know if enforcement is an issue. I was attacked and bitten by two mutts in Chapel Hill. Fortunately, it was the second attack by the dogs so they were removed from the irresponsible owner. I hate walking or biking by houses where the dogs are free to run and threaten. There was a boy who was killed by a pit bull in Durham a few years ago.

Old 03-07-2007, 02:00 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,644,217 times
I lived most of my life in an area that "banned" pit bulls, but honestly it did nothing to protect people from the dogs that actually posed a real threat. The most aggressive pit bulls are trained as fighting dogs by their owners, and if the owner is breaking one law, what makes anyone think they are going to obey another that they know is difficult to enforce? Besides, pit bulls are not the only dogs that are capable of attacking people. I think stricter enforcement of leash and fence laws would be far more effective. How about free obedience training for risky breeds that goes hand in hand with registering the animal? That way legitimate owners can have "certified" trained animals. I'm guessing that obedience training might be cost prohibitive for some owners whose dogs might actually benefit from it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary