Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 10:03 AM

1 posts, read 1,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry884 View Post
Wow, you really think NC will survive after the new president brings corruption to our country that has been perfect for the last 8 years? I think the whole country will quite *obviously* collapse. What were we all thinking, voting for hope and change? (In other words: your status line distracts from any point you try to make. You're alienating 55% of the people who read your posts, including me.)
don't bring politics into home searching.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:21 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,198,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
I can say that this area is worth a look for you. Maybe it won't be your choice in the end, bit it offers a lot and is worth consideration.
no argument there.

Quote:
I see a tremendous amount of misinformation and broad generalizations spouted out by some that don't want more people to come here.
Oh good, the pot/kettle thing. Broad generalizations? You mean like:
Quote:
us transplants have a much better appreciation of the Triangle. We came from something far worse, more recently.
or this?
Quote:
We have excellent growth, a very balanced industry makeup and highly educated residents.
or this?
Quote:
There have been employers laying off, but others hiring.
And you are the one spouting misinformation, eg about the tax rates and higher gas prices and vehicle maintenance, which has NOTHING to do inherently with living in MA vs NC.

Quote:
But I am here to point out the real deal.
I sincerely hope (and happily suspect) no one reading this thread is foolish enough to think you have a lock on "the real deal." What real deal is this, that Cary is better than the tiny, middle-of-nowhere repressed MA town you came from (which you won't even name)? So? The idea that this means Cary (and/or the rest of NC) is therefore so amazing or wonderful for everyone is pretty ridiculous - and although you may not have said that outright (and I give you credit for providing caveats), you have implied as much at diff times, whether intended or not. PS your glaring anti-MA bias in general (eg "Boston is a pit" - gee no misinformation or broad generalizations there) only further brings your objectivity into question. Oh and a quote from some "expert" economist who lives in the same area also doesn't exactly strike me as terribly objective either.

Don't get me wrong; if you have no hidden agenda but are putting up misleading posts due to your euphoria at being here, I'm glad things worked out for you; we're just trying to keep the perspective here grounded in reality vs some pie-in-the-sky thing. Cary being better than Wherever, MA hardly means Cary is "the" place to be - likewise for NC vs MA in general. PS calling Boston "a pit" I find odd as it's extremely rich in culture, history, etc - further, unless it's changed a lot in the last few years or so, it is actually overall a cleaner and IMO prettier city/area than Raleigh (not that Raleigh is bad). I wouldn't consider moving there due to cost of housing - your point(s) there are good - just pointing out that there are many factors to consider when looking at an area to live. For ex, Boston has a LOT more job possibilities (generally) than Raleigh/the "Triangle" (as you'd expect being a much larger area). Again, pros and cons both ways, and it is only this balanced viewpoint some of us are trying to stress to people reading this forum who may see the "NC is so amazing" posts and think it's the answer to all their problems - a foolish and in fact VERY dangerous attitude to have.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:24 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,645,974 times
East Brookfield is more similar to Charlton than Cary...

Boston cannot be compared to Raleigh. The cities are so much larger in the Northeast. We couldn't afford to live near Boston anymore. That meant a longer commute and a decreased quality of life.

But it's too hard to compare apples to oranges...

And anything outside of Route 495 does not get a lot of attention in MA. That could probably be said for NC also outside of the Triangle and Charlotte as far as jobs are concerned. Maybe the Triad also. I don't hear about to many jobs in Asheville or Wilimington or other parts of the state.

Quote:
  1. I live in a burb now.
  2. The last place I lived in MA was not Charlton.
  3. If I lived near Boston to reduce the vehicle expense, then I would have had to pay 4 times the price to have the same type home, so that would have cost me even more.
  4. My comparison is just that. MINE. This is what moving to Cary from MA did for me. I cannot add more disclaimers than I do, but people just don't seem to want to pay attention to that. They seem to want to think that I am stating that every single person on the planet will save as much as I did. I guess it's easier to play that game, then just accept the fact that I was able to move from an area that cost me a lot more money and offered absolutely nothing, to an area that absolutely blows away where I lived in MA and saved a lot of money doing it. And it has nothing to do with selling an expensive house there to buy a cheap one here, as I am in the same ballpark with home prices. Had I moved from near Boston to here, I wouldn't even be working now because of the windfall.
Summary - Life where I lived in MA was expensive, hard, cold and boring as could be. Life in Cary (and it could be really good in other towns here as well) is inexpensive, easy, pleasant, exciting and everything I could ask for.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:50 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,561,962 times
Quote:
That's not bad at all. It's only 34% higher than Cary. Congratulations.

Michael Walden, Economist, states that Cary is one of the best places in the country to ride out the recession. I think he got that from me.

Cary Is A Great Place To Ride Out Recession - Cary - MyNC.com

"We will not feel the effects of the recession as much here and will rebound faster," Walden said. "This is still a place that people want to move to, so the economic opportunities are going to come back and we're going to see further growth in this local market in years ahead."

"Thus far in the recession, the Raleigh-Cary metro area has actually added jobs," Walden said. "I think that indicates although the recession is being felt here specifically in real estate, this is still a stronger job market than we've seen in other areas."
That actually doesn't make any sense. Cary is ONE town...the Rochester MSA is a whole metro area. I'm sure if you took the unemployment rate of several of the suburban towns around here, you'd have numbers much lower than 5.9%; just as Cary probably has a lower unemployment rate than the triangle as a whole. But you can't compare just Cary to the whole Rochester metro; you'd have to compare the two MSA's. And when you do; the Unemployment rate here is lower than in the Raleigh-Cary MSA. Just facts.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:52 AM

142 posts, read 357,576 times
I live and work in Massachusetts and I'm here to tell you that we are doing OK and managing to survive despite the doom and gloom Chalton Dude is espousing. I am considering relocating from Mass to a warmer climate but in the meantime I manage to get out of bed and drive to work on roads that are in pretty good shape at a business with a really nice new building where I have a good job and to top it off I still have Hope, along with my neighbors, where we live in town that still provides services and is in no danger of shutting down.

Quote:
No. I check with family and friends from the area I lived in MA and they tell me it is horrible. They cannot believe how bad it is and they are leaving one by one. They can't take it anymore. Some have moved to NC and love it. When I go back home to visit, it is sad to see what it has become. Towns just about completely shut down. No infrastructure work. Roads and buildings falling apart. No business, no jobs, no hope. It is night and day compared to the Triangle. Although the Triangle has slowed, it is kicking the butt of the area in MA that I lived. God we are so damn lucky to be here now.

Old 01-11-2009, 11:16 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,645,974 times
Glad to hear not all the towns in MA are having the demise that East Brookfield is

Quote:
Originally Posted by VerBoston View Post
I live and work in Massachusetts and I'm here to tell you that we are doing OK and managing to survive despite the doom and gloom Chalton Dude is espousing. I am considering relocating from Mass to a warmer climate but in the meantime I manage to get out of bed and drive to work on roads that are in pretty good shape at a business with a really nice new building where I have a good job and to top it off I still have Hope, along with my neighbors, where we live in town that still provides services and is in no danger of shutting down.

Old 01-11-2009, 11:58 AM

528 posts, read 1,460,517 times
The very people who flocked to the Triangle like "sheep" are likely to have helped cushion the Triangle from the brunt of this economic mess. Timing is everything.

For those of you that feel like this nice cozy "restaurant" is overcrowded and has service that's slipping, perhaps you should consider moving elsewhere since this is how you now feel about your area. I mean, why continue to beat your head against a wall by repeatedly visiting that restaurant? Show that restaurant who's boss and give another one your business!

Old 01-11-2009, 01:08 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,124,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtoNC! View Post
Please reserve judgement and assumption. Not everyone comes here to buy a McMansion -- even those in Cary! My husband and I searched this area for him to have a shorter commute and spend more time with family. And I must admit I don't like the cold. He applied for a job that offered a relo package. And we feel that God lead us here. Timing is everything. I don't know if we would be able to make this move today because of the economy. But we wouldn't have done it without a job reagardless.
Good to see that you're not one of the sheep.

Glad it worked for you. We love Raleigh and don't want it to sink to the level of NJ and similar places because of greed.

Best of luck to you.

Old 01-11-2009, 01:41 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,389,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtoNC! View Post
East Brookfield is more similar to Charlton than Cary...
EB is not even in the same league as Charlton. Charlton was not a bad little cow town, but EB is a dump. I never owned a home in EB, so not sure why you even bring that up, unless you owned there. The last home I owned was in a town in the vicinity of Quabbin Reservoir. Feel free to look up what a Quabbin Reservoir is. The reservoir area was quite nice. Cary and just about any town around the Triangle blows away Charlton, EB and my hometown in MA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Jenny B is just Jenny B.

Yes, she is. I know, because I work with her. Lucky me.

Old 01-11-2009, 01:48 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,150,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry884 View Post
Wow, you really think NC will survive after the new president brings corruption to our country that has been perfect for the last 8 years? I think the whole country will quite *obviously* collapse. What were we all thinking, voting for hope and change? (In other words: your status line distracts from any point you try to make. You're alienating 55% of the people who read your posts, including me.)
LOL that's awesome...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.